Wiring in new wire at tail lights

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Its my 64 Comet the wires for tail ltes has plug indeals, which are of no use. I wantto simple run new wries to the sockets I replaced. Each side of housing has 2 sockets with the 1157 bulbs with two filaments. My question is should I cut the wire and run in and out from the socket wire and on to next socket.. OR simply peel back insulation and splice into the long wire feeding each socket. I know my question is fuzzy!!!!!! I will solder the spice an tape with electric then friction tape.

Without pictures, I cannot picture!!! what you are doing. If you are adapting/ splicing, they you are going to have to figure a way to .......adapt.........and splice. Consider heat shrink instead of "friction tape."

Soldering can be a chore on old wiring, as it oxidizes, even back inside the insulation. You must CAREFULLY scrape it GENTLY to get down to copper, and you should obtain some NON acidic (for electronics) liquid or paste rosin based flux to add additionally. And make CERTAIN that the solder is rosin core, FOR electronics. I would use an older lead/ tin mix, NOT "lead free"

-
Back