Wrinkles in Legendary backseat back...**PICS**

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
I just had my new Legendary upholstery installed on my Dart's seat frames, but the rear seat back has wrinkles in the center that my installer can't get out. The wrinkles are in the center panel of the rear seat back. He's tried steaming the panel, but no go. Does anyone have a recommended method for removing these wrinkles?

Leave your car in the sun. The heat that builds in the car should help. It may take a few times in the sun. MMG

If you don't get on Legendary pretty quick you will live with it.

Sorry to hear. Dads are new on his cuda, and he put a towel down, put the iron on steam and they came out perfect! Be gentle and careful...is/was the foam good??

Hard telling without pictures just how/where the wrinkles are. but could it be due to a lack of padding in the specified area? or have the spring in the back worn out/been bent in some and not allowing it to push against the materiel to aid in taking the wrinkles out.

if all is well then I would have to say it is either a bad fitting piece that you might want to try contacting them about a replacement. OR wasn't installed perfectly. I would try a blow dryer and some stretching and see what that does for you maybe?.

Hey, thanks guys. All good suggestions. I have no pics as the installer wanted to keep the seats til next week to try and get the wrinkles out. I'll get some pics when I pick them up next week. The upholstery has been in the box for about a year on a shelf in my basement...just getting around to installing it now. Foam's all good, some replaced during the install.

Maybe I just have to give it a little time to adjust to being installed.

Here's a pic of someone else's Dart rear seat. The circled flat area is where the wrinkles are...

Attachments

• 1967%20Dodge%20Dart%20GT%20Convertible%20(19) (Medium).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 441
Why dont you contact Legendary and see what they say? Then if it doesnt work you can put the ball in their court.

who did it for you ? did you get new bolster foam with it ? if it doesn't work out I'll steer you to my guy , if he can't fix it he'll just make a new panel for it , assuming of course that your guy isn't the same guy ,but that doesn't sound likely .
PS does this mean your car is finally home ? I can't wait to see it I drove out to Francellis but it was dead , they say May 5 is the first one for the year and they will have the BBQ going .

I've seen a lot of cars on ebay with "new seat covers" stated in the description and wrinkles shown in their pictures so it is somewhat common.
If there's enough filler in there the skin will fit tight. It's supposed take some real labor to get the skin on. I had my son ( 180 lbs ) standing on a piece of 2X8 spaning the frame and compreesing the assembly while I hog ringed the skins on. No wrinkles. Experienced professional installers should know these things.

who did it for you ?

Styles Upholstery installed it.

did you get new bolster foam with it ?

They cut out the old, flaky stuff and replaced it with new foam

if it doesn't work out I'll steer you to my guy , if he can't fix it he'll just make a new panel for it , assuming of course that your guy isn't the same guy ,but that doesn't sound likely .
PS does this mean your car is finally home ? I can't wait to see it

Hopefully coming home soon. Just getting the seats ready for when it is home.
I drove out to Francellis but it was dead , they say May 5 is the first one for the year and they will have the BBQ going .

I heard Francelli's sold the BBQ setup to The Prairie Inn, because, since the Francelli's ownership changed, the new owner wasn't going to be allowed to do the BBQ anymore.

i just put new seat covers on my 67 dart all came out good except the back had wrinkles to, on the back rest part in the middle same as yours got them to from lengendary,im working on it but little results so far

Styles Upholstery installed it.

They cut out the old, flaky stuff and replaced it with new foam

if it doesn't work out I'll steer you to my guy , if he can't fix it he'll just make a new panel for it , assuming of course that your guy isn't the same guy ,but that doesn't sound likely .

Hopefully coming home soon. Just getting the seats ready for when it is home.

