Wow. Have you noticed the HUGE amount of stuff for sale here lately?

-
FB marketplace has been awesome for me as a seller and a buyer….there are always good deals near me! I have 152 current listings for parts for sale on Marketplace, but I only sell locally and won’t ship through FB, and it’s usually bigger stuff. I’ve had people come from ND, SD, IA, WI, IL and NE to Minnesota for parts! I’ve made lots of friends dealing in person and I love it! I do sell a lot on eBay but that’s mostly smaller stuff that easier to ship. I really need to start selling here on FABO again….I have so many parts it’s crazy.

But I do love marketplace for local stuff, it works so nice….and good deals are common….like this, picked it up last week for $150 and it was a beautiful evening for a drive, only 45 mins away :)

507A1E47-EE5C-4C47-A4E8-3B0E795C34F6.jpeg

797A95CF-5D60-4E40-94F1-1003C4B6D06A.jpeg

What specifically do you all mean by "scammers" ?
I've seen and dismissed the "Is the item still available" texts.
I never fell for the BS where the part is $100 and the guy wants to send a check for $150 and I'm supposed to send the part and the $50 difference.
What other scams are being pushed?

Fake names, fake pages, people are stealing photos, lots of photos are being stolen from FABO and posted on Facebook for sale. You start looking into somebody’s profile it’s easy to see if it’s real or fake if you know what to look for. These scammers all have scammer friends and it’s a big web of scumbags, most of the time they’re from other countries and don’t even know jack squat about cars, and it shows when they try to type a listing. scammers pray on Parts wanted ads. Also, nobody should ever post those on Facebook, they come flying in like moths to a light bulb! And a scammer always has your part, no matter what it is, they will tell you they have it, and they will ship it anywhere! People need to stay away from the public pages, they seem to have the most scam activity. I some people were upset when groups were made, private, but you have to be let in to join those, which weeds out a lot of spammers and scammers. They had to get more creative with their fake profiles, and if the moderators don’t do a good job they get through. I’m a moderator in a few groups And every day there’s people that need to be blocked from joining

The parts wanted scams, I've heard of those.
The scumbag sees your ad and claims to know a buddy that has it but THEN what? Is the seller expected to PayPal money that is lost forever?
What else? Seriously....knowing the scams can help people avoid falling for them.

They don’t usually want paypal now unless it’s friends and family. Don’t get me wrong friends and family is still really good….if you can trust the person you’re sending it to. Most scammers want Zellle, Venmo or other forms. Many scammers will also say they are willing to meet up in person, but they want you to put a deposit down to hold the item, you can guess how that works out in the end. They also offer stuff for free but you pay the shipping, that one is the same way lol!

I have so much stuff that I should list for sale that it isn’t funny. Getting shipping quotes is a pain for me and the fact that sooner or later our PayPal and payment apps are going to penalize us with a 1099. Not sure when but it’s coming.
I am not sure how that is going to work for people who aren't resellers and just an individual trying to get rid of some junk in their storage.

The parts wanted scams, I've heard of those.
The scumbag sees your ad and claims to know a buddy that has it but THEN what? Is the seller expected to PayPal money that is lost forever?
What else? Seriously....knowing the scams can help people avoid falling for them.
I will never do F&F; I will add enough to cover the fee's unless I know and trust the person, I want that protection.

I am not sure how that is going to work for people who aren't resellers and just an individual trying to get rid of some junk in their storage.

I can tell you how it’s going to work. If you make over 600.00 and are paid goods and services you will pay taxes on the amount over that. Buy a carb for 1000.00 and two years later sell it for 700.00 you will get a 1099 because the government thinks you are making money

I can tell you how it’s going to work. If you make over 600.00 and are paid goods and services you will pay taxes on the amount over that. Buy a carb for 1000.00 and two years later sell it for 700.00 you will get a 1099 because the government thinks you are making money
In that instance, you can report that $700 as a "personal item sold at a loss" which zeros out the $700 from the 1099K. Voila, no taxes owed.

Here is what they do when you post you are looking for something….I was on FB for less then 5 mins and I seen this in one of the early a-body group on a post, scammer posts a link to a page that’s a scammer page saying they have the part…don’t fall for it.

