Wtf!!!!!!!

-

67valiant 100

go fast or go home
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Sorry about that but the daily drive is out of action :crybaby: I was driving home in my '91 Ranger and the front brakes seized :angry2: WTH!!!! So I'm suck on a 55mph major road going 20mph in the rain with the flashers on, heat on the max, with a**holes on the road, with the brakes almost literally on fire :sad1: I finally got a parking pass to my school so I can park there with out getting towed just yesterday and this happens :crybaby: WTF!!!!!!!! Any way does anyone know what could have caused this? It happened just out of the blue. It hasn't been on the road for the last 6 or so years but I did drive it around the property often for the whole time. Its been on the road running just fine for 2 weeks and 350 miles already. Anyway sorry about my rant but does anyone know what could have caused this :help: Thanks

Check to master cylinder for a