Wiring plus tar..

-

grassy

Reaction score
It looks like tar was sprayed over much of my engine wiring harness. Can I sold it is kerosene (or some sort of petroleum product) then wipe it off without destroying the loom ?

Thanks
ian.

I know. But what a mess. And no need of it as well.

The rule of thumb I usually use is to use a petroleum product to remove another.

Can I soak it ?

Thanks
ian.

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,,,,,,gasoline is (or was!!!) a petroleum product.

your are right :) I was agreeing with you. Will soaking the loom in gas damage the wiring or plastic ?

I don't really know. I think prolonged exposure might harden the harness. If I had this problem it's certainly what I would try.

It is logical. Thanks.

Brought the car back into the garage today. We are getting one step closer :)

Thanks
Ian.

Petroleum lubricants might soften the tape if it is not the original non-adhesive tape. I forgot what they call the original tape, but it has little or no adhesive and stands up well to POLs.

I worked at Ziebart a few decades ago. We used kerosene or diesel to wash the cars after rustproofing them. Had a customer that was pissy about the underhood job we did, kerosene did 0 short term damage to the harness.....but it was not soaked we cleaned it with soaked rags. Came right off......

Try isopropyl alcohol. We use very concentrated isopropyl at work, because it won't damage plastics or paint like kerosene, gasoline, or acetone can.

Sounds like maybe somebody used foam wrap or something which degraded from engine heat. Instead of gasoline, use kerosine (or diesel fuel). It doesn't evaporate as fast and is much safer, plus seems to work as well.

might also try some of that adhesive remover that is based on citric acid. it wont make your harness extremely flammable.

The PO was keen on using grease/graphite which I believe is now illegal. For some reason, it looks like he sprayed tar on a lot of the wiring harness. God knows why. He was an older gent.

I don't believe I have ever seen a citrus adhesive remover in canada.

Ian,

The PO was keen on using grease/graphite which I believe is now illegal. For some reason, it looks like he sprayed tar on a lot of the wiring harness. God knows why. He was an older gent.

I don't believe I have ever seen a citrus adhesive remover in canada.

Ian,

orange clean and rapid remover are the two we use at work. both smell pretty and do a good job.

-
Back