Wiring Gremlin

-

HemiTM

Reaction score
I have a wiring gremlin somewhere. I will be driving the car and the car will act like its not getting any fire to the plugs, the tach needle begins to jump around and then the car dies. I can wait about 5-10 minutes and it will fire right up. It has also done this while idling in the garage. Last time it happened in the garage I was watching the fuel pressure and it never moved. Stayed right at 7 psi. Somewhere the gremlin is hiding. About a 6 weeks ago I replaced coil, ECU, internals in the distributor, set the gap at .008. I`m puzzled.

Try disconnecting the tach it may have a heat related short that shorting out the coil.good luck

Also suspect your bulkhead connector, make sure it's clean and in good shape--the ignition "run" feed coming through there might be corroded.

we hd the same kinda thing with a hemi duster and it ended up being reluctor gap... but you said you set that...

I also have to concur with 67Dart273. I had nearly the same problem on my 69 Dart and was pulling my hair out until I inspected the bulkhead connector. Corrosion was really bad. Had to painstakingly clean each one, now working great.

I removed the middle bulkhead connector last night. The black wire, second one down on the left side is burnt bad. Plastic surrounding the female clip melted and wire exposed. The male connector on the firewall is very corroded. Is there a company that makes replacement bulkhead connectors for a 71 Dart?

Nope NAPA stores have the terminals but it might be best to drill through the plastic and pass wire all the way through as seen on the Madelectrical webpages.

Cleaned up the bulkhead. I ran the wire directly through the bulkhead. Actually put all new wires to the altenator. Dart fired right up. With the car running I wiggled all the connections and not even a sputter out of the car. Running at Famoso this weekend.....Maybe now that I have some good connections I might pick up a tenth... : )

-
Back