Work shoes - whadya like?

-
Timely thread, especially with winter coming on.

Billy and I were just talking last night about some more serious work boots. Though I wear tennis shoes through good weather, I've got some hiking boots for the cold. With a new contract for 45 lb.+ a/c vent covers though, I need to consider some steel toes.

I don't really have a problem with sore feet at all, but standing on concrete all day every day takes its toll on my lower back. Any further comments on the boot suggestions offered along those lines? Dr. Scholl's inserts don't really do much for me.

Lots of research to do from this thread, thanks guys! I just hope they have something that won't make me look like a lesbian lumberjack.

I have heard good stuff of other brands than the dr. scholls inserts, they just dont have anything other than tennis/walking shoes though. I was packing 240 pounds on concrete 10-12 miles a night with the shoes, according to the time engineers was more like 12-14 miles but I knew a few short cuts........HA

Any branded pair of shoes in formals work for me as long as the quality is good.

I try and get the lowest priced steel toes I can because I do alot of painting and bodywork and the boots get trashed with wet sanding sludge,bondo,dust,thinner and paint.:angry7:And they have to be waterproof.I hate soaked feet at the end of the day,especially in the winter.lol

Yup...after years of doing body work, I still have this mentality even now that I'm turning a wrench. I'll even waterproof 'em myself with Thompson's Water Seal.

The only thing I look for: do they fit right? Even the most expensive shoe will kill your feet if it's not a good fit. Which is why I'm leery of buying off the web. I need to try 'em on and walk a bit.

Is it within budget? Usually my budget says WalMart, K-Mart or Target for $30-$40. Considering I get 18-24 months out 'em I don't think that's too bad.

I've paid over a $100 bucks for shoes once in my life. Those are my cowboy boots. Bought 'em 20 years ago. I can walk all day in 'em. Too bad I couldn't get 'em resoled for traction on wet concrete and have a steel toe put in 'em. But since they only come out on Sundays and on special occasions like taking the wife out (even got married in 'em) I'd hate to abuse 'em that much.

I have the worse time finding shoes that fit. I need wide sizes. I usually end up with cheap sneakers. I dont need steal toes anymore but water proof or resistant would be nice.

I've been in the "walk on concrete" business for 12 years now. I have found that it is worth the money to buy good shoes. I've worn Georgia, Lehigh, Redwing and Wolverine, and (for me) the Wolverines were absolutely the BEST! They have a "durashock" insole and heel that really protects your joints and back. I had to wear steeltoes for years, and it is still my choice. I'm in the plant about 1/2 the day now, office 1/2. I want the 'toes so I can go home with 10, but needed a dress shoe for the office. I found some low-top Wolverines that fit the bill. They are a little clunky, but so am I. I tried the Wal-mart boots at first, they lasted around 8 months and one pair actually sent me to the chiropractor after 3 weeks! I have wide feet, but once I figured out what brand/size to get, my steeltoes are more comfortable than my New Balance tennies after 12 hours on my feet. Since I started forking over the $180 - $220 for the good shoes, each pair has lasted well over 3 years, I usually retire them when the look too beat, or the sole actually wears off. Also, no more back problems.

Bought the Dewalt "Wrench" shoe. Very comfortable, seem durable enough but we'll see. Composite toe. On sale at Sears for $65. Made in China.:( Tried the Timbos again but they felt much bulkier and would need to be broken in. Plus they were $85.

They even look decent enough to wear out of the shop.

I have the worse time finding shoes that fit. I need wide sizes. I usually end up with cheap sneakers. I dont need steal toes anymore but water proof or resistant would be nice.

These are what I wear now. I tried cheap WallyWorld boots, but they hurt pretty much from the get-go. And they didn't last.

These are made by a Canadian company(not sure if the boots are Canadian or Chinese made, I'll have to look) called JB Goodhue. I bought them at a local Safety Supply outlet. They are EEE width, and the most comfortable steel toed boot that I've ever worn.

Working in a pulp mill you have no choice but to be working in or near water. These are very water resistant, and treating them makes them almost waterproof.

For $160, they last well, I got almost 3 years out of the last pair.

And did I mention that they are comfy? :-D

Saw the shoes and quite liked it do you have any address or shop where I can get my hands on such a pair looks absolutely awesome.

Bought the Dewalt "Wrench" shoe. Very comfortable, seem durable enough but we'll see. Composite toe. On sale at Sears for $65. Made in China.:( Tried the Timbos again but they felt much bulkier and would need to be broken in. Plus they were $85.

They even look decent enough to wear out of the shop.

Jut an update - shoes are great. Very comfy and wearing very well. So far a great buy!

I ended up buying the Timberland Pro's after reading the recommendations in this thread. Been a pretty good shoe so far. I have worn Timberlands for years, and have always had good luck with them.

wow-- lot's of choices-- I'm on my feet & in/out 10 hours a day-- I've tried redwings, durashocks, cats--

I found out that buying skechers 1 size larger & adding an insert is my best bet.. I do not need steel toes & when I tried on a pair they cramped my foot -- so I never have tried steelies again.

I cannot wear high top boots in the warmer months just too hot & my feet can't take the heat.

I rotate the shoes daily to prevent feet problems, I wear shoes out quickly 3months max (lots of persperation) -- even for the high $$ shoes.

Usually the leather stretches out & the soles are still decent.
Lawrence

i always wear redwing boots with the king box composite toe i work at the shipyard here on carriers so up and down ladders and walking on steel all day tried other brands but felt very brickish there also waterproof and eltric rated witch helps since im an
electrician

Retired from the post office. Spent years walking on some funky asbestos floor. Always wore a good hiking boot....

-
Back