Worst Cyclone(Hurricane)Ever

-

nqkjw

Reaction score
Cyclone Yasi.
Happening right now.
This thing is apparently the biggest baddest one the WORLD has ever seen.
A lot worse than Katrina they're telling us.
I live in Townsville so I'm only on the edge of the destructive area but i can tell you...it's pretty wild outside!!!
35 suburbs in my town have lost power so it's only a matter of time before mine goes.
And we're only on the edge of the destructive area!!!

IDE00035.201102021030.jpg

IDQ65001.gif

IDQ65002.shtml

Wow, sure makes our snow day here in NA pretty trivial. All the best stay high and stay dry!! Well stay high

WOW!! Stay safe and I hope that monster weakens soon for everyone there.
That thing is large to say the least Chime back in so we know you are doing ok JW...

WOW that is hugh! We had Andrew pass through here back in 92. It was a cat 5 storm and leveled everything in its way across the state.

Be safe and take precautions.

Attachments

• HurricaneAndrew1o (Custom).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 245
Hey all,just got my power back on.
It went out the other night just after I started this thread.
Maximum winds we had in my town were 190kph.
All I lost was one TV aerial and one garden shed door buckled in.
Worst was around 3am in the morning.Just unbelievable the howling noise and things hitting things everywhere.
By 7am I was game to venture outside and see what damage there was.I was pleased at so little to my place.
The road opened to the South this morning.
The road west is cut to the west to Charters Towers with the Burdekin river being 4m over.
The road north is cut with Ingham being flooded.
Council has done a sterling job of clearing the roads of fallen trees.
Still shiploads of power poles and lines down.
Traffic is mayhem with very few traffic lights operating.
The few servos open have lineups of 50-150 cars.Glad I've got 2000litres of diesel on hand!!!
Obviously it's a lot worse north of us but if you want to know the feeling of everyone I've spoken with....no one is very ruffled by it.Just a big storm and a big mess to clean up.No real problem.

Worst was around 3am in the morning.Just unbelievable the howling noise and things hitting things everywhere.
By 7am I was game to venture outside and see what damage there was.I was pleased at so little to my place.
The road west is cut to the west to Charters Towers with the Burdekin river being 4m over.
The few servos open have lineups of 50-150 cars.Glad I've got 2000litres of diesel on hand!!!
Obviously it's a lot worse north of us but if you want to know the feeling of everyone I've spoken with....no one is very ruffled by it.Just a big storm and a big mess to clean up.No real problem.

Glad you're OK!

Great to hear. The blow I can deal with. Its the tornadoes in it you cant see that scare hell outta me.

Good news on your situation. You have been lucky.

Thank you for chiming in and letting us know you and yours are going to be ok nqkjw, All we get on the news here is the worst as I am sure you know :sad1:
Stay strong and keep on keeping on Bra :thumbup:

Geez, just seeing those satellite images brought back a lot of Katrina memories I wish I didn't still have and got my heart rate up about 100 beats higher than usual. (Am I EVER going to get over that??? It's been 5 1/2 years for cryin out loud ... :-()

I'm so glad to hear you had limited damage and the cleanup is already underway. Please keep us posted if you need anything. I'll lead the march to get necessary supplies over there to you -- just say the word.

Thanks for the well wishes all.
CudaChick-if you've been through one you can appreciate what they're like better than most.Even me.
I've been through a few smaller ones but nothing like this.
We were 125 miles away from the eye and it was still a high Cat 2/low Cat 3 here.
The storm passed through Cloncurry 500 miles inland last night and it was still a Cat 1 way out there!!!
The eye passed through a small town called Tully and we're getting very little media coverage.Not sure why but there's been a media ban on choppers flying over the affected area.
Have got some info from other Aussie Chrysler sites who have friends and family in the Tully area.
There is no communications there but locals can get text messages out.I'm told all structures that remain are damaged.

And now on a lighter note (or not,depending on how you look at it)
....a candidate for the Darwin awards.
There has been a cyclone death.(this is true)
A 23yo blokes power goes out so he fires up his generator.
IN THE FRIGGIN' CLOSED UP HOUSE and inadvertantly gasses himself!!!!

EDIT: and the offer is appreciated but help and supplies aren't really necessary.We're a pretty resilient mob over here and I'm better set up to be self sufficient than most.
Once again, thanks for the offer and it's great to know that offers come from overseas.

On a lighter note,here's how I protected the shed that's home to my precious cars.

2myoqjb.jpg

That is one HELL of a way to keep those Mopars safe . Kudos on the Aussie ingenuety . BTW , I was in the Perth / Freemantle area back in the Eighties , along with Tasmania , and I decided if I ever get sick enough of this country to leave it , I'm coming back there . I absolutely ADORE your beautiful country ! Its AWESOME !!!

Perfect example of natural selection:

And now on a lighter note (or not,depending on how you look at it)
....a candidate for the Darwin awards.
There has been a cyclone death.(this is true)
A 23yo blokes power goes out so he fires up his generator.
IN THE FRIGGIN' CLOSED UP HOUSE and inadvertantly gasses himself!!!!

Only the strong survive

-
Back