Working out in the winter

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
So during the summer I will either run two miles or ride my bike 5 miles in the morning before work....but now in the winter it's hard to do either of those things, so I am restricted to sit ups, and stretches on a mat in the house.

Working on cars is often a great physical activity too but again, unless you have a lot of time, big garage and huge heater........It's tough

What do you guys do to stay fit in the winter?

Well, this is the Sacramento, Commiefornia area, so no snow.
I walk around my neighborhood, three times a day.
Each walk is one mile.
My pace usually takes me 18 minutes, and around the 2,200 steps mark.
And now i have also been taking my bike out, and peddling around, that i haven't been doing in quite some time.

Might i ad, that between April and October, last year, i lost 50 pounds of weight, off this old mans body, by upping my walking distance.
Started out at 230 pounds, and got down to 180 pounds, which i have been staying at, the past 10 weeks.
I'm now back at my Air Force weight 44 + years ago.

Last edited:
So during the summer I will either run two miles or ride my bike 5 miles in the morning before work....but now in the winter it's hard to do either of those things, so I am restricted to sit ups, and stretches on a mat in the house.

Working on cars is often a great physical activity too but again, unless you have a lot of time, big garage and huge heater........It's tough

My exercise involves a chainsaw and splitting maul

I've been splitting a lot of wood lately getting ready for the cold snap. Swing a maul and a sledge hammer for a while, that'll get your heart pumping

Since you already have a bike, might I suggest an indoor bike trainer? They're incredibly effective. I know a lot of pro cyclists use them year-round.

7OEouEnAS4O6kewbU0Y7bA.jpg

Treadmill set up in front of a 40 inch TV, utube me a senic area of someone riding a bike, in Belgium, Germany or on the beach 30 to 40 minute 4 to 5 miles gets my hart rate up and usually drink 1 and a half bottles of water right before breakfast. 65 and still alive.

20200805_082647.jpg

Since you already have a bike, might I suggest an indoor bike trainer? They're incredibly effective. I know a lot of pro cyclists use them year-round.

View attachment 1716191050
Before I messed-up my knees I used two Kinetic trainers- one for each bike. Still have both of them for some odd reason, but they're not used amymore.

Q's: First off, do you have the large flywheel for your trainer? If not, I highly recommend it! Secondly, if you or any of your cycling buddies are looking for a Rock-n-Roll Kinetic trainer, I happen to know where one is....low miles....only driven to church by a little old lady.... :lol:

Anywhoooo, take care of your knees!

Jim

Donuts and cookies. I eat donuts and cookies. Round is a shape, and i am staying in it.

On a serious note, I picked up a elliptical for free that was a dust collector for the previous owner. 20-30 minutes a day at an accelerated pace, crunches, jumping jacks and push ups. I actually need to get back on most of that now that the holidays have passed.

i have something like that but all my bikes have tread on th etires and are loud as hell..lol
I have mountain biker buddies who will have a spare rear wheel with a "slick" tire just for the trainer. Helps keep the noise down.

Before I messed-up my knees I used two Kinetic trainers- one for each bike. Still have both of them for some odd reason, but they're not used amymore.

Q's: First off, do you have the large flywheel for your trainer? If not, I highly recommend it! Secondly, if you or any of your cycling buddies are looking for a Rock-n-Roll Kinetic trainer, I happen to know where one is....low miles....only driven to church by a little old lady.... :lol:

Anywhoooo, take care of your knees!

Jim
I don't have a large flywheel for it. Is that an easy swap and what are the benefits? This particular trainer is indeed a Rock-n-Roll Kinetic trainer -- I love it. A friend loaned it to me when I broke my foot, and it never left.

Agree on taking care of our knees!! I raced for several years and I'm starting to feel it in cold weather. Aging sucks.

I don't have a large flywheel for it. Is that an easy swap and what are the benefits? This particular trainer is indeed a Rock-n-Roll Kinetic trainer -- I love it. A friend loaned it to me when I broke my foot, and it never left.

Agree on taking care of our knees!! I raced for several years and I'm starting to feel it in cold weather. Aging sucks.
It's been a few years, and I'll try to remember to get a picture or three when I get home this evening, but from that I can remember it's a simple install: Place it over the small/original wheel, and tighten down the center wing nut (or maybe it's a bolt).

The main benefit is that you're not constantly trying to "restart" the wheel, if you get my drift. It's hard for me to describe, but with the wheel mounted-up there's more "mass" to keep it spinning, and as a long distance rider I found that preferable. (Back in the Day I thought nothing of doing a century, or even a 150, with little prior notice). However, as racer (ex- or current), if you do wind sprints/intervals on your trainer you may find it annoying, as the flywheel effect will work against you...if that makes any sense.

Too bad you're a half-country away, otherwise I'd be happy to send mine out for you to try.

(Edit: Then again, it's not that heavy...., and I'm not using it...)

Last edited:
I just joined planet fitness yesterday for 10$ a month. I do good working out at home but this should motivate me to do more cardio.

winter walk 08 092.JPG

Snowshoeing would be fun in your neck of the woods. Pretty easy to rent a pair or even rope a friend to go with I bet.
  1. Your body uses a lot of energy just making heat when its chilly.
  2. You see stuff and go places that you wouldn't other times of the year.
  3. No membership necessary!
  4. Have it all to yourself often.

My wife and I have been doing the Caroline Girvan work outs for 3 years now. I can't believe she lets me watch them :lol:

Like many others have stated... it keeps the Wife slim and trim as well ! Been cutting, splitting, stacking, lugging and getting the 6 "heats" of wood together for 42 years now.
firewood2015 004.JPG

firewood2015 037.JPG

firewood2015 042.JPG

kristalmushroomlogs 003.JPG

Like many others have stated... it keeps the Wife slim and trim as well ! Been cutting, splitting, stacking, lugging and getting the 6 "heats" of wood together for 42 years now.
View attachment 1716191105

View attachment 1716191106

View attachment 1716191107

View attachment 1716191109
Holy hell that's a lot of wood. We usually go through about 3 face chords a year here. Try to stay 2 years ahead so the wood is nicely seasoned before burning...........I am really surprised that those saws you have are up to the task :lol:

I have a stationary bike that folds up some to save space in storage, and a rowing machine. Both are idiot simple manual units but they work fine for my needs. I got them at yard sales so I might have $50 in the two of them at most.

-
Back