Wiring Diagram Codes

-

dodgedart1968

Reaction score
Each line in my '68 Service Manual wiring diagram is coded (e.g., J2-16BL). The one or two letters at the end designate color (e.g., BL for "black"). I presume that the two numbers prior to the color designate wire gage. What is the meaning of the rest of the code?

If you look in some of the service manuals, there is a chart "somewhere" before you get to the diagrams section that shows the J1, J2, etc codes. Maybe 73? Download one from MyMopar for free. So yeh, J1, etc is the circuit code. The added letter, like J2A is a "sub" circuit of the same general circuit, and 16,etc wire gauge, color, last

Each line in my '68 Service Manual wiring diagram is coded (e.g., J2-16BL). The one or two letters at the end designate color (e.g., BL for "black"). I presume that the two numbers prior to the color designate wire gage. What is the meaning of the rest of the code?
Typically for late 60s.
A is Battery outputs (and recharge).
R is Alternator circuits. R6 is alternator output.
J is Ignition and engine.
J1 is often power to ignition switch
J2 is ignition (includes power to voltage regulator)
J3 is ignition feed when key is in start.
Q is Accessory feeds
Q2 is switched accessory feed - (pretty much everything which requires key on other than ignition)
L is typically exterior Lighting
H is usually Horn.

RWO are the letters Chrysler used in the books for the mid size Plymouth and Dodge models. So the way to read the 18DBL next to (16DBL-RWO) is that Darts and Valiants will have 18 ga wire and mid size models will have 16 ga wire.

Example of a schematic made from the factory diagram with some of the wire codes.
upload_2021-1-31_9-0-48-png.png

Chrysler pamphlet about reading and using the diagrams.
1968 Electrical Wiring (Session 247) from the Master Technician's Service Conference
and the accompanying filmstrip.
1968 Electrical Wiring Filmstrip MTSC (Session 247)

Master Technician Service Conference - Chrysler's Training for Mechanics

Last edited:
Typically for late 60s.
A is Battery outputs (and recharge).
R is Alternator circuits. R6 is alternator output.
J is Ignition and engine.
J1 is often power to ignition switch
J2 is ignition (includes power to voltage regulator)
J3 is ignition feed when key is in start.
Q is Accessory feeds
Q2 is switched accessory feed - (pretty much everything which requires key on other than ignition)
L is typically exterior Lighting
H is usually Horn.

RWO are the letters Chrysler used in the books for the mid size Plymouth and Dodge models. So the way to read the 18DBL next to (16DBL-RWO) is that Darts and Valiants will have 18 ga wire and mid size models will have 16 ga wire.

Example of a schematic made from the factory diagram with some of the wire codes.
View attachment 1715842240

Chrysler pamphlet about reading and using the diagrams.
1968 Electrical Wiring (Session 247) from the Master Technician's Service Conference
and the accompanying filmstrip.
1968 Electrical Wiring Filmstrip MTSC (Session 247)

Master Technician Service Conference - Chrysler's Training for Mechanics

Thanks you for taking the time to create such a helpful and thorough response.

I'm not in front of my service manual, but isn't BL for Blue?

-
Back