WIW 62 Lancer

-
.. In Los Angeles, they will give you $1500 for a car driven in to the self serve junk yards via their smog clunker program.
View attachment 1715592612
I wish it were true but the car has to have just failed smog and been registered in the last year. If that were the case, I'd cash in my bent frame Mazda. they made it like that so folks wouldn't be making money on that program by buying wrecks and limping them in to a smog station with a few vacuum hoses cut.

@ pishta - I agree there are qualifications on the clunker smog program. My point was to illustrate the maximums the local yards are paying given the best of conditions. After I posted the OP posted the car has no vin plate and no data tag which prevents it's sale to any junkyard in the two states I used for reference. Just the hassle of getting paperwork in the two states I mentioned make it not worth the effort unless owner would take a $200-$300 as a parts car.

@matthon - Walking away in this case is your best move, in my opinion, if your goal was to save the car. With no Vin tags getting paperwork can cost you dearly. Owners (possessors really) tell me all the time paperwork is no big deal and I should offer more for the vehicle I'm trying to buy. I tell them given it's no big deal, you get a title for it and I'll up my offer by $500. That usually ends the conversation and the purchase. Granted the paperwork process varies by state and maybe Georgia isn't so bad I don't know but in AZ or CA it's a pain and can be costly.

No.
I just finished ripping out what was left of the floor and welding in a rust free torsion bar crossmember. First time welding too.
I even sectioned a piece of the frame from a donor car, not too shabby a job. I drilled holes in both parts, slid 4 pieces of metal inside the rail, plug welded and welded the seam.

I have other areas to address, but the firewall has got me wondering, can you replace a firewall?

It's in bad shape where it meets the floor. I think someone on fbbo is going to cut that part out, but after fixing spots in the cowl, I have to wonder.

Just set in, but it's progress.

View attachment 1715598607[/QUOTE
Congtrats on finding a whole repop floor or the Toad. The footwell or else where. I cut out along edge of rail then use a air chisel to get under it and cut where the spot welds are then grind down with a 60 grit flap disc to clean up. Clean metal good, maybe use a weld thru primer if want to be fancy.

Like I need another project, but you gotta look into this stuff when it presents itself.

I dig it, it's small enough to hide away, but I don't know enough about these cars.

The reality is, what's it worth if I drag it home, clean it up, which will take me a while, and discover I don't have the time or coin, or the skill, and need to pass it on?
Not looking to make money, just not lose it if I can't keep it.

Appears to be a GT, but I thought there was also a GT emblem on the trunk?

How do you tell if it is a GT?

Aluminum engine, auto, buckets, 'two-tone' paint, carpet, reverse lights, not even sure if these are all options.

Interior looks salvageable, headliner there and I saw a few spots or holes, couldn't tell.

Engine no idea but looks complete, rusty quarters, floors I'm sure, trunk will not open, and I saw rot in the rails at the tail.
Bottom of door looks solid.

Keys, no ppwk, but said he would go to dmv with me. He must know something I don't.

I believe it has 13 inch wheels, but are these 5 lug 5 on 4?

What's the it's now become too much to purchase number?

View attachment 1715589364

View attachment 1715589365

View attachment 1715589366

View attachment 1715589367

View attachment 1715589368

View attachment 1715589369

View attachment 1715589370

View attachment 1715589372

View attachment 1715589373

Did u buy it ??

Good news! My friend found the ppwk, registration and vin.

I'm going to go check everything out in person, no guarantee I'll buy it, I need to really check the car out.
He gave me all the info over the phone, first 3 digits of vin checks out as a '62 Lancer GT.

I hear the skepticism, however I've known him for decades. He has spent his life saving Mopars. He is a good man.

Short version, he has many, many cars, and he saves all the info for each in a separate large envelope. He had it mislabeled.

He mislabeled my Dart when I bought it, I was actually the one who found the ppwk in an envelope marked, '62 Dart 4 door (my Dart is a 2 door). This was after I had paid him and loaded it.

