woman stops grizzly attack with a .25 pistol!

-

mtandrews

beware the Ides of March
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score

This is a story of self control and marksmanship with an itsy bitsy shooter by a woman against a fierce predator.
What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself?
The Beretta Jetfire:

While out hiking in Alberta Canada with my husband we were surprised by a huge grizzly bear charging at us from out of nowhere. She must have been protecting her cubs because she was extremely aggressive.
If I had not had my little Beretta Jetfire with me I would not be here today!
Just one shot to my husband’s knee cap was all it took. The bear got him and I was able to escape by just walking away at a brisk pace..
It's one of the best pistols in my collection.

.50 Action Express stops a charging Grizzy dead in its tracks. You can ask how I know (I haven't been hunting since).

LOL, I've heard this previously. I have a .25 Jetfire, bought before I "knew better." I was instructed by a couple of gunsmiths to "never shoot anybody with it, 'cause you'll just piss them off."

I guess though, LOL, if I hit them in the knees it might work!!!!

.50AE? Hell the ballistics don't look much hotter than a 44 mag.

a .22 is too much for me. dont know how much smaller they get till you get into BB gun size. LOL

.50AE? Hell the ballistics don't look much hotter than a 44 mag.

Shoot one in the head and it will drop them everytime. You'd be amazed at how well you can sure "under pressure"

338 Lapua Mag , because it was designed to penetrate multiple layers of Kevlar and the varmits I'm most likely to shoot are generally wearing it .

338 Lapua Mag , because it was designed to penetrate multiple layers of Kevlar and the varmits I'm most likely to shoot are generally wearing it .

LOL ......you need to get the Varmits before they get you .....you can see they are dangerous by the way they eyeball you :joker:

(Returns from Google) Crap I didn't know there are so damn MANY .338 magnums.

Friend of mine used to have a 338 W or R, don't remember which, in bolt action. One weekend we were "out at his place" and he showed us a coyote he'd shot the day before "inline" right in the *** at maybe, 150--200 yds. There was nothing left except skin!!!

Yea you don't have to outrun the bear just the slowest of the group. LMAO

(Returns from Google) Crap I didn't know there are so damn MANY .338 magnums.

Friend of mine used to have a 338 W or R, don't remember which, in bolt action. One weekend we were "out at his place" and he showed us a coyote he'd shot the day before "inline" right in the *** at maybe, 150--200 yds. There was nothing left except skin!!!

The Win and Rem versions are a 30-06 case necked up to a 338 bullet usually around 200-225 grains , the Lapua is a 416 Weatherby necked down to handle a 250-300 grain bullet at speeds of 2900-3200 fps , your military commissioned it to penetrate multiple layers of kevlar at 1200 yards but the RD budget was cut and Lapua picked it up and ran with it . The high ballistic coefficient gives it more mass on impact at 2000 yards than a 50bmg that has more than twice the actual projectile weight .
Yes it tends to take what it hits and a friend of mine actually captured with a high speed camera what a prairre dog looks like when hit at 1400 yds , it did a couple of flips and landed without it's pajamas on .
If you can't tell I am in love with this cartridge .;)

"pajama's" :)

I've skinned a few varmints with a Remington 22-250 before like that.
4,800 fps and a 1 inch drop at 400yrds.

Shot a deer with it once at almost 600yrds and put the rifle back behind the truck seat.
My Brother said "You missed him" and my response was that he just doesn't know he's dead yet.
Never even took another step.

If i ever go hunting where theres bear,i,m bringing someone fatter than me.

If i ever go hunting where theres bear,i,m bringing someone fatter than me.

I used a 3030 leaver action and yes! I had a 9 mm side arm, not suppose to carry a side arm but I did, but it's been 8 years ago :D

I used a 3030 leaver action and yes! I had a 9 mm side arm, not suppose to carry a side arm but I did, but it's been 8 years ago :D

OMG 3030s are soooo heavy and big ....the recoil is way too much.

my cousin had me shoot a 3030 and me and the gun ended up on the ground after i fired it ....the shock made me drop it and i lost my balance.

I,m carrying this if theres bear.

Attachments

• DSC00092 (Large).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 232
Holy crap, Rani, somebody needs to teach you to hang on!!!

I think I shot my Dad's 30-30 when I was 14, and I was a skinny little guy back then.

I know that bear.
He now lives about 10 miles from me in a cave with the lady who shot her husband.

Dartnut, that reminds me of Texas folkie Steve Fromholz's story about Uncle Rowr,
the escaped circus bear that married Aunt Minnie. Which nobody has put on youtube YET.

BC

Shooting a gun is on my to-do list. I have never fired anything bigger than a bb gun (but my 12 year old son has shot all kinds of guns! I feel like a sissy!)

-
Back