Worth Saving?

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Pulled the leaking oilpan from my 340. It appears to be a high capacity pan (can't find any identifcation numbers) and holds about 7 +/- qts. One of the PO's pancaked it and welded the damage, there was still a leak which is why I am replacing it. Going with a stock pan for a bit more clearance (2 inches worth), but am wonder if it is worth reparing/saving for future use?

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Pat

IMG_4561.jpg

IMG_4566.jpg

IMG_4564.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

I seen guys weld new bottoms on em,...Ya might wanna keep it for use in a pinch...

good thing you are replacing it. that sure is ugly Pat LOL. if it were mine, it would probably find a little space to occupy in my parts shed, even though i wouldnt ever use it again.

I'd keep it, if it were me.

I seen guys weld new bottoms on em,...Ya might wanna keep it for use in a pinch...

good thing you are replacing it. that sure is ugly Pat LOL. if it were mine, it would probably find a little space to occupy in my parts shed, even though i wouldnt ever use it again.

Thanks for the input everyone. Ya, it's Fu ugly! Think I'll take the advice hang onto it, at least I know it clears the linkage, starter etc on my combo. Think I found the leak, so I'll see if I can't weld it, clean up the old welds and park it on a shelf in the garage.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend fellas.
Pat

Yes, the (HOW TO BUILD A SMALL BLOCK) book tells you to add two inches of pan to get a 8 quart pan, the cheap way. looks as though the PO just added a whole new bottom section.

I just did what the book said to see if i could do it and installed it on my 340 for a years worth of racing. Next year i'll go to a Miloden pan.

-
Back