Would like to get my 66 Cuda's MPG high to drive Nor Ca to So cal

-

'CudaChick

Reaction score
hi I'd like to be able to drive my 1966 Barracuda, 225 slant six auto 3 speed to Los Angeeles, 9 hours south from where I live, either once a week or once every two weeks... I had a 1966 Dodge D100 that made it down and back with the same engine, but manual, in 8 hours each way. Is this possible, can I make it be able to, with good gas mileage on the cheap side, or it this asking a lot? Too much of a long haul? It's got 13 in wheels, a one barrel Holley Carb, and an in accurate gas sending unit hehe

Of course, the cheaper the better. Any info, advice or cheap parts for sale, I'd be interested in! Please private messages me, would be more simple for me. Thank you!

Hayley, Cuda chick

image.jpeg

What do you consider "good" young lady? What does it get now on the road?

In my book, anything over 20 in a slant. You need it to run up to temperature (not too cold) and of course how much "stuff" and trailer? are you hauling with you?

What do you consider "good" young lady? What does it get now on the road?

In my book, anything over 20 in a slant. You need it to run up to temperature (not too cold) and of course how much "stuff" and trailer? are you hauling with you?
Just myself, and a little dog. No trailer or stuff.

what is your gear ratio right now?
the lower numerical gears you can get in there, the bestester your fuel mileage will be

but (and dont take offence of this) a good tune up on the engine will be cheaper, easier, and depending on how bad you need it, will yield the best results

Taller gear probably best suggestion. A simpler way would be taller tires (and easier to switch back too).
Tall skinny 15s like the old Triumph TR6 used to run, something like that.
Going slower helps - at 60mph you get at least 10% better MPG vs 70mph. As engines get smaller this becomes true even more.
Best carb I know for MPG is the Holley/Weber 5200, was used on 1970s Pintos and other stuff. Progressive 2bbl, tiny little primary, adjustable air bleeds, I used to swap air bleeds up in the mountains so car ran great, all the way up Mt Evans, 14200 ft altitude. Lots of 6cyl folks use this carb, swaps on with an adapter.

Will the gas savings be worth it? Depends, 1200 mi round trip is 60 gals at 20mpg, you might save 10 gals or maybe $30/trip. Tires cost a fortune now that we have 2% inflation, about the only thing free is changing jets or timing.

I do find that car weight means almost nothing on the freeway (in the city it means a LOT) so I would not worry about putting your dog on a diet or leaving his favorite water bowl at home, etc.

I dove my 67 slant six to LA and back for Spring Fling. Drove down on 1 in the rain and back on 5 in the heat. Got 20mpg at reasonable speeds (under 70), and a little less at 80+. Drove it to Oregon two weeks ago, no problem averaging 20mpg, but the 1qt/100 mile oil consumption kind of killed the economic equation. New motor is the next project.

I would park the '66 and buy a new, modern front wheel drive 4 banger and enjoy the ride.

Featherduster did it with a lean carb, modded advance and some weight savings. also an O/D trans and a tall rear end. Look into a 2.50 rear out of a Cordoba. But smaller jets will help.

I just did a 1300 mile anniversary road trip in my duster a few weeks ago.
Average mileage at about 72-74 mph was about 16.4 mpg. Empty mountain backroads at 55-60 mph I averaged up to 17.5 mpg.

The worst mileage I got was about 14.67 mpg going from about 5000 feet above sea level to over 12000 ft being stuck behind tourist traffic that would sometimes make sudden idiotic stops. Also the temps dropped to about 45 degrees at the Sundance peak on I-34.
I have a 360 V8 with an automatic (no O/D), 255/60R15 (27 in.) tires and 3.21 gears. So I'll imagine you can do quite a bit better with that Slant 6.

Last edited:
-
Back