worn out leafs?

-

J-man

Reaction score
While undertaking a 8.75 rear axle swap on my 69 dart I nicked one of the air lines to the rear air shocks. It released the pressure form the system didn't think much of it at the time since the car was on stands. The swap is now complete when I went to lower the car and it went (almost literally) to the ground. I believe that the previous owner who cheeped out on a lot of things put air shocks on the car to raise it back up and avoid replacing the springs. Also when I lift from the rear the rear axle travels up a lot more then it used to. I believe the springs are worn allowing the axle to travel. I talked with the guys at a shop and they said that it is really unlikely that the springs would be that worn out and the air shocks couldn't take that much load off the car. I installed new hotchkis shocks all around to hopefully help but no such luck. looking for someone with more experience on the subject so I'm not throwing $ at the wrong problem. Thanks for any input

Yup. The springs are shot. You can have them reached, which, if done correctly, (with heat) will last a long time, but it will very likely cost more than a new pair of springs.

Shocks arent designed to hold up car. Springs are. Apparently previous owner knew springs were weak, and put air shocks on it. They will raise the vehicle, but if you use them to lift/support weight of vehicle, eventually you will be replacing not only the springs but also shock mounts and different shocks too.
(Kinda like Mr GoodWrench commercial, you can pay me now, or you can pay me later.)

Yup. The springs are shot. You can have them reached, which, if done correctly, (with heat) will last a long time, but it will very likely cost more than a new pair of springs.

True, but if you re-arch your springs, the arch can be adjusted to the ride height you want.

True, but if you re-arch your springs, the arch can be adjusted to the ride height you want.

100% correct. But the labor rates in most shops is around 100 an hour give or take. That job books for between 5-7 hours. That makes new sprAngs look mighty good. lol

I took a different approach, but I'll admit, "I was lucky" (with the outcome.)

I junked out another A, so I took my origininal, and the junker, leaf packs apart, and put the longest leafs from both sets together, ending up with a pack that has one more leaf total than original. It jacked mine up "just right" and is nice and stiff.

Attachments

• Dart800.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 276
I did the same as Del, only my extra leaf came from an '88 M body. Same results; a little extra ride height and good firm suspension. Since the car sets level, that extra lift probably brought it up into original specs.
C

thank you everyone I couldn't see what else it could be well good thing I saved up for some springs now which ones lol

I talked with the guys at a shop and they said that it is really unlikely that the springs would be that worn out and the air shocks couldn't take that much load off the car.

That statement is total BS on both counts.

I junked out another A, so I took my origininal, and the junker, leaf packs apart, and put the longest leafs from both sets together, ending up with a pack that has one more leaf total than original. It jacked mine up "just right" and is nice and stiff.

Seen this done on a 68 Cuda,actually worked well. A re-arch,or new spring are the right ways. A different option: Mail ordered springs,usually kill you on frieight. Check the a local spring shop,for new springs as well. After that,start pricing .

I have done that more than once. It is also likely that the OP not only has worn out springs, but worn out low performance springs which were weaker to begin with. The springs are worn out in my GTS (something over 150,000 miles), but it doesn't sit as low as many A-bodies did when new...

-
Back