I heard Francelli's sold the BBQ setup to The Prairie Inn, because, since the Francelli's ownership changed, the new owner wasn't going to be allowed to do the BBQ anymore.
I heard the same thing last year about the bbq but the guys who "live" there year round said the bbq would be back may 5th for the official start of the season , heres hoping eh ! I'll have to dig my guys card out of storage ,he does luxury jets but since the economy tanked there hasn't been much work in that market so he's been doing cars again . I'm sure you probably know him his Nomad was the first local car to ever make it into one of the big mags back in the day ,Hot Rod magazine I think it was , he's over in Esquimalt and will work for cash , he did my headliner for like 60 bucks or something stupid cheap and I think my front buckets , the lower half of the back seat and he actually fabbed up new rigid backs for the buckets as well all for like 250 including refoaming them all and supplying the foam for the rear because I couldn't order it with the front bolsters . plus he fixed the real deep crease in my dash pad as well ,he's a great guy and real fair .

I heard the same thing last year about the bbq but the guys who "live" there year round said the bbq would be back may 5th for the official start of the season , heres hoping eh ! I'll have to dig my guys card out of storage ,he does luxury jets but since the economy tanked there hasn't been much work in that market so he's been doing cars again . I'm sure you probably know him his Nomad was the first local car to ever make it into one of the big mags back in the day ,Hot Rod magazine I think it was , he's over in Esquimalt and will work for cash , he did my headliner for like 60 bucks or something stupid cheap and I think my front buckets , the lower half of the back seat and he actually fabbed up new rigid backs for the buckets as well all for like 250 including refoaming them all and supplying the foam for the rear because I couldn't order it with the front bolsters . plus he fixed the real deep crease in my dash pad as well ,he's a great guy and real fair .

Sounds great Chris. Lemme know if you find his business card. I'm going to let Styles do what they can for now. I also emailed Legendary, and they want me to send pics of the affected areas, which I will do tommorrow.

Here's pics from the upholstery shop just today....Sent to legendary as well....

Attachments

• P4270194 (Medium).JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 331
  • P4270195 (Medium).JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 327
  • P4270196 (Medium).JPG
    57 KB · Views: 337
That does look pretty bad. To my untrained eye the installation looks good. Be interesting to find out if its a defect or installation problem.

Looks like a lack of seat foam material to me. I don't think this is a problem with the covers.

The looseness on the seat bottoms and back rests is a dead giveaway that new covers were installed over old buns.

No amount of heat will fix that problem.

About that vert seat back. the frame is curved. The upholstery should be curved only at the 2 end panels. The are where the human back meets it should be straight. Actually, it should look a lot like any other rear seat back only with curved extensiona on the ends. As it is right now the 2 rear passengers would be turned toward each other.
I have to ask.., Did you by chance remove the original seat covers before going to the installer ? A lot of people do that. They throw away rotten, mildewed batting and expect the installer to know what filler depth and shape is required in the different areas.

These seams marked are where the transition from raised and flat to curved should be.
Some skins have pockets for listing rods in areas like this to draw the skin and create shape.

Attachments

• vert seat back .jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 277
About that vert seat back. the frame is curved. The upholstery should be curved only at the 2 end panels. The are where the human back meets it should be straight. Actually, it should look a lot like any other rear seat back only with curved extensiona on the ends. As it is right now the 2 rear passengers would be turned toward each other.
I have to ask.., Did you by chance remove the original seat covers before going to the installer ? A lot of people do that. They throw away rotten, mildewed batting and expect the installer to know what filler depth and shape is required in the different areas.

These seams marked are where the transition from raised and flat to curved should be.
Some skins have pockets for listing rods in areas like this to dram the skin and create shape.
Great post, and to add if I may (how do ya like that wording?? :D ) make sure the back of the seat FRAME is not bent. If it isn't flat, the material will be too long to be installed tightly.

George
PS I think they look fine the way they are.

I am with RedFish on this as I have done a few sets of Mopar seats and to me it looks like the listing bars are not being used.

Chris, if you find that guy's card, give me his number too will ya? I have Legendary skins to put on my seats too, and after reading about how brutal it's going to be, it would be nice to have someone who actually knows what they're doing.

-
Back