Wiper Transmission

-

Pito68

Reaction score
Wipers on my 74 Duster I just picked up are really sloppy found out last Saturday driving in the morning.
is there a rebuild kit for these or do I need to look for a good transmission/assy
Note* Wiper/Motor not so hot either. But That I can get rebuilt.

You need to specify two speed or three speed. The two speed motors are still available refurb. The three speeds are no longer available but you can still find the gear kit and park switch NOS occasionally. However I agree with above. The motor doesnt usually get sloppy but it is very common for the linkage bushings to go bad.
If you do bushings get them from the dealership. The aftermarket ones available these days only last about six months.

Sloppy as in too much play and noisy. Wiper/motor is slow like if you don't clean off the snow on your windshield
didn't pay attention to if it was a two or three speed.

Since you’ve got a 74, it has the plastic bushings holding arm linkages. A quick video is worth a thousand words. plus we could also instantly tell you if you have a two or three speed motor. Or is the motor black or a dark silver/gold colour?

On dry glass the wipers are going to drag quite a bit, especially if you just put new (soft) blades on.

It's a black wiper/motor assy.i had it on while it was raining medium rain coming down. Had there was a lot of resistance back and forth and noisy.

If the motor sticks straight out the firewall its a 2 speed. If it hangs down at an angle parallel to the firewall its a 3 speed. If your still in doubt see how many clicks your wiper switch moves.

If the wiper pivot assemblies are worn and/or binding, no brand of linkage bushings will last very long. We have a member here who properly renews door hinges, but I haven't seen anyone or anywhere who services the wiper pivots.
The seal kits available do include zerk fittings so we can fill pivot post cavity with grease.

I have rebuilt wiper pivots but it is a lot of work. Good ones are getting harder to come by.

I'll see what I can do gonna do a tear down and inspection of both things, been busy at work.
I had to do a EGR/COOLER on a Ford Power Stroke-(Power Choke) LOL. Yesterday not fun. And a
Turbo on 5.9 Cummings today. Bearings were roaring and oil filled inside. And broken studs. Not a good
past two days.

Inspected and the transmission is just plain worn out gonna see if Dodge can locate those bushings thanks for your help..

I have rebuilt wiper pivots but it is a lot of work. Good ones are getting harder to come by.
I have also. My 67 model primary pivot post was so worn I had to buy another secondary pivot and transplant the shaft from it. Only good thing about the task is the sintered bronze bushings are generic (off the shelf) sizes/dimensions. Just thinking... it's been about 12 years. So long that I can't recall those 3 dimensions.

-
Back