WIW 62 Lancer

-

matthon

Reaction score
Like I need another project, but you gotta look into this stuff when it presents itself.

I dig it, it's small enough to hide away, but I don't know enough about these cars.

The reality is, what's it worth if I drag it home, clean it up, which will take me a while, and discover I don't have the time or coin, or the skill, and need to pass it on?
Not looking to make money, just not lose it if I can't keep it.

Appears to be a GT, but I thought there was also a GT emblem on the trunk?

How do you tell if it is a GT?

Aluminum engine, auto, buckets, 'two-tone' paint, carpet, reverse lights, not even sure if these are all options.

Interior looks salvageable, headliner there and I saw a few spots or holes, couldn't tell.

Engine no idea but looks complete, rusty quarters, floors I'm sure, trunk will not open, and I saw rot in the rails at the tail.
Bottom of door looks solid.

Keys, no ppwk, but said he would go to dmv with me. He must know something I don't.

I believe it has 13 inch wheels, but are these 5 lug 5 on 4?

What's the it's now become too much to purchase number?

20200903_204905.jpg

20200903_204924.jpg

20200903_123725.jpg

20200903_123801.jpg

20200903_124005.jpg

20200903_123736.jpg

20200903_123742.jpg

20200903_124158.jpg

20200903_123839.jpg

Flip that AL block for the price of the whole car and them drop a 225 in it. Id rock it! Is that glove box full of nuts?

Seems they all have Pinto hubcaps.....or did Pinto copy them?

Not sure on the trunk emblem, or the hood for that matter. I have seen repro GT hood emblems but I don't know if it was real or wishful thinking.

Do you want us to talk you into it or out of it?
Alum blocks corrode if the anti freeze is replaced with water.
You will have 20K in it to make it show worthy.
5K makes it a good driver.
Small under hood makes it harder to swap V8 if you want.
Most A Body suspension parts swap in the 1962 car.
I could go on.
62LancerGTemblem.jpg

Glovebox is a nest of some kind, something's home.

I only want to know more about these cars.
No desire to swap in a V8, I just think it's cool, unique.

It appears to be very complete and salvageable. If I can clean it up, fix the floors, make it run, stop, safe, and drive it that's a win.

From what I can tell the aluminum engine is 225 only, so the trunk emblem is incorrect.

Are these cars all 5 lug sbp?

Glovebox is a nest of some kind, something's home.

I only want to know more about these cars.
No desire to swap in a V8, I just think it's cool, unique.

It appears to be very complete and salvageable. If I can clean it up, fix the floors, make it run, stop, safe, and drive it that's a win.

From what I can tell the aluminum engine is 225 only, so the trunk emblem is incorrect.

Are these cars all 5 lug sbp?

No, the trunk emblem is correct. The 170 is the model of the Lancer. Not the engine size. Yes, they are all SBP five lug. It's in all likelihood original.

Bingo! Like the 62 Dart 440, nothing to do with the engine. Although in this case you could get a Lancer with a 170 engine.

For some reason all the info I can find states there should be a GT emblem on the trunk for 62. I see one on ebag, but maybe it was for 61 only.

Bingo! Like the 62 Dart 440, nothing to do with the engine. Although in this case you could get a Lancer with a 170 engine.

For some reason all the info I can find states there should be a GT emblem on the trunk for 62. I see one on ebag, but maybe it was for 61 only.

I wouldn't sweat the little stuff. That thing has the holy grail of slant six engines in it. Does the owner know what it is? Regardless, I wouldn't give a lot for it. It's a ton of work, regardless of engine. What would your plans for it be?

Yes, he knows, owns multiple Mopars.
First, put my Cragars and beat tires on it, just because, and probably to get it out of there.
Clean it, fix the floors, make it run, stop, drive it. I know a guy who does interior work, retired, reasonable too. Call it done and enjoy.

Yes, he knows, owns multiple Mopars.
First, put my Cragars and beat tires on it, just because, and probably to get it out of there.
Clean it, fix the floors, make it run, stop, drive it. I know a guy who does interior work, retired, reasonable too. Call it done and enjoy.

I like that. Kinda what I've done to mine at this point.

