Wipers not returning to home position...

-

ClarkDart70

Street Machines Limited
Reaction score
Any ideas why my wipers will not return to their home position? Worked fine yesterday, but today keep running when I turn them off and when they do stop don't return home. Electrical or mechanical?

Clark

I had the same problem and it turned out that the switch wasen't getting good ground and thats what it needs to return to park postion when off

There is a park switch located inside the round cover held in place by several screws on the face of the wiper motor where its wires attach. This cover is clocked, so if you do remove it, be sure cover returns to the same exact position you found it during reassembly, under it is a slightly bent springy strip of metal the forms the park switch. That may be broken, dirty, bent or otherwise maladjusted, or one of the wires connecting to it has been compromised.

Before you open the wiper motor, check and correct any wiring problems between dash switch, bulkhead connector, and wiper motor. Also look under dash for broken wiper arm linkage bushings or other mechanical problems with linkage.

Reverse side of the switch plate is my guess also. Watch the clock position so you can return the switch plate to the correct position.

If you need some assist, shoot me an email :angel8:

What year/ model, and more important, are these 2 speed, 3 speed, or variable speed?

OK, great. Quite handily, you can download the exact manual you need which has a troubleshooting procedure. Instead of posting it here, I'll just feed you the link:

The thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

(You have to scroll around in there because some of the earlier posted links have been fixed further down)

Der link

[ame="http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/70%20Dart%20Challenger%20Serv%20Man1.pdf"]http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Mis...erv%20Man1.pdf[/ame]

Go to about page 8-66 and read down. You MUST be careful to pick the right procedure, as the 3 speed, variable speed, etc, are different

These systems are very tricky. The wiper switch in most cases MUST be grounded to operate properly, and the park actually reverses the motor and drives it down. (Described on page 8-65)

Interesting turn of events... I now have a faint ticking sound coming from the switch every 30 seconds. It is not engine rpm driven and I can feel the tick by placing my finger on the switch knob even with the wipers off. Any ideas?

Some? All? wiper switches have a circuit breaker built in or onto. I dearly hope that is not what you hear

Interesting turn of events... I now have a faint ticking sound coming from the switch every 30 seconds. It is not engine rpm driven and I can feel the tick by placing my finger on the switch knob even with the wipers off. Any ideas?

Some? All? wiper switches have a circuit breaker built in or onto. I dearly hope that is not what you hear

Unplug the wiper motor from under the hood and see if the noise stops.

The switch itself is the determining factor if a motor operates as a variable speed or a three speed. They build the same, they test the same. I build on my bench using a 3 speed switch because it's what I mounted to my bench. If I ship that same motor to someone who has a variable speed switch, then the motor will operate as a variable, although it operated as a 3 speed when it left my shop.

Bench Test Procedure for a 3 speed/variable speed:

If you do not have the proper functions, 99% of the time it is a ground problem. If you experience this, first run a ground wire from the metal housing on switch to the pin switch for dome light in driver’s door jamb. Run switch again. If you still have a problem run a ground wire from the wiper motor ground strap to the negative battery post. Run switch again.

If you still experience trouble:

(1) Disconnect motor leads at bulkhead disconnect. Connect jumper wire from battery positive terminal to brown and red leads in bulkhead disconnect. Connect a second jumper from the green lead to ground. (The ground circuit is completed through the car body). The motor should run continuously. Disconnect leads.

(2) Connect jumper wire from green lead to brown lead. Connect red lead to ground. Connect third jumper wire from battery positive terminal to blue lead. The wiper should run to the park position. CAUTION: Motor can be damaged if not wired correctly

Bench Test for your Switch:

You can use this to test your switch with an Ohm meter.

Wiper Switch Wiring and Testing

Color Wiring:
A = Brown w/ White
B = Pink
P = Blue
W = Brown
F1 – Red
F2 = Green
B/U = No Connection

B to B/U = B voltage in across the internal circuit breaker. Always on no matter what speed or off position to B/U. B/U Voltage After Circuit Breaker

The following connections should all be reading 0 ohms, except as noted, when active. Any connection combination not mentioned should not show a reading.

In the OFF position:
B to P
A to F2
F1 to Housing Ground

In On Low through High speed positions:
B to F1 {(0 Low) to (– 25 High)}
A to F1 {(0 Low) to (– 25 High)}
B to A
F2 to Housing Ground

Washer Motor On – No Reading In The Off Position
B to W
A to W
F1 to W

(My thanks to Jim aka Slotts, at JS Restoration for the switch test procedures)

If you're still having problems, shoot me an email, send me a pm or grab a phone and give me a call. Hopefully we can walk through this and get you back up and running.

Don't you mean 2 speed and not 3 speed? I defer to the shop manual.

What might this mean?

The more I read about this the more my head spins. Looks like my weekend plans just got some electrical gremlin chasing added to them.

Best advice I can give you is to download the shop manual I posted and read it. These are a tricky circuit. Even I have to get out the book and really really read it when I deal with 'em,

What might this mean?

The more I read about this the more my head spins. Looks like my weekend plans just got some electrical gremlin chasing added to them.

Well, if you were to unplug the motor as I suggested and the noise stopped it would either disconnected the affected circut or possibly be a shorted out wiper motor. I am not the electrical guru that 67Dart273 is but I was taught to use the KISS program as you approach a problem. KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid. I find it works 99% of the time.

Right now I have everything out on my bench. It's all pretty dirty so I'm going clean all the electrical connections. What grounds the switch itself? I have an extra spade pronge with nothing on it?

Fixed! I had two exposed wires where the wire bundle passes through the wiper motor housing. Some resoldering and heat shrink tube has everything back to normal. Thanks everyone! Thanks Kim for the schematics too!

Well Kiss works again. LOL

When you reinstall wiper motor be sure wide flat copper ground tab is making good contntact at both its connections.

Fixed! I had two exposed wires where the wire bundle passes through the wiper motor housing. Some resoldering and heat shrink tube has everything back to normal. Thanks everyone! Thanks Kim for the schematics too!

Glad you got it working again.

Well Kiss works again. LOL

When you reinstall wiper motor be sure wide flat copper ground tab is making good contntact at both its connections.

Well it's great to hear that you got it working! No problem on providing the info for you, you had to do all the work :happy1:

-
Back