Wiring help please

-

djwhog

Reaction score
Well my old wiring harness is very brittle and damaged. Hard to see what needs to go where so I need a little help on a few connections?

On the starter relay on the large power stud, is there suppose to be a feed direct from the battery other than the 2 wires into one connector that are on it?

Also the battery cable does go is wired to the starter only correct? I know on some of my other Dodge's it goes to the starter relay and then there is another large cable from the relay to the starter. I was thinking with this higher torque starter it would be better to have the cable go straight to the starter 1st? I used a larger custom cable.

Also how does the ignition switch pull in battery power and power to the fuse block for the inside accessories etc? Does this come from those 2 wires connected to the starter relay? I think there needs to be a battery feed to this large post on the relay correct to feed those 2 wires connected to the large post?

I was thinking maybe I should do some type of terminal block with larger wiring from the battery direct to the new terminal block and then tie in the starter relay.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or some pics or can help me with this.

Thanks! :read2:

64 GT Dart Joe V-8 . I think that web site will help. I think I am on the right trac, there should be a cable that connects the starter relay power large post to the battery cable at some point right?

I think the factory cables run a cable from the battery to the starter, then a cable from the starter to the relay large post? I know there is also the small wire that comes from the relay to the starter to engage the starter. And it is tied into the N-Safety switch. I got that all wired OK.

I was thinking since I have these TTI headers and very little room, maybe I should make some other juction block coming off the battery for the MSD and the new internal 1 one alternator wiring take it straight to the battery and then tie into the relay for the cars power? It would be cleaner looking and I would not have a cable running from the firewall down along the headers.

Does this make since? How is your car wired in? The old wiring is not only brittle but is small and I have gone from a 32 amp alt to this new 130+ 1 wire unit.

thanks guys great link! I can kinda see how it did look, but a picture or 2 would sure help of the under hood on a real car.

yes the battery wire goes to the starter first and then to the relay. the other post on the starter is for the exciter wire it also go to the relay to the slip ring post. there is also a green wire that comes fgom the neutral safety switch that goes on the slip on spade connecter on the top left corner,and a yellow wire that comes from the key switch that goes to the spade connecter on the top right corner on the relay.... yes those 2 wires also go to the same post on the relay as the battery wire from the starter

Chryslers starter relay is not designed to carry cranking voltage like Fords silinoid. It might live a little while that way.

Thank you guys, got it and it is all rewired with better than factory sizes and works great. Everything was not only old, but with the elecrtic fan, MSD, 135 Alt with built in reg etc. It was time for an upgrade. Looks nice I will post some pics soon of the 416

PS man it sounds very very strong with the TTIs un-corked back to the 3" H pipes. Cam is broke in now I need to dial it in, button it up and drive it..

-
Back