Worst Repair Ever!

-

DartDave73

Reaction score
Well, I'm about to cut out the drip tray, all the way into the inside, removing all the rusty, broken, bent and pretty much destroyed roof frame structure to replace it with another that I have already disassembled (2-300 spot welds drilled out), sandblasted, and straightened.

I have to ask. Am I the only one that goes to this length to have a rust free, not broken and straight and proper car? What have you done to your car that just seems monumental and obnoxious in scope? I'd like to feel better about this, and would like to hear what you have gone through.

Are you saying you replaced your drip rails above your window on your doors because they were rotted...if so that's a common problem with some hidden under stainless trim...pitted moist rotted steel....

I’m on hold on a car because it needs a roof skin. I’m dreading drilling the million spot welds to do it. But I won’t build the car half assed. I know how you feel.

I transplanted the complete rear sheet metal/trunk section from a 4 door onto a rusted out 2 dr. from wheel archs back, sleeved frame, you'd never know .

OH, it's rusted out all right. Most of the passenger side was gone. It filled the door pillar area up with rust (had to rebuild and repair that too).

It took me a good week to drill out the bazillion spot welds to take the frame off the donor roof. I got 2 other donor pillars that weren't pitted to death that have to be fitted in.

Not to mention disassembling the entire trunk floor and rebuilding it. New trunk extensions. I have a set of rear quarter (from tail panel to door jam) that I have to piece in. Then there's the tail piece that is in 3 pieces. I've disassembled and rebuilt the frame rails. Replaced the floor. Installed a stronger radiator core support. Torque boxes. Have to weld on new sections on the front fenders. Hood and trunk lid both need to be disassembled, sandblasted, and reassembled.

I've probably missed something. It's insane. Thank you for this place and allowing me to vent. Contemplating a can of gas and a match some days. Heh.

What...

apr52016smf.jpg

@DartDave73, I have a few things to say:
1. I love your Avatar. I hope that is not just a selfie.
2. I think a lot of us do go to that extent on rust repair. It's a labor of love, and half assing it is not an option.
3. I have been tempted to take some gas and a match to almost every car I have ever restored at one time.
4. I always go by the 25% rule on rust. What you see is only about 25% of how much rust there really is.

@DartDave73, I have a few things to say:
1. I love your Avatar. I hope that is not just a selfie.
2. I think a lot of us do go to that extent on rust repair. It's a labor of love, and half assing it is not an option.
3. I have been tempted to take some gas and a match to almost every car I have ever restored at one time.
4. I always go by the 25% rule on rust. What you see is only about 25% of how much rust there really is.
1. Thanks! No, that's not a pic of me. I'm much more ugly.
2. I don't half-*** anything. I have a tendency to do more and create more work.
3. I hear 91 octane is most efficient.
4. I agree. Rust drives me crazy. I take apart everything. See pic below. I just did the roof and the fender/pillar today.

Ive been through reskinning a roof on a 71 Charger once. Was years ago though maybe 2006 ish...

Got a question for anyone who may know. On the rear wheel wells, what is the proper angle of the fold in from the fender to the wheel well? The person that had this before me rolled the edge. Is is straight in or at an angle? Any pics would be appreciated.

You have to really LOVE a car to go this far to save it.
I am not criticizing you for the dedication, I can see why sone people would go this far.
Sometimes it snowballs… you have X amount of time and money in it so far but you keep finding more areas that need attention.

I am not criticizing you for the dedication, I can see why sone people would go this far.
Sometimes it snowballs… you have X amount of time and money in it so far but you keep finding more areas that need attention.

Truth. Opening a new can of worms is the phrase that comes to mind. Luckily the rear fenders and the roof is the last places for me to discover. I've run out of car to find anything else. Even the inside of frames were opened up and cleaned. Heck, I had to straighten and rebuild the front crossmember (where the torsion bars go) because it was all messed up. I had to build a jig to hold it straight while welding it to keep it from warping and twisting.

I honestly believe anyone going through all the work needed will pretty much know everything about the car on how it's assembled. Like it or not. :D

Very good work CFD244...Holy ****....nice attention to detail....you make me wanna step my game up....I haven't seen many Canadian people that don't do it 100% right!! Seems like you definitely have a nack for it!! Pure Passion!! Wish you were closer!!!

This has to be one of the best threads on here. It's raw and real with pics to back it up (pics or it never happened...). BRAVO to y'all. I hear from a lot of people 'when are you gonna have that car done?' Like I'm a full time pro shop with 6 employees and others to outsource to. I'm about to cut the quarters out so I can get the car blasted, and then move another step forward.

-
Back