wiring

-

neals65

Reaction score
my dash lights stay on when my headlights are off its not the headlight switch if i dont disconect power dash lights are on 24 7 can someone explain whats going on and the fix posibly 1965 dodge dart

Has someone hacked up the wiring?

Dash lights get power through the tail lamp fuse, through the light switch, through the dimmer, and then to the INST fuse in the panel. Try pulling that fuse, and while you are "down there" examine the fuse panel front and rear for any weird wires, burned, bare, loose, that don't belong, etc

pulled the fuse dash lights stay on if i knew what wire powered the dash lights i would like to put a toggle switch on do know what wire powers the dash lights there 5 or 6 that plug into the instrument cluster on 65 dart thankyou

As Del suggests, there is a short or hack somewhere. Look for orange wire connected to 12V. My first guess is check at cigarette lighter, there are not many things powered with key off. The ones like horn and brake lights, you might notice. The other place would be radio wiring, if that has been hacked so radio runs with key out, and orange connected to 12V.

Orange wires are illumination. If you have any other interior illumination, shifter bezel, radio dial, etc.., you'll find the orange wire circuit there too. Which leads me to where I suspect crossed circuits are, aftermarket radio wiring, or added gauges wiring.

should i start going thru the wires that are powered with the ignition off like the brake light wiring

My bet is you are having the issue I did. The harness insulation has failed and the main hot coming through the bulkhead has melted into other circuits and is energizing them.

I strongly suggest a VERY close inspection of the dash harness..

My bet is you are having the issue I did. The harness insulation has failed and the main hot coming through the bulkhead has melted into other circuits and is energizing them.

I strongly suggest a VERY close inspection of the dash harness..

This can be expanded into "any previous short" where a fuse didn't blow right away, or a too-big fuse installed, or just one of the circuits which was never properly fused.

In other words a wire gets hot, melts part of the harness together, and "weird things" happen.

Another thing you could do is "get into" the fuse panel at the inst fuse. One by one, separate the orange wires from each other. At some point "one" of them will stop the rest of the dash lights. Get it down to "which" of those one orange wires is involved with the short. See if you can live without those lamps. Say it's the radio lamp. If not, you are going to be pulling the dash harness out.

there was previos wiring hacked theres one black wire onthe headlight harnes cut there is also splices orage lights used for ulumiation helps me i resently wired an electric ig nition regulator to macch theelectronic ignition also this probably is not the problem i know thi because the light iluminated lateron when i cut off my battery them dash lights brighten up 3 times before i connect power again im soon going to trace orange wires and wire close to orang wires thanks for the help thers not many wires that are orange:eek:ops:

-
Back