Would like to confirm I have what I think I have.

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
EDIT: I found that I have nothing special, now I need advice on what to do, see below!

Is this a 16:1 steering box? It is the steering box I got with my 73 dart sport. But IDK if its original or not. I am not too familiar with what was available and what not in 1973. I really dont care if its original to the car, I just want to know if I am correct in that it is the desirable ratio for power steering.
Also, if it is 16:1, what is there that I can do to make sure that it has the "Firm Feel" springs or whatever it is that I would do to maximize handling? The car is going to be a strong street runner, not a daily driver, and not a distance driver.
As soon as I open a new image hosting site to replace photobucket I will post some pictures of the idler and pitman arm I have.

Here is the video of me turning the chuck. Dont worry, the splines werent damaged with the pipe wrench!

Last edited:
IIRC 16:1 should be about 3 & 1/2 turns lock to lock and IIRC all PS box were 16:1. Manual boxes were usually 24:1, sometimes 20:1 and rarely 16:1

I was under the impression ALL Mopar power steering boxes were the same, 16:1. Of those years.

If that is the case, whats up with these "firm feel" boxes? I dont understand what makes those power steering boxes from firm feel so great? I mean, all I ever read is "that steering box I got from firm feel is the best thing I bought for my mopar!@!". So what is so great about them? Am I just reading about manual boxes and didnt realize it?

And since I have a 16:1 ratio, what can I do to improve steering feel? Is the stock 16:1 power steering box the kind that makes the car have no steering feel at all? I just want to get the best I can afford till the time comes when I can buy the high dollar stuff right now.

The thing is, I am doing the cheap stuff on the front suspension since I need to get the car running. I got the offset upper bushings and lower bushings. The car already has big bolt pattern disc brakes, although I am gonna probably at least get new calipers and rotors. I am going to size up my calipers and master cylinder for the best brake response. In other words, 200 dollars in front end parts to make the car much safer is fine, but a 350 dollar steering box is out if the one I have is good. I can spring for a decent used manual box, but I really would have to max out my budget at 150 shipped for that. And that isnt going to happen in the near future. Still need radiator, pulleys, Power steering pump if I keep the box above. New motor mounts. I got an engine and tranny waiting for this K member though.

Any Ideas?

If that is the case, whats up with these "firm feel" boxes? I dont understand what makes those power steering boxes from firm feel so great? I mean, all I ever read is "that steering box I got from firm feel is the best thing I bought for my mopar!@!". So what is so great about them? Am I just reading about manual boxes and didnt realize it?

And since I have a 16:1 ratio, what can I do to improve steering feel? Is the stock 16:1 power steering box the kind that makes the car have no steering feel at all? I just want to get the best I can afford till the time comes when I can buy the high dollar stuff right now.
Any Ideas?

So you want to improve steering feel. The OEM 16:1 PS boxes do great on lock to lock but road feel - Ha! There is virtually no road feel! The cop car PS boxes weren't much better! Firm Feel or Steer and Gear will rebuild your lousy road feel power box to give you that modern car feel - that's why people say it's the best thing they bought for their Mopar! They have 3 stages of rebuild - basically just a stock rebuild which still gives you that lousy road feel. Then there's Stage II which is much better but still not as good as a modern box (and doesn't cost as much as the next stage) - Stage III - now we're talking about making a vintage Mopar feel like a modern car. Add a beefy sway bar and good brakes - well, you get the picture!

I believe we have two different issues........ratio, and overboost. There is one thing about overboost. Look up an article "pump it down" tells how to restrict pressure on Mopar pumps

I believe we have two different issues........ratio, and overboost. There is one thing about overboost. Look up an article "pump it down" tells how to restrict pressure on Mopar pumps

That's exactly right! Thank you fellows for clearing that up for me. I believe what I am going to do is get a decent ps pump package for now, and when funds permit install the stage 3 ff box. It's not incredibly expensive compared to other options. Again, thanks for all the help.

-
Back