Would I be ahead in parting out, or selling whole?

-

65_valiant

Reaction score
I bought a 2000 Durango 4X4 5.9 a few weeks ago with plans of pulling the engine and pcm/harness to swap into my '65.
Well things have changed and I have decided to go an alternate route with the engine situation.

The engine is currently in the durango, that runs great and drives great, just no reverse, needs trans rebuilt/replaced.

Would I have be ahead in pulling the motor and selling it, along with ALL the engine and pcm harness, along with whatever else would need to go with it and then selling a few parts for nickle dime ( transfer case and maybe trans if someone needed a core or just wanted one to play with??) and then scrapping the body out.

the interior of it is in great shape, along with having 3rd row and rear air, the body has minor hail dmg and a few other dents/dings/scratches to be expected on a 14-15 year old vehicle.

Just looking for oppinions, even offers i guess, on what would be easiest to do.

I don't know. I think it depends on how much work your really want to go to, and how much time you have not only to tear it down, but to diddle and piddle with the scammers, tire kickers, and other time wasters on Craigslist. You could have "the remains" for 2-3 years easily before finally ?? hauling?? the rest off somewhere.

I figure i can pull the motor/trans/transfer case in an afternoon easily. the rest i thought of making it a pick and pull type deal? I gave $1000 for it, i was hoping to at least come really close to break even selling the drivetrain for close to that and make up the difference with the rest.

What would the motor itself with harness and pcm be worth would you think?

I have a 2000 Durango, 5.9, 4x4 in good shape with 125K miles. The biggest problem with these is gas mileage. Mine weighs 5,245 lbs. and gets 12 mpg with a tail wind going downm hill. On a good day I can get $2995 for it. If you put it out there for $1995 you are ahead. No one wants them up here in New England because of the poor mileage. Good luck

Why not advertise it for $1200 and take $1000?

I'd not pull the engine and expect to get anywhere near what an engine would bring that you can hear run and drive.

Rule of thumb is..."if you can't hear it run, assume it needs rebuilt".

There's been pulled 5.9's around here sitting on CL for months at $375.
I doubt that's complete with comp, though, but still.

$350 on a private party sale is about top price for that 5.9 around me. There are tons of them around since the transmission is the weak link.

Salvage prices in your area:
Walk in retail for that motor with 164K at Don Schmid Auto Salvage there in Wichita is $600.71.
G & R Motors in Wichita had one with 105K for $650.
Rocky Hill in Coffeyville has 7 in stock for $450.
Sandlian Iron & Metal has 4 for $450 and with mileage as low as 150K. That is just part of the list/

Salvage prices on the computer run between $65 and $125.

Transmissions are scarce and are bringing what the engines are. There is only 4 showing in the state of Kansas.

You always make more partin um out.

Well hell. Looks like this might be the first vehicle I have ever list money on.... oh yeah ell. Was bound to happen sooner or later!

List the engine for $400 or including PCM and harness for $550- can hear run and will help pull.

That's close to half your money.

Then pull the parts that will sell for more than scarp price while your "parting out" listing is running.

After you remove what's more valuable than scrap, scrap the hulk and get your $350.

Now you have almost all if not all of your money back and you have some parts left to sell.

There's a guy parting an R/T on CL, been sitting for months as well with nothing moving.

As much as I LOVE my 2000 R/T CC, I'm afraid this is pretty close to low water on values for these.

That's GREAT if you're looking for a 5.9 swap, manifolds, or Mag heads, but terrible if you've got them to sell.

I've also been seeing built running, driving R/T's with timeslips listed in the $4000-$6500 range.

-
Back