WTB SB Bellhousing

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's something I did on my 73 340 Roadrunner, and it worked out perfectly. I had the
OD Trans retainer turned down to the standard 833 size. This exposed the very bottom of the oil return hole at the bottom of the retainer. I added just a little spot of weld at this point, and then dressed it out clean. Then, I notched the inside of the bellhousing to clear all four retainer bolts (I used allen, so there was minimal notching) and also for the tab added for the drainback hole. It worked out perfectly with several thousand miles HARD use and zero issues. Now I can swap back and forth between the standard and OD trans in 30 minutes without ever touching the bell.

Do they not make a smaller bearing retainer to replace the one that is on the trans now?

Do they not make a smaller bearing retainer to replace the one that is on the trans now?

They do, but that only gets you down to 4.8" and most SB bell's have a 4.35" register. They do not make a 4.35" bearing retainer with the 4.16" bolt pattern that the OD trans has.

Ahhhhh, so your stuck with the bell or a maching trick

Ahhhhh, so your stuck with the bell or a maching trick

Pretty much. You can turn the 5.125" bearing retainer down to 4.8, and open a 4.35 bell up to 4.8 without causing too many issues, or buy the 4.8" retainer with the 4.16" bolt pattern and again open up the bell to 4.8", but either way to have to machine the bell.

Only way around some kind of machine work is to find a SB bell with a 4.8" register (good luck) or buy an OD bell. F-bodies at the junk yard is one way to find the OD bells, or some of the early model 1/2 ton trucks that had 833 OD's. But even those are getting hard to find at the yards.

I could use one myself, although I'm not going to be needing it in the immediate future so I'll probably just keep an eye out at swap meets until then.

Junk yards around here do not have old cars. You would be very very lucky to find a 10 year old vehicle in the there.

Junk yards around here do not have old cars. You would be very very lucky to find a 10 year old vehicle in the there.

Bummer. I just pulled the entire disk conversion off a '74 Dodge Dart Custom in one of the PickNPull yards. In the past I've also picked up FMJ spindles, a few late 60's C body 8 3/4's, a full fold down seat conversion for my Duster, and the entire front clip off of a '71 Dart. Granted that's over a few years, but they're not unheard of around here.

THat is getting harder and harder to find

Bummer. I just pulled the entire disk conversion off a '74 Dodge Dart Custom in one of the PickNPull yards. In the past I've also picked up FMJ spindles, a few late 60's C body 8 3/4's, a full fold down seat conversion for my Duster, and the entire front clip off of a '71 Dart. Granted that's over a few years, but they're not unheard of around here.

I have some none overdrive small block bells that could be used for boring out to get the space you need, one is a 1970 and the other is a 1973 aluminum

Attachments

• Photo143.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 74

Wow! That is awesome. Around here, there scrapping cars quick! Jealous I am! Luck you guys are that have these places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back