Wiring harness question, and slant -6 elect ign question.

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
(First question): Are the electrical wiring harnesses any good that year one offers, or should I go with a painless harness in my 67 barracuda/ street/strip car?
I would like to install aftermarket gauges and utilize the heater controls as well.
(Second question):Does anyone have detailed pics of a painless wiring install?
Any other recommendations welcome.

(Third question): I noticed that they make electronic ignition set ups for small and big block cars, but does anyone make them for slant six motors?
1971 dart swinger. 198 super six.

Thanks.

Go With The Aftermarket Wiring Harness,almost All Of Them Have Writing About Every 6" On Every Wire Stating Where It Goes. You Would Have To Cut An Original Harness For Your Gages And Any Other Acessories Like A Electic Fuel Pump Etc.

Ive used the Year one harnesses a few times and like them. For a car like your Barracuda which will get a bunch of aftermarket electronics I would look in to the Painless kits. For a stock or mostly stock car like the Swinger the Year One harness is the way to go.

If they dont have the harness for the electronic ignition its easy to splice in.

Ive used the Year one harnesses a few times and like them. For a car like your Barracuda which will get a bunch of aftermarket electronics I would look in to the Painless kits. For a stock or mostly stock car like the Swinger the Year One harness is the way to go.

If they dont have the harness for the electronic ignition its easy to splice in.

Anyone carry the electronic ignition distributors for the slanty?

Mopar Perf. Use to have a kit, I no longer see it listed on Summits or Mancinis site. All I see is a Mallory Unalite for all most $400. You should be able to find one used though.

there has been a slant 6 kit on ebay the last few times i searched for slant six it seems like the whole kit was around 200 bucks but i am not sure if its still there. Justin

Ebay power seller cjmp (Central Jersey Motor Parts) has a listing on ebay now for an electronic conversion kit. But it now price is $140 plus $10 shipping. The one I bought last year was Direct Connection, evidently they have access to an old DC inventory. But, who knows? Yours might be Mopar Performance. If you don't want to spend that much, you can always get a Pertronix Ignitor for around $100. Hope this helps.

Ebay power seller cjmp (Central Jersey Motor Parts) has a listing on ebay now for an electronic conversion kit. But it now price is $140 plus $10 shipping. The one I bought last year was Direct Connection, evidently they have access to an old DC inventory. But, who knows? Yours might be Mopar Performance. If you don't want to spend that much, you can always get a Pertronix Ignitor for around $100. Hope this helps.

Sure it helps.
Thanks guys.

I used an Evans Harness. Everything was as stock and fit perfectly. They will wire in the electronic ignition harness for you if you are converting a points car.

Since the MP distributors for the slant 6 were just a stock distributor with lighter springs the easiest thing to do is pick up a rebuilt unit for $40 at the local parts store and swap the heavy spring for one of the light ones in the two spring kit from MP.

No need to get a performance module with a \6 either. The only thing the various MP ignition boxes do for you is extend the rpm range the module operates to. Since with a \6 the box is only firing at 75% the rate of a v8 so it's already good for 25% more rpm than when it's in a v8. Just pick up a stock replacement ecu for $20 from the local parts store.

The harness can be purchased new for about $20 or harvest it from any electronic igntion car at the local bone yard.

-
Back