workin' out the bugs

-

66dartman

Reaction score
Took the car for a shakedown last night and found many annoying little bugs to work out which are actually serious little bugs. Still chasing heat issues, oil leaks from mopar chrome oil dipstick tube and from 90 degree oil filter adapter.
GRRRRR!!!! Oh the fun of new car bugs. Had to cool it off after 230 was hit on the temp, I think I have this one figured out. Has anyone used any other type of dipstick tube other than the mopar one, like Milodon or Lokar? The mopar one is a pain to install and even though I siliconed it it still leaks. As for the 90 degree filter adapter, are there better gaskets for those other than the mopar ones? Oh well, at least I have winter to get the car painted and finished.

Congrats dartman. At least you're far enough ahead on your project to have little leaks and frustrations, but they're just part of the ongoing build. For a lot of us, the only way we could get a leak in the engine compartment is if we stood on the roof and had a whiz. :)

66dartman said:
Took the car for a shakedown last night and found many annoying little bugs to work out which are actually serious little bugs. Still chasing heat issues, oil leaks from mopar chrome oil dipstick tube and from 90 degree oil filter adapter.
GRRRRR!!!! Oh the fun of new car bugs. Had to cool it off after 230 was hit on the temp, I think I have this one figured out. Has anyone used any other type of dipstick tube other than the mopar one, like Milodon or Lokar? The mopar one is a pain to install and even though I siliconed it it still leaks. As for the 90 degree filter adapter, are there better gaskets for those other than the mopar ones? Oh well, at least I have winter to get the car painted and finished.

Nothing mopar performance ever seals right lol. Thats my experience...pretty much. The oil filter adapter...do you need it? I never run one because its just another place to leak, i just run a shorty filter :toothy7:

I'l have to check and see if a shorty filter will clear my headers. Do you have the number of the filter you use? I use Napa and could probobly cross any brand. I will be taking some pics of this car soon; been busy with O/T at work, and working on it but this weekend I will snap some shots. Thanks guys!

wix 850168 i think i am not sure i am at school right now i will have to check for you when i get home

Did you put all the gaskets on for the adapter? If memory serves me right, I installed 3 different gaskets when installing my adapter. I have one on my 318 and don't have any leaks.

I have Hooker headers, regular pain in the butt 1-5/8 street headers. A Fram PH43 or PH16 fits in, no problem to the block.
The MoPar Chrome dipstick should be a press in. Mine doesn't leak. Try scruffing the bottom nipple with sand paper or wire wheel, then sealent.

I think after checking that a shorty will be just a little to long to fit with the dougs headers. I have all 3 gaskets on the adapter and I will try to retighten the bolt. As far as dipstick tubes go, went ahead and bought the fancy Milodon piece and will install it tonight with some high temp silicone. I am glad that I am having trouble with this engine and not with the $20,000 Detroits that I build all the time lol. Believe it or not, I actually took some shots that turned out poor so I will take some more and hopefully figure out how to get them on here. Thanks again for replies!

I had after market V covers, and no PCV. when the dipstick started blowing enough oil to ruin my airfilter, I went back to the stock covers, and no more leak.

1976 duster 003.jpg

-
Back