He also had 2 envelopes for my wagon, one had the registration, years later he called me to pickup another envelope.

I don't really recall what kind of shape this car is in, but it's worth taking another look.

Like I need another project, but you gotta look into this stuff when it presents itself.

I dig it, it's small enough to hide away, but I don't know enough about these cars.

The reality is, what's it worth if I drag it home, clean it up, which will take me a while, and discover I don't have the time or coin, or the skill, and need to pass it on?
Not looking to make money, just not lose it if I can't keep it.

Appears to be a GT, but I thought there was also a GT emblem on the trunk?

How do you tell if it is a GT?

Aluminum engine, auto, buckets, 'two-tone' paint, carpet, reverse lights, not even sure if these are all options.

Interior looks salvageable, headliner there and I saw a few spots or holes, couldn't tell.

Engine no idea but looks complete, rusty quarters, floors I'm sure, trunk will not open, and I saw rot in the rails at the tail.
Bottom of door looks solid.

Keys, no ppwk, but said he would go to dmv with me. He must know something I don't.

I believe it has 13 inch wheels, but are these 5 lug 5 on 4?

What's the it's now become too much to purchase number?

View attachment 1715589364

View attachment 1715589365

View attachment 1715589366

View attachment 1715589367

View attachment 1715589368

View attachment 1715589369

View attachment 1715589370

View attachment 1715589372

View attachment 1715589373
My 62 GT has same emblem

I just recently obtained a 62 GT and going to strip down some stuff to store and part the rest out it has alot of rust but its a GT car and has same rear emblem on trunk as yours !!

Screenshot_20230110-190943.png

20221028_202314.jpg

20221028_202233.jpg

Definitely can be saved, heck my Dart was way worse.

20230111_012230.jpg

20230110_143245.jpg

20230110_142602.jpg

20230110_142558.jpg

20230110_142346.jpg

20230110_143407.jpg

I've seen bigger holes.
Looks like the rocker trim is missing, other than that complete.

20230110_143128.jpg

20230110_143031.jpg

20230110_142927.jpg

20230110_143206.jpg

20230110_143158.jpg

20230110_143157.jpg

20230110_143327.jpg

20230110_142857.jpg

How many miles on that aluminum block, at least on the odometer? Curious how long it went since head gasket failure was almost certain on these. Kinda reminds me of the Chevy Vega, we used to resleeve them regularly at the machine shop I worked at in the late '70s. They were generally a 50K mile engine as they came from the factory. Doubt you could get a sleeve for the slant 6, they were nearly all cast iron blocks and that was a long time ago. It was a lot easier to just replace the whole engine with a readily available cast iron block model.

Compared to the Valiant, those lancers had a face only a mother could love! Some like 'em though. I think Wildcat Auto Salvage in Sandy, OR has 4 or 5 project lancers on their web site for sale. Going to stop by next week if they are open, heard owners may be gone to Mexico.

No idea, if it's not in the pics I do not know.
I froze your video, looks like 55,931 which has got to be accurate miles with an aluminum block still in it. Probably what parked it if not the rust. No idea what the parts are worth, not a lot of commonality with Valiant body and dash parts, while they would fit have a different appearance with black buttons and other trim-out differences. I like the rear bumper better than the Valiant, beefier on each end under the taillights.

I think it's worth saving. I said it before, my Dart was just as bad or worse.
It's stuck in my brain still.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Lancer with its pointed hood and bumper, and disjointed grille with floating headlights just never appealed to me. I always liked the prominent shield-shaped grille of the Valiant, similar to the big Chryslers of that era, and even the 300 of more recent years, and the blacked-out Signet grille gave it even more depth. But I could be prejudiced having grown up with Valiants in the family. The Lancer was created as more up-scale, and I think sales numbers weren't shabby, however it was dropped in favor of the Dart as the Valiant near-twin after '62.

-
Back