-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Montclaire

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Looking for an air cleaner for a slant six like the one below. This is the unsilenced style, which I think was used 67-72, and has the nipple for the oil breather line. I think it takes a 9 inch filter. Needing paint is fine but no rust or dings/dents. Don't need the base plate.
PM through the board
Thanks

5635860003_large.jpg

FYI, it is not an unsilenced air cleaner, and it was used on some but not all passenger car slant-6 applications from 1961 to 1969. The 1961-'63 covers have no crankcase breather nipple. The crankcase breather nipple first appeared in '64 on the California cars, then in '68 in the other 49 states and Canada. The '69 baseplates have a small nipple for the throttle plate anti-ice air inlet.

The same cover was used on the unsilenced 2bbl air cleaner on '65-'66 Barracudas, and (with chrome plating) on the 4bbl setup as well.

FYI, it is not an unsilenced air cleaner, and it was used on some but not all passenger car slant-6 applications from 1961 to 1969. The 1961-'63 covers have no crankcase breather nipple. The crankcase breather nipple first appeared in '64 on the California cars, then in '68 in the other 49 states and Canada. The '69 baseplates have a small nipple for the throttle plate anti-ice air inlet.

The same cover was used on the unsilenced 2bbl air cleaner on '65-'66 Barracudas, and (with chrome plating) on the 4bbl setup as well.
I guess that depends on your definition of "unsilenced". :) I have both the 9" and 11" diameter ones. The only ones I have with the PCV connection are the 11" which I have with or without the hose connection in the base.
Thanks, Mark

I guess that depends on your definition of "unsilenced".

No, the term really means only one thing. Neither the 9" nor the 11" slant-6 1bbl air cleaner is an unsilenced design. Both are designed to silence air intake noise. There was an unsilenced air cleaner used only in 1962, only on the 170 engine, but it didn't share any components with these we're talking about. You can make an unsilenced air cleaner by using the base and bail from the 9" air cleaner and the lid from the 11" unit. That's the setup I was too busy listening to the roar from when I got stopped by a traffic cop for the very first time -- a lot of years ago on my way to high school.

Since neither one has a lid that seals against the base (just like the 273-4 and 340, 383, etc) what is different about the design?

Ok, I think we're splitting hairs here but maybe we should say they're "similar" in design instead of the same. Looks like changing the height/diameter of the filter element might change your definition, but not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back