Won't Shift Into Gear While Running

-
duster360 - Yes put a new roller bearing one in, well at least that is what the guy who put it together said. Since the tires move freely in gear with the clutch disengaged I don't think it is the pilot.

duster360 - Yes put a new roller bearing one in, well at least that is what the guy who put it together said. Since the tires move freely in gear with the clutch disengaged I don't think it is the pilot.

If it is a roller bearing then that would throw my theory out the window. If by chance it was a bushing like the factory installed, they usually have to be fitted to the input shaft. If it rides too tight on the shaft it will get tighter on the input shaft once it builds a little heat from the friction. I have been there and done that. But if it is a roller bearing that would not be the issue. Good luck.

FWIW, I just went and checked 2 borg/beck and 1 centerforce clutch set, and non of the discs could go in backwards without interfering with the crank bolts.. Could fit without the bolts though..

cheers

FWIW, I just went and checked 2 borg/beck and 1 centerforce clutch set, and non of the discs could go in backwards without interfering with the crank bolts.. Could fit without the bolts though..

cheers

89 to at least 95 Chevy S10 trucks can. LOL

Are all the bushing shells in the z bar on the ball pivots? If not, the z bar could 'tip' at a certain point in its rotation and let the clutch re-engineering slightly.

Sounds like close observation of the entire clutch pedal linkage during it's throw is in order. Something has to be letting the TO bearing move back away from the PP again..

Whoa!
If the departure goes from enough to not enough as the pedal goes down, and then the disc tightens up again with the pedal on the floor; that kindof speaks to a bent or warped or somehow damaged disc. Meh, maybe not.
The Zbar tube is sitting parallel to the floor and at 90* to the vehicle centerline,right? And is positively located by that special clip,right?;so that the bar cannot move back and forth on the pivot balls,right? And the pivot balls are similarly positively located,right? If the bar shifts, some pedal-motion will be lost,as the linkage will, as Phreakish says;"re-engineer " itself.

Quick update - talked with a couple of the 4 speed guys (Brewer's, Passon) and they said McLoed had a bad run about two years ago of pressure plates, right about when this one was purchased. The fingers were put in incorrectly and it allows the clutch to go over center and bind up. Sounds about what is happening with this car. Now to call McLoed.

Quick update - talked with a couple of the 4 speed guys (Brewer's, Passon) and they said McLoed had a bad run about two years ago of pressure plates, right about when this one was purchased. The fingers were put in incorrectly and it allows the clutch to go over center and bind up. Sounds about what is happening with this car. Now to call McLoed.

Have you watched the linkage and arm through the sweep though?

It sounds like this is very possible, but you can very quickly rule out the linkage by watching it as it's depressed. If the linkage is setup such that it can back off at max travel, it'll need fixed anyway. Personally, I'd rule out everything else before going all the way back into the clutch.

Update - Just got the pressure plate and clutch back from McLeod and it will now shift into gear while running! Just drove it around my yard a few times. Only problem I still have is the clutch is grinding slightly when the pedal is all the way in only. Everything works fine if the clutch pedal is like 90% down.

Update - Just got the pressure plate and clutch back from McLeod and it will now shift into gear while running! Just drove it around my yard a few times. Only problem I still have is the clutch is grinding slightly when the pedal is all the way in only. Everything works fine if the clutch pedal is like 90% down.

Sounds like you should adjust the linkage, then ;) the throw out is probably travelling too far.

-
Back