Wire harnesses. When did the design change?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I sold a 65 Valiant convertible to a guy and will be helping him get it running. I got it in pieces so I am not all that familiar with how different it is from the 67 and later A bodies...of which I am much more familiar. The buyer is less experienced than me and is looking to me to steer the course.
I had a 65 Dart and didn't do much work on it to learn but I did notice that the bulkhead connector had only 2 plugs to it compared to 3 like the later A body cars had. The Dart also had 2 positive wires in between the bulkhead plugs...the wires attach to some type of steel studs that pass through the bulkhead. The bulkhead plugs look and fit different than the later A body cars. I have never owned a '64 or '66 A body so I am curious about the evolution of the design of these electrical systems.
When did this 1965 design begin and end? My '67 Dart seems to have the style the later cars had. I recall seeing 1976 A body cars that had a modified bulkhead to accommodate a 4th connector. At that point they must have exceeded the limits of the 24 pin design and didn't want to tool up for a change on a car that was in it's final year.

There's been a lot of "little" changes year to year. Even in the early ones, one or two years had the "safe" bulkhead connector for the ammeter and I thing they were separated by one "unsafe" year. Some years the shape of the connectors are different. Without laying the two harness out side by side, untaping them, and doing a wire x wire comparison with a service manual, I have no idea. 71; 2/3/4 5/6 were all some differences.

Those HD terminals between the the pair of plugs were used only 2 years 63 and 65. Why skip 64 and not use them ever again - who knows. Probably because the bean counters said it was cheaper to use terminals. Anyway, on the engine side the black wire go to the output of the alternator; the red ends up at the battery positive. On the inside they end up at the alternator

You have came to the correct place for info. Wait for the right person to see your post. An answer from me would just be a guess on these early years. I had them but mostly turned them into light weight race cars years back for people. There is a separate crowd for different year cars. 67-76 is what I know most of. unless your talking 62 -64

scan0002[1].jpg

scan0004[1].jpg

According to my 65FSM the 65 Coronet used the separate buss bars as did the A body. Possibly earlier B’s did as well.

I sold a 1965 main bulkhead plug to a member here. I probably sold it too cheap!
I looked at the harness of a 66 Dart today. It had 3 snap on plugs like the later cars do.
The buss bar design seems like a better system though. It probably had less corrosion buildup compared to the male/female Packard connectors the rest of the cars had.

Thanks for the help, guys!

-
Back