CD18EA53-F0C4-438B-A837-E93ABFE51EEB.jpeg

In that instance, you can report that $700 as a "personal item sold at a loss" which zeros out the $700 from the 1099K. Voila, no taxes owed.

Lol and you better keep receipts for everything you buy or sell. I claim racing as a business and have probably 8 forms already that are duplicated and mailed in

the latest wave of scams seem to be the effect of: hey i saw you were looking for [blank], i just bought one of those off [insert known member/person here], then they have a pic they ripped from a forum or an ebay/CL sale and offer you some really good deal.

there's another version of the same play with a whole "my friend" bought [blank] from [known member/person] here's their contact info and again some ripped pic from somewhere.

one way you can suss this out is to ask for an additional picture from a different angle.

another quick trick is google the email, if you're lucky you'll get a hit and can ghost them and block email/number.

be suspect of emails that are odd hosts you've never heard of or are very generic name/number sequences. like "sscott2442@gmail" is more sus than "jsmith1959@yahoo"

if you don't know them, paypal standard and if they won't cover the fees, do so yourself and consider it a small price to pay for insurance if the deal goes sideways. don't venmo or zelle if you don't know the person. if they want a check, send a USPS money order and if they jeep on you that's mail fraud.

if the deal seems too good to be true, it likely is. walk away, there will be another.

This seems to be a great time to buy if you're looking. I have seen (what seems to me) a FAR MORE THAN USUAL amount of sale ads in the lists under "New Posts".
I don't recall seeing that many ads since White Punk On Nitro was around.
No.

Well, who knows. I'm over at FBBO more often and there are nowhere near as many sales ads there. I could be wrong.
That has happened before.

Well, who knows. I'm over at FBBO more often and there are nowhere near as many sales ads there. I could be wrong.
That has happened before.
it's because all the b-body guys are hoarding the parts like gold bricks, thinking that they're gonna cash out their "retirement plans" one day and live the highlife.

I have noticed a huge amount of stuff for sale everywhere. I have also noticed that due to the prior statement, stuff does not sell too fast. Related again to the prior statement, stuff can be bought cheap. Just picked up an A518 and 241D combo with shafts for $300. Been for sale for weeks. The market seems to be a buyers to me.
At the big WPC swap meet this past weekend, stuff was flying off the tables at an incredible rate. Stuff I never thought would sell was being snapped up like crazy. And stuff I thought would sell…..well, it sold! If stuff is not selling in online posts, it would undoubtably be because shipping is way up. My opinion and personal experience anyway.

it's because all the b-body guys are hoarding the parts like gold bricks, thinking that they're gonna cash out their "retirement plans" one day and live the highlife.
I sold almost every B body part I took to the WPC swap meet this past weekend, and the 2 hoods that didn’t sell there…..one was picked up yesterday, and another is leaving for a new home on Saturday! Not everybody is hoarding their stuff, and not all B body stuff is priced out of range, at least not at my spots. That’s why I’m known as “cheap parts guy”!

Personally, I have too much stuff. I am constantly going through stuff and pitching it, giving it away for free, selling it, or repackage it and continue to hoard it, some of this stuff is too cool! I quit selling on eBay when they wanted my tax ID number. I have a UPS account and a USPS account and never make a dime on shipping, including time or materials. I am retired, so in between doing what I want, I'm trying to thin the herd to just what fits what I have for cars.

Man, you don't know how strange this sounds to us Canucks. Is i really that rough down there?
Depends on where you are down here. Houston is bad and has been for years but is getting worse ever since Hurricane Ketrina when all the scum from 'Nawlands' came here. I lived in Houston for 11 years until I got tired of the flooding and the BS and move out in 84 to where I am now which neighbors Houston but live on the far side of that new town. Houston back in the 70's and early 80's had a response time of 45 minutes for police but where I am now, it's 10 minutes or less and usually less. Been here 40 years now this April and so far so good but I still 'carry' everywhere I go and sometimes even on my own property. Better to be ready than not.
nah, nah. if i didn't meet you at a show, thru a friend or thru the board, i'll meet you at the starbux parking lot.

