Would I have to alter this rear?

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
I scored an 8 3/4 off of craigslist today, going to pick it up next week. Guy says it came out of a late 60's roadrunner. says backing plate to backing plate is 51" or 51.5" (can't remember which) and it's got 2.98 suregrip. Not bad for $200... but my question to you knowledgeable folks... What will I have to do to install it? Just want to be prepared for what will happen. -Thanks!

An A-body housing is 52 5/8 end to end,no brakes.Add another 5 inches for 10x2 1/2 inch brakes.Hope this helps
Jack car up,put on stands,remove tires
Undo U-joint straps and drop the driveshaft(leave front in the tranny or could be messy.
You,ll have to undo your brake lines first(2)
Pull your drums off to disconnect your emrg. brake cables(2)1 each side
Slide a floor jack under the center of the rear and raise to take the weight load of the rear
Unbolt U-bolts
Then unbolt your rear spring hangers,lowering them for easy removal of the rear,with a friend helpsRoll the rear back and out.Done

Well anything is possible,just depends on how you want to go at it.It's a wider rear,spring perches should be reset,then you will need to get different wheels.Search 8 3/4 on here seems a lot of guys want to do this swap.

An A-body housing is 52 5/8 end to end,no brakes.Add another 5 inches for 10x2 1/2 inch brakes.Hope this helps
Jack car up,put on stands,remove tires
Undo U-joint straps and drop the driveshaft(leave front in the tranny or could be messy.
You,ll have to undo your brake lines first(2)
Pull your drums off to disconnect your emrg. brake cables(2)1 each side
Slide a floor jack under the center of the rear and raise to take the weight load of the rear
Unbolt U-bolts
Then unbolt your rear spring hangers,lowering them for easy removal of the rear,with a friend helpsRoll the rear back and out.Done

Thanks, yeah I was able to get my 7 1/4 rear out in about 2 hours time by myself, pretty much doing exactly what you said except I didnt have a 2nd person which would have made things a little easier but :p

If it's got axles in it, measure from wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface, that's the best way to figure out what you have. The backing plate measurement isn't going to be an accurate way to determine original use.

Is it a 5 on 4.5" or 4" bolt circle?

If it's got axles in it, measure from wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface, that's the best way to figure out what you have. The backing plate measurement isn't going to be an accurate way to determine original use.

Is it a 5 on 4.5" or 4" bolt circle?

He said standard chrysler and ford so i'm gonna say it's 4.5"

-
Back