Wiring harnesses

-

Dusted73

Reaction score
I am at the point where I am ready to install a new wiring harness in my 73 duster. I have it narrowed down to the EZ wiring and speedway 22 circuit kits. Those are the kits in my budget. Which kit should I choose and why? Not asking about classic industries, painless or ron francis like I said I have my 2 options narrowed down unless someone else has an opinion of a harness in the 200 dollar range.

If you have a harness to copy and the time, make your own, follow oem colors.
Car was pretty stripped when I got it. New ones are labeled just GM colors. It's not a factory resto just a driver and never plan to sell it.

If you go EZ (and youre using an MSD) use the schematic below and you'll be fine.

I used the EZ kit and it went great. Took a while, but I worked slow. I have A LOT of aftermarket parts. Digital dash, 12 different sensors, relay boards, nitrous system, 2 fuel pumps, EFI, etc...EZ kit handled it all.

Screenshot-20210724-162902.jpg

whats the intended use of the car? what are you putting in it? radio, a/c, electric fans, electric fuel pumps... etc... etc... etc??? I'd be saving for s better harness myself if its anything other then a stripped out drag type of car

If you go EZ (and youre using an MSD) use the schematic below and you'll be fine.

I used the EZ kit and it went great. Took a while, but I worked slow. I have A LOT of aftermarket parts. Digital dash, 12 different sensors, relay boards, nitrous system, 2 fuel pumps, EFI, etc...EZ kit handled it all.

View attachment 1715999959
I was planning on using the summit branded ignition box with a new stock replacement electronic vacuum advance distributor. I also have all new auto meter gauges to go in so the stock ammeter will be deleted. Does this kit have wiring for reverse lights?

I was planning on using the summit branded ignition box with a new stock replacement electronic vacuum advance distributor. I also have all new auto meter gauges to go in so the stock ammeter will be deleted. Does this kit have wiring for reverse lights?
Off the top of my head, I can't remember. I think so. I have a Hurst quarter stick shifter that has a reverse switch built into it. I just hooked the + reverse wire up to that to create the circuit. It sounds a lot harder than it is. Once you start, as long as you have the factory service wiring diagram and the one I posted before, it'll make a lot more sense.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember. I think so. I have a Hurst quarter stick shifter that has a reverse switch built into it. I just hooked the + reverse wire up to that to create the circuit. It sounds a lot harder than it is. Once you start, as long as you have the factory service wiring diagram and the one I posted before, it'll make a lot more sense.
I bought a b&m shifter with reverse light switch and neutral switch on it. Sounds like I'm on the right path thanks brother!

I bought a b&m shifter with reverse light switch and neutral switch on it. Sounds like I'm on the right path thanks brother!
My pleasure! If you plan on keeping the stock MOPAR connectors for the steering column, make sure you buy the correct terminal ends. You can get them in bulk on eBay pretty cheap. Also, get a bunch of 3 and 5 wire GM connectors for accessories. Makes everything a lot cleaner and easier to remove for maintenance.

Lastly, have a plan for mounting the fuse block. I made a small square plate and tucked it up behind my dash area.

Screenshot-20221018-174246.jpg

whats the intended use of the car? what are you putting in it? radio, a/c, electric fans, electric fuel pumps... etc... etc... etc??? I'd be saving for s better harness myself if its anything other then a stripped out drag type of car
Pretty much a stockish build summer toy upgraded stereo not much else manual windows, locks no AC for now. Pretty tight budget so a new harness is better than the original that's been hacked up and chewed by mice. Factory repops are upwards of 1,000 dollars and at somepoint you just have to say no way. Rather put that money into parts that make it go and stop. People seem to like the speedway and EZ. Wiring colors don't matter to me.

-
Back