I quit meeting people years ago unless it involved jewelry and I don't mess with that anymore. When I was still married to my X, if we have a nice ring or something for sale, we met at our credit union.
Yes, it’s getting real bad for both sellers and buyers on FB….scammers popping up everywhere! Rob and I belong to a MoPar scammer feedback page and everyday there are posts showing scammers and who to watch out for. Also a great place to educate yourselves…too many good honest people getting scammed by scumbags in Cameroon!! Most of the scammers are on the group pages, don’t really see much on local FB marketplace though.
Can you post up the link to the feedback page? Never hurts to know the latest scams that's happening.
What specifically do you all mean by "scammers" ?
I've seen and dismissed the "Is the item still available" texts.
I never fell for the BS where the part is $100 and the guy wants to send a check for $150 and I'm supposed to send the part and the $50 difference.
What other scams are being pushed?
The 'is the item still for available' is a system generated response on FB. It doesn't mean a scammer is asking or someone who is on the up and up.
If you have something for sale and a reseller responds to your ad, they usually offer you 1/2 or less of your asking price.
At the big WPC swap meet this past weekend, stuff was flying off the tables at an incredible rate. Stuff I never thought would sell was being snapped up like crazy. And stuff I thought would sell…..well, it sold! If stuff is not selling in online posts, it would undoubtably be because shipping is way up. My opinion and personal experience anyway.
There were times when stuff flew off of my tables at swap meets and times when hardly anything moved and that was happening in the 90's and early 2000 but I usually didn't venture all that far from the Houston area back then. Couldn't see loading up and driving more than 100 miles on way for a parts swap meet and being down south, going north was just too far and not cost effective.

Getting bad up here, don't kid yourself. 3 guys kicked in a guys door yesterday in the GTA, pointed a gun at him and took the keys for his Porsche 992 and a Volvo. Cops got the 992 back last night, volvo still awol. Why I'm glad #1 Son talked me into cameras from the concession road to our houses. I have lots of time to lock and load and plug in the backhoe!

Getting bad up here, don't kid yourself. 3 guys kicked in a guys door yesterday in the GTA, pointed a gun at him and took the keys for his Porsche 992 and a Volvo. Cops got the 992 back last night, volvo still awol. Why I'm glad #1 Son talked me into cameras from the concession road to our houses. I have lots of time to lock and load and plug in the backhoe!
I hate to be the one to say it but sometimes the scrap pile is easier than dealing with people.

I don't like junking good stuff but more often than not, the bullshit exceeds the greed and I have used the scrap pile to clean out. The scrap company won't try to lowball you, won't hit on you, won't try to rob you, won't try to check out your other stuff that is not for sale, or anything else that is just a waste of time. you get your weight ticket and go to the kiosk and get your soda money and drive away with a load off.

I don't know what kind of deals people got with whitepunkonnitro, Tony. I have seen a lot of snide comments against him but I can say those were good buying days for me.

He always shot it straight with me and the items were all exactly what I expected and I feel he was very fair. He replaced an item that got damaged in shipping one time, the only time I ever had an issue and it wasn't even his fault.

Not trying to seem like I have a crush on him, just giving credit where its due, at least I feel that way.

I hate to be the one to say it but sometimes the scrap pile is easier than dealing with people.

I don't like junking good stuff but more often than not, the bullshit exceeds the greed and I have used the scrap pile to clean out. The scrap company won't try to lowball you, won't hit on you, won't try to rob you, won't try to check out your other stuff that is not for sale, or anything else that is just a waste of time. you get your weight ticket and go to the kiosk and get your soda money and drive away with a load off.

Yes, I’m the same way, I hate to scrap good stuff but when you get too much and you need to make room, sometimes it has to go for scrap. I saved a real nice roof from a 1963 Valiant 2 door hardtop up parted, great shape, 1-year only roof….had it for sale for quite awhile now and not a single person interested…probably go to scrap next time i clean house. I’ve given some stuff away for free also if people can use it, these parts are only getting harder and harder to find…can only keep so much stuff lol

I have had an idea lately to gather up all the stuff post final shakedown (probably in a year) and send it to one of the sellers (no-one in particular) on the forum. I know there is a fairly good attempt to recycle the stuff that way. I might even get a credit out of the deal.

-
Back