L0ve em or hate em model, most hate em! I love em, but I am not normal!
Worth more IFthe aluminm engine is good, which is unlkely. More does not men very many $.
Cool ride IF you like them, IF you think you will turn a profit as is or ever, if you give much nore than scrape price, I doubt it. But some days I am a pestimist!

Ok, sounds like a great plan.
Save it and drive it, fix it as you go!
There is little plastic insert they put over the 170 trunk emblem, makes it a 770, or GT.
The three models for 62 were 170, 770 and GT.
Here is my old wagon, same paint style.
Good luck, I hope you do pull the trigger!
IMG_0095.JPG

There is little plastic insert they put over the 170 trunk emblem, makes it a 770, or GT

Good to know, makes me think it just fell off.

Info I can find states there is a door panel emblem. Anyone have a pic?

There were no door panel emblems on '62 Gt's. The door panels in the pics are the originals. Only 770 models had the "lancer" embossed on the door panels like hyperpak posted. If you do your own labor and need something to keep you busy it's a great project. The cost to have this car restored is far more than it's resale value if your paying to have it done. If he gave it to you for free you'd have trouble selling it for a profit. If rarity set the price it would be worth a fortune. But since demand sets the price it can be a tough sell. Harsh words from someone with an obsession for these early "A"s and wishes every one could be saved. You could limit your financial losses by parting it out but you've got to store it, disassemble it, argue with the neighbors about it, and then haul the carcass away.

@barbee6043 you're not a pessimist, you're a realist. Sadly based on asking prices for field cars like this far to many people have been watching far to much Barret Jackson and Mecum on TV.

If he gave it to you for free you'd have trouble selling it for a profit.
Hilarious, but true, so not funny at all dammit!

If rarity set the price it would be worth a fortune. But since demand sets the price it can be a tough sell.
I say this all the time but it doesn't ring true with some, including myself at times.

argue with the neighbors about it

This could be the biggest issue, except they don't argue, just call the town and I get a letter. Thing is, when I call for an extension, town doesn't give a crap.

I don't need another project, don't need to spend more $ on something else, etc.
I had to pass on this 58 at $1,500, sunk in the ground that doesn't dry out, engine seized, and just too big to move around if/when needed.

This would be the last in, and might not ever get to it. There's something wrong with me.

I thoroughly enjoy learning about it, and I would thoroughly enjoy cleaning it up, slapping my rusty cragars on it, and staring at it everyday.

That's worth something, right?

20200823_110412.jpg

@matthon - I suffer the same sickness. Nothing wrong with you that isn't also wrong with me. Can't say no to an old Mopar! Especially an early "A" body. Now if I could find a field of Hemi cars I might be willing to battle neighbor/city/county one more time!! I've sworn never again......until after I check out this lead I just got on a.............................. :)

The city's policy on old cars in many states is why there are fewer good projects now days. Glad I have never lived where I had to deal with such.

These old cars remind me of why horse people buy yearlings, they have a DREAM, that it will one day become champion. Maybe that is one reason why so m people drag home old project cars!??? Note: most of those yearlings NEVER become champions. lol

Ironically I just found this on the facebook.
Not my style, and I prefer to get cars unmolested, but it does have crugers!

Are those seats correct?

Screenshot_20200905-211043.jpg

Screenshot_20200905-211226.jpg

Screenshot_20200905-211249.jpg

Screenshot_20200905-211325.jpg

Just needs brakes, uh huh, top of the line audio, but not hooked up, and "if you want to make things easier a custom made shifter." Huh?

The ad is not only a misspelled mess, it's one sentence!
The pics are horrible as well, all of them, cropped, crooked, and slanted.

The trunk lock is painted red, the glovebox lock is painted red, the dash is missing the bezel and, yes, red paint on it.
There's red paint everywhere there isn't a decal and who knows what's under it all.

Too many 'red' flags.

20200905_223747.png

Screenshot_20200905-223637.jpg

20200905_223830.png

20200905_223809.png

Unmolested, left for dead, no ppwk, don't go back, stay away, leave your crugers at home.

20200903_123826.jpg

Freddie Kruger wheels. Just in time for Halloween.

-
Back