Wrapped headers....or Unwrapped

-
Since yours are wrapped already, kinda a moot point. I personally don't care for it, although i did do a partial on some driver side fenderwells to keep heat away from the master cyl/brake lines.

I did wrap some factory headers a few years ago in a ford ranger. It helped with the engine temps, but the cast exhaust manifold cracked after a while. I have read that wrap also voids header warranties. Mine never came apart or aything like that but it was a good brand, I believe it was DEI

I have seen an alternative that teoretically does not void header warranties, which is a heat shield you can place on top of the headers but since it does no wrap them completely it will not void the headers warranty. I may try that in the barracuda. As the engine compartment gets pretty hot even whith ceramic coated headers. thankfully I have a real cold air intake setup wit a sealed hood scoop

20220529_172959.jpg

Keep in mind any ceramic coating applied by the manufacturer or an independent shop has a warranty.

That warranty is AUTOMATICALLY VOIDED by applying header wrap.

I only used it to keep under hood temps down. The only thing I noticed was it got rid of that particular tone/sound headers give your exhaust

Used to be a real fad with experimental aircraft. I lost count of how many I had through the hangar where there was no pipe left inside the wrap !

I took a few thermal pics today from my engine and underbody with the engine running.

So you can see what the hot areas are.

I think that when Inpaint it i'll add some insulation in the firewall lower portion, and then of top of the exhaust at least whats under the cabin

Interesting for to see was the intake manifold, it gets really hot!

I have my oil filter and fuel lines all protected already, thats why they look cool in the thermal images

FLIR_20240121_034416_312.jpg

FLIR_20240121_034626_249.jpg

FLIR_20240121_034458_611.jpg

FLIR_20240121_034449_943.jpg

FLIR_20240121_034331_569.jpg

FLIR_20240121_033847_584.jpg

FLIR_20240121_020113_404.jpg

FLIR_20240121_020140_255.jpg

FLIR_20240121_020130_759.jpg

FLIR_20240121_034458_611.jpg

The heat retention idea is why stainless steel is the best metal for headers. Yes it's true.

I've read for years wrapped headers rust out faster. And if you don't get the wrap tight then it's looking bad hanging off and not retaining the heat, which is why you wrapped them anyway.

mine are stainless and I didn’t have them coated or wrap them

I took a few thermal pics today from my engine and underbody with the engine running.

So you can see what the hot areas are.

I think that when Inpaint it i'll add some insulation in the firewall lower portion, and then of top of the exhaust at least whats under the cabin

Interesting for to see was the intake manifold, it gets really hot!

I have my oil filter and fuel lines all protected already, thats why they look cool in the thermal images

View attachment 1716195757

Why no bypass hose?

For the regular dude a coated header is all you need. My tti headers are in and out coated

Wrap is like rap. Header wrap causes rust. Rap caused societal decay....same thing different spelling lol

TTi Long tube, Internally Thermal Lined and exterior Polished Ceramic Coated right out of the box.
Went that way for Lower under hood temps and they look really sweet. Wanted to run stock exhaust but none fit my application. 6.1 Hemi in a 69 Barracuda.
Expensive but should net some HP gains over the stock 6.1 factory tubular shorty header type encased exhaust.
I will also add some heat shielding to my steering box and starter motor. I have some heat shield material saved from one of my old diesel truck's exhaust... and the 6.1 had a factory shield for the starter already.
1706934010786.png

1706934163053.png

I am a big fan of the TTI inside/outside coating option. They produce much faster healing 3rd degree burns/cauterized skin.

There are times when you cannot get away from using some type of heat sleeve. I have experimented with several types from McMaster-Carr and also various racing oriented brands. My favorite products come from DEI. Fuel lines and spark plug wires live a much longer service life not getting cooked including the Aeroquip teflon lined Socketless hose we use for fuel and oil lines.

If we are faced with extreme budget constraints I get artistic with a few cans of VHT flat black and send it.

-
Back