Would It Be Normal - Engine Disassembly

-

JoJo

Reaction score
Went and picked up an engine Friday and started tearing it down yesterday. I left the short block standing up on the timing chain cover. It was slightly tilted due to the balancer and crankshaft bolt still attached. I went to take the flex-plate off and rotated the bottom end by accident...

Would it be normal for oil to bypass the rings if it has been sitting on its front overnight and turned the next day?

mm98va.jpg

I'd be more worried about the engine leaning on the balancer all night.

Thanks for both tips. I didn't even think about the balancer as I did it.

:violent1:

Balancer is only together by bonded rubber. turn that balancer and make sure there is no run-out on the outer ring. If your going to store a block, let it rest on the pan or an old tire. ring gap will weep oil every time. Slightly off topic but we had a old crankshaft that was stored on its side for like 20 years oout of a machine shop. The mains were greased and looked new once we cleaned them off. We lubed it and bolted her down and it wouldnt budge. We called the machine shop and the guy said, "try turning it again in a week". Sure enough after a week went by, we turned it by hand like it was on ball bearings. He told us that we should have placed it on the saddles untorqued for the first week for an OLD crank, who knew? You always store a crank on its flanged end or in a fixture that supports the mains, they will warp over a very long time. Ships turn their cranks once in a while to prevent this. Slounds model T to me, but I think that machinist learned to drive on a new one.....

...........crankshaft that was stored on its side......

If you put a crank or cam in V blocks on the ends, and an indicator in the middle, you can bend it quite a ways by just pressing down with your thumb.

-
Back