Worn trans mount bushings? Or other issue

-

Agent_Orange

Reaction score
My apologies if this has been discussed. I might not have been using the right key words in my searches. So i'm hearing 2 distinct sounds coming from under the car when I'm accelerating at anything more than feather-light throttle.

Sound:
1) imaging a heavy wood table being pulled across a wood floor. That low frequency, strained grunt sound. I would hear this sound the most when my car shifts from 1‐2, accelerating at normal speed of traffic, especially while turning.

2) turn a plastic lowes bucket upside down on the floor and thump it with the handle of a hammer or large screwdriver. This sound occurs at tge 1-2 shift with a more spirited sort of acceleration. While driving, it's hard to pinpoint where the sound is actually coming from.

The car is a 1974 duster 318. TCI streetfighter 727. Not sure on stall model or size, feels like 2800ish. Just put in a fresh filter and atf+4. The old oil looked suspicious to my ignorant eyes. Smelled like normal trans oils, but it did have some pearl dust size metal fragments settle out in the catch bucket. Enough to where there was a thin layer across the bottom.

Ford 8.8 rear end

Not sure what other information is relevant. Thanks guys.

*Oh one more thing, the bushings on my trans mount look tired, and I don't see anywhere in the tunnel that looks to be taking a beating.*

20230605_204101.jpg

Last edited:
Hold the car back with the brakes at a stop. With the hood open have someone look to see if the engine is lifting or moving. That would be the first thing to do. Sometimes the exhaust pipe hitting the floor would make the sounds you are describing.

Is there an exhaust pipe rubbing the floor when the engine mounts flex?

I will check the engine mounts this evening as described above. That bucket pop sound only occurs on a spirited shift from 1-2... maybe that rules out nothing. I will report back.

74 lowered Duster possible pinion snubber rubber worn away, worn out loose trans mount,
and as stated before engine mounts and or exhaust hitting, time for inspection.

Okay. Transmission oil was 1/2 qt over full, checked with engine running, oil warmed up and in neutral. And also it looks like I don't have a pinion snubber on this shortened 8.8 Ford rear end. That's my fault. I'm going to research how to set them up and build one.

-
Back