Would the 4.7 liter from my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee fit in an A body?

-

Me 3. At nearly 100,000 miles mine still runs great and figuring it's a heavy truck with the aerodynamics of a brick it gets pretty fair fuel mileage (17 in town, 21 hwy). That's a lot better mileage than my 93 5.2 Dakota got. My 4.7 has no problem at all lighting up the tires at a 20 mph punch and barks second gear. I've pulled a car hauler with a big Pontiac on it and it pulled good.

Back to the subject, would I put it in an A-body, absolutely not. Just as much work as putting in a gen 3 Hemi and you'd have far less power.

A 5.2 Magnum wouldda kicked its ***.
The 4.7s are alright. Fuel mileage? It'd actually probably be decent in a car, provided you didn't mind having to adapt heavily for the oil pan. Of course, a Magnum would probably be very close to it.

Its real problem is that they took a page from the beginning of Ford's notebook and burned the rest. They redesigned the motor, kept a select handful of things the same, most of the vehicles were re-optioned to compensate (Jeeps enjoyed this, many Daks/Rangos were SOL in that department), but Chrysler never really progressed the design. For the little things they are the 4.6s and 5.4s along with their successors are very good in cars and light trucks. (though the V10 is awful compared to Dodge's)

The old transmissions will hook up to a 4.7 the same as a Hemi- the flexplate's different. (I think that's it- besides the asymmetric/symmetric issue Magnum/pre-Mag transmissions)

I think the limit to what would you swap a 4.7 in goes down to- is it cheap, is it better than what I've got by a longshot, and will I have to change the oil pan? For an old truck, it qualifies- but for a car, no.

they really aren't a bad engine but they do have their draw-backs. piston design is one of them. the top ring is too high on the piston. The bottom end of the engine is a strong design. No aftermarket support . [the big issue]

A friend of mine had a couple of Durango's with 4.7s and both had issues with the aluminum heads and he couldn't find usable replacements except new bare heads from the dealer that cost more than the Durango was worth.Needless to say,neither of them got fixed.
No brainer that I'd take a Magnum 5.2 or 5.9 over one of those turds.

-
Back