Working out? P90x? other alternatives?

-

varlo

Joe- Long Island, Oakdale
Reaction score
As the title says im interested to see if there is anyone on here who has done this or possibly thought about it. I know pretty much everyone on here works hard and is busy a lot. So it is hard to manage and balance all things considered. For those of you who know me im 22 years old, got in a car accident back in june and havent been right since. I was working out and hitting the gym prior to that and dropped over 30 pounds. Now with my narcotic painkillers I need to eat so the meds sit well with me, resulting in additional unwanted weight. Physical therapy, tens unit, and any kind of machine or massage therapy you name it and it hasnt helped much at all. Injections into my spine, nope they really havent helped either. So what do I do from here. Hope another needle into my spine will the the trick? I don't have any faith in that before due to the fact that my 2 previous shots havent worked. So I got to thinking, why not do it the old fashioned way? I know its gunna be very painful and pretty much torture but i figured since nothing else has worked since June why not try something else? whats the worst that will happen Ill be in the same place im in right now? Plus Im 22 and want to look and feel good so i figured what the hell.

Hopefully there are some feel good stories on this forum.

If you take the time to watch some of the videos they are truly amazing.
http://www.facebook.com/p90x?sk=wall

-Joe

Good luck to you Joe. Hope you find some thing to help you out and get some relief. I cant help you any. Don't work out at all. Well I work at a feed store so I work out all day. LOL

Joe, I hope this works for you and This old dog in a powerwheel chair can learn from you.

The wife and I got P90X late last year because we are gonna get in shape. It has a preliminary workout that's kinda a precoursor to what's to come.....in other words........if you can't do that, you sure as HELL can't do the P90X program. We've decided that the preliminary workout is all we're gonna do.....cause all we wanna do is lose weight and get toned up......not ripped *** all up. The preliminary workout ain't no slouch.....course I'm disabled and older than I used to be too. We actually had to work up to doing that but we can do it all the way through now.

I just started the P90X. Good workout. I veiwed through the whole thing first, well, much of it actually. There claims should hold up for most people. I do not see an issue with it. Just be careful and take it slow. Do not match there speed of doing the workout. Just do what they do at your speed.

If you feel that a certain excercise step is to much for you or your uncomfortable with it, skip it and do another excersie on the same muscle instead.

Watch what they do first, the rewind the disc and copy. Do what you can and then stop. Don't go balls out. Just as much as you can and stop.

I should have P90X tomorrow I am getting it from someone who gave up or never started.I know your pain I have been getting steroid/cortizone shots in my foot and back on and off for years.My knees are next. misspent youth,car accident,motocross/hairscrambles,and field of work.I'm only 34 go figure.

The biggest difference for us was the diet. We actually stopped the workout for a time, yet kept losing weight. The diet is the key to the whole shebang.

The biggest difference for us was the diet. We actually stopped the workout for a time, yet kept losing weight. The diet is the key to the whole shebang.

There is a ton of truth to this for certain people while others will need to move around or outright excersize. Much of which depends on how there body is. Or was. Kids burn up the food/energy fast and adults do not, mostly. Not ever adult metabolism slows down alot while most do, some alomost stop.

I did P90x for a while when I had time and noticed a big change in muscle mass. How it is set up enables you to vary how hard you work at it depending on your personnel ability. Like some other posters said, just make sure you watch what they do first so you know how to do it correctly. I think the biggest key to success with P90x is personnel honesty. If you are the type of person who won't keep pushing yourself you won't see improvments ( assuming you are working out by yourself ) since no one is in the room with you pushing you on.

I've started working out again, but just by myself with a weight bench in my garage. I already feel better, more energy, etc. I think if you can keep an eye on your diet, most any work out plan will be beneficial. The biggest thing I'd warn against is over exerting yourself initially. From what your original post says, it seems as if you already have quite a bit of pain. Make sure that when you are working out that the burn you are feeling isn't actually hurting you. After 8 years of running cross country and track I've learned the stretching properly is paramount to getting in better shape and feeling better.

Hope this helps!

Save yourself the money and go to www.warriorxfit.com its an awesome cardio workout basically like p90x. Our blackbelts use it for cardio but add boxing and kicking combos between the excercise sets

How about Brazilian Jiu-jitsu? It's made for one on one challenge fighting, is a great workout, and really gets the endorphens pumping. I've been doing it for nine years and trust me man, it gets you in GREAT combat shape.

P90X is tough, but it's fun and worth the pain. I never did the diet though. I didn't want to lose weight, just wanted to get in great shape. I'm also 22 years old, and lately haven't been doing the workout due to not having the time. But I work a very physically demanding job so every day I get a good workout at work :p

In my opinion, as an EMT with a degree in Sport Science( strength training)
if you have medical stuff leading up a program like p90x is not going to be the safest bet because it dosent give you the proper feedback on your technique that you would get from a CERTIFIED personal trainer, or physical therapist for guidance. all these programs that promise results from a super tough work out have one thing in common they push up the speed and take less time to recover between exercises. that is ok for a person that is perfectly healthy but in no way should someone with a history of illness or injury follow programs like that. You need guidance from a pro. the saying in the stregth training world is "any idiot can make you tired"

I agree with rj72cda because of your prior injuries. I workout 3-5 times per week and have recently started doing cross-fit which is a program similar to p90x. You can see alot of the crossfit routines on you tube. I do it three times a week and have to say it works. Just start slow by doing what you can and go from there. IMO if you are able to target your core and start gaining strength there you might be able to get some relief. Good luck with whatever you do but it can't hurt to have whatever you decide to do reviewed by a doc or physical therapist.

I know a couple of people that have done the P90X, and have made small gians, but once they stopped, what they lost all came back. I am 39 years old, and have been a Type 1 diabetic since I was 15. At 18 I decided it was time to put on some weight ( I was really skinny) and the working out would be good for my health. Since then I have worked 3-4 times a week faithfully, for only an hour eachtime. I have been told I am in very good shape, but I owe all that to just doing it weekly. Your body will let you know what works and what does not, just pay close attention to how it feels. I still lift heavy, but I find now I respect how I do the exercises more, and make sure I am careful. I am no longer out to impress anyone. All exercise is good if you can get into a routine and keep up with it as well. Going to the gym is my addiction. Hope you can find a plan that works for you. Have you tried supplements such as l-glutuamine before?

Crossfit can kick your *** for sure.

I'd suggest you develop a almost daily cardio habit, like running, jogging, or biking each morning. I run 3 miles each morning and eat just about whatever I want with no worries or weight gain.

sounds like you need more of a cardio/diet weight controller, along with some rehab, then a p90x/crossfit get-ripped worrkout

P90x works IF you actaully use it. Prob is you kinda have to already have to be in shape to be able to follow it.

For spine problems I tried doing pull-ups as part of a therapy and while it does not work for everyone in my case I am now 100% pain-free if I keep up with it.

Check with your GP first and then maybe make an appointment with a sports medcine MD.

Best of luck! -LY.

-
Back