wont go in park

-

dart_runner

Reaction score
so the dart i bought yesterday wont go into park is this a common issue and how do i fix it thanks

nick

/6? It's probably a 904 tranny.

We need more info.

If it's a cable trans, the park cable may be bound up or broken. If it goes into park but won't stay there, the over-center spring is probably broken or missing. If the car is linkage shift, it might be out of adjustment or some of the linkage bushings could be worn out or missing. On rare occasions there could be an internal trans problem.

If it's a cable trans, the park cable may be bound up or broken. If it goes into park but won't stay there, the over-center spring is probably broken or missing. If the car is linkage shift, it might be out of adjustment or some of the linkage bushings could be worn out or missing. On rare occasions there could be an internal trans problem.

very rare indeed.lol

its a 73 dart im not sure on transmission type its a slant 6 225 automatic

Check underneath the car, where the linkage from your shifter connects to the transmission. There will be an adjustment bolt that you can loosen/tighten on your shifter linkage. Loosen it off, put the shifter in park, and put the tranny in park. Then tighten the bolt back down where they naturally sit.

look here
My 69 has same problem, 70DartMike is telling you the solution I know of. I tried it once long ago and couldnt get it right. I couldnt figure exactly what "arm" and bolts they referred to. I decided to stop and finish replacing my carpet, it was too late to try again that day. I'll have to try this again some day.
Let me know how it goes. I can get in park but sometimes it takes work.

"Some Valiants (and other cars) will not start in Park, but can be started in Neutral. Bill Watson wrote that the shifter linkage might be out of adjustment:

The linkage from your steering column attaches to an "arm" that sticks out from the tranny on the driver's side. Get under the car while someone moves the gearshift linkage. Place the car in park, loosen the bolts to the "arm", push the arm all the way in the direction park is engaged. Then push your gear level all the over the left - as far into "P" as it will go. Then tighten everything up.

Or the problem could be the neutral safety switch, if it will not crank at all and the battery is good:

As for finding the neutral safety switich, there will be a small wire attached to your starter solenoid that leads down under the floor toward the transmission. Follow this wire. You will find the neutral safety switch at the other end of it.

"

its a 73 dart im not sure on transmission type its a slant 6 225 automatic
Most likely is the linkage is out of adjustment, worn, bent, or has a bad bushing. Before doing any work on it, make sure the wheels are chocked (or ideally, the car is up in the air on stands). If all the bushings and connections are good and tight, disconnect the shift linkage right at the first lever on the transmission. Push that lever all the way to the rear (that's Park). Check to verify that the driveshaft won't turn. Then put the shifter in the Park position. Adjust the linkage so the last rod will slide into the hole in the lever without having to force it. Move the shifter to 1st/low. Pull the link back off the lever and verify the trans in in low (the forward most position) There again the link should slip into the lever hole without having to move the linkage or forcing it in. Sometimes adding a washer to various linkage connections will help tighten things up if you have a lot of slop. Just make sure nothing binds and that the hairpins/cotter pins are installed and in good shape.

The comments above are great, but need clarification. "Park" consists of two separate functions and linkages.

1. "Transmission gear selector", which is a series of levers in your car. This controls the transmission shifts thru the "valve body". The factory or Haynes manual should explain how to adjust the linkage, since that is a regular maintenance item. Similar even in new cars. If not adjusted correct, the "neutral safety" switch will be open which disables the starter relay.

2. The other is the "park sprag lock" which is a cable going to the rear of the transmission. This is a cable in all Dart years. This sets a pawl in a tooth on the output shaft and locks the wheels. In newer Chryslers this is done in #1 via an internal linkage in the tranny. This one is most important for safety since not everyone (ex. my wife) thinks to set the "parking brake" (or "E-brake"). My friend's truck was recently messed up by his wife not setting the brake and leaving in "D".

The comments above are great, but need clarification. "Park" consists of two separate functions and linkages.

1. "Transmission gear selector", which is a series of levers in your car. This controls the transmission shifts thru the "valve body". The factory or Haynes manual should explain how to adjust the linkage, since that is a regular maintenance item. Similar even in new cars. If not adjusted correct, the "neutral safety" switch will be open which disables the starter relay.

2. The other is the "park sprag lock" which is a cable going to the rear of the transmission. This is a cable in all Dart years. This sets a pawl in a tooth on the output shaft and locks the wheels. In newer Chryslers this is done in #1 via an internal linkage in the tranny. This one is most important for safety since not everyone (ex. my wife) thinks to set the "parking brake" (or "E-brake"). My friend's truck was recently messed up by his wife not setting the brake and leaving in "D".
A '73 Dart does not have a Park cable. It uses the same linkage for all transmission positions, Once you get inside the transmission, the park linkage splits off with a rod that operates the parking pawl.

wow that took some fiddlen, but i got mine working right....
shifts tight and into all gears :)

A '73 Dart does not have a Park cable. It uses the same linkage for all transmission positions, Once you get inside the transmission, the park linkage splits off with a rod that operates the parking pawl.
cudamark,
Great info (as always). So, 73+ 904 transmissions are exactly like the transverse Torqueflites w/ an internal Park linkage. Indeed, I have our Voyager's A404 apart in my garage, awaiting parts. After rebuilding an A604 last month and this A404, I am no longer afraid to take on my 904 and 727's. They look scary in the schematic with all the nested parts, but are very approachable when taken apart (w/ shop manual). The A604 is the simplest since no bands, but a 904 or 727 master kit costs less.

Hello All,

While my 72 Dart is actually a 318 car, it also utilizes the 904. Took a peak under the car and my bushing holding the pivot in place for the shift linkage are done for. Any idea where I can find these bushings? I ordered some from Rockauto but they turned out to be the wrong ones. Feel free to PM me. Thank you!

Regards,
Ben Porcaro

Most likely is the linkage is out of adjustment, worn, bent, or has a bad bushing. Before doing any work on it, make sure the wheels are chocked (or ideally, the car is up in the air on stands). If all the bushings and connections are good and tight, disconnect the shift linkage right at the first lever on the transmission. Push that lever all the way to the rear (that's Park). Check to verify that the driveshaft won't turn. Then put the shifter in the Park position. Adjust the linkage so the last rod will slide into the hole in the lever without having to force it. Move the shifter to 1st/low. Pull the link back off the lever and verify the trans in in low (the forward most position) There again the link should slip into the lever hole without having to move the linkage or forcing it in. Sometimes adding a washer to various linkage connections will help tighten things up if you have a lot of slop. Just make sure nothing binds and that the hairpins/cotter pins are installed and in good shape.

-
Back