wrong wheel cylinder

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Ok I just got my LF wheel cylinder ask for 69,it does not fit, my backing plate is the square opening what they sent is shape like a football shape.Whats up help.

Sounds like your backing plates are 1970-up. The football shape should be correct for a 1969 with 10" brakes.

Ok here is what i am working on,I just cant remember what I ordered 3 years back,one would of thought i would ask for 69 Wheel cyl,but clearly not so what year do i need 70 -71 -72 ? it has 10 in drums.You can see it looks oval with the cut so it would fit the square opening.

Attachments

• 130.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 279
  • 131.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 280
  • 132.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 281
  • 133.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 279
  • 134.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 283
It looks like 70-72 have a rectangular hole and the wheel cylinder has a 3/8"-24 inlet thread. In 73 they still had the rectangular hole but the thread changed to 1/2"-20.

Attachments

• WC37171-ANG-P01.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 228
I does not look like my cylinder, but that is what it looks like what i ordered,hope it fits.

If you look at my outer post you might get a clue.My 69 does not use 69 oval wheel cylinder,it looks like the 70 style backing plate so I ordered a 70 wheel cylinder now the problim my flex hose is to big:banghead:and the 70 cyl looks like it takes a steel line.I am sorry for looking daft, after this stroke and some 3 years ago i can not remember what i got.May be its time to pack it in .

The picture that jobrated52 posted all I can see is the bleeder fitting Snake, I would thing the brake line it's self will have the same size brake line supply hole/threads bro, if not (but I think it is the same) you can take your old wheel cylinder to a parts store and pick up an adapter for the new one, I wish I was near by..

I find it hard to believe with all the brainsssssssssssss here no one can figure this out,I may do a rebuilt on the said cylinder,to hope to buy some time and go back with 69 backing plate so this way the new owner it not have the same problim.

I am doing a 69 dart with the same issue I believe some came with the later backing plates 70 style you need small brake lines between wheel cylinder and brake hose that goes to a bracket.Call the brake line people in Columbus Ohio they have what you need.I can look tomorrow and give you the part numbers the name of the place slips my mind right now.

What i am trying to do is figured out is what cylinder i need,it never has that S shape steel befor.

How about posting a pic of the old one and see if that helps us to identify it for you. Be patient we'll get it figured out! Hopefully.

How about posting a pic of the old one and see if that helps us to identify it for you. Be patient we'll get it figured out! Hopefully.

Look at the top you can see it clearly,I have 70 backing plate when i orderd the 69 wheel cyl,witch I though i had its the oval shape,i need the the square one,so we ordered the 70 wheel cyl well it fits but my flex hose is to big to fit in the 70 wheel cyl my Q is there 2 different wheel cly, for v8 to /6 :banghead::banghead:

Look at the top you can see it clearly,I have 70 backing plate when i orderd the 69 wheel cyl,witch I though i had its the oval shape,i need the the square one,so we ordered the 70 wheel cyl well it fits but my flex hose is to big to fit in the 70 wheel cyl my Q is there 2 different wheel cly, for v8 to /6 :banghead::banghead:

Not on 10" brakes.

Snake, Good to see 'ya posting & working on your car :D

I've got some brake books on the counter now & I'm trying to help 'ya. Can you give me the Parts #'s of the cylinders you have ordered already, as well as the brand?

Also, what is the bore diameter of your old wheel cylinder. It should be marked on the end cups....

Snake, Good to see 'ya posting & working on your car :D

I've got some brake books on the counter now & I'm trying to help 'ya. Can you give me the Parts #'s of the cylinders you have ordered already, as well as the brand?

Also, what is the bore diameter of your old wheel cylinder. It should be marked on the end cups....

Thanks for the help,no cylinder sent them back,My org one they dont even have numbers no where,the bore diameter is 1/1/8,this is so frusting,my stroke does not help,i just cant figured out what i did back then,what the hell did i ordered.the org one i have looks oval but there is the step top and bottom.So it fits the square opening

Attachments

• 13620-007.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 168
Ok....

Raybestos Part # 37286 fits 73-76 with 10" brakes
1 1/8" bore
3/8 - 24 inlet size

Raybestos Part # 36050 fits 68-69 with 10" brakes
1 1/8" bore
7/16 - 20 inlet size

The illustration for the #36050 has the football shape like in your pics above.

Ok....

Raybestos Part # 37286 fits 73-76 with 10" brakes
1 1/8" bore
3/8 - 24 inlet size

Raybestos Part # 36050 fits 68-69 with 10" brakes
1 1/8" bore
7/16 - 20 inlet size

The illustration for the #36050 has the football shape like in your pics above.
so why does mine have 2 cuts that alow it to fit but the part # upbove does not.

The pics in my catalog are for reference & general appearance. They are not exact pics. Many manufacturers post somewhat generic pics...

It sure would help us all help you if you could find which cylinders you've already tried. Do you have a receipt or could you call the place where you purchased them?

The pics in my catalog are for reference & general appearance. They are not exact pics. Many manufacturers post somewhat generic pics...

It sure would help us all help you if you could find which cylinders you've already tried. Do you have a receipt or could you call the place where you purchased them?

the first one was wc 36050 that was the oval one it did not fit, the outer one i just ask for 70 dart it fit the square but the flex hose was to big .I really don't want to call them i think i pissed them off all ready.thanks for the help

well i found this pic that is the old one befor my rebuild,dam the # not the greatest.But worth a try.

Attachments

• 100_1758.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 171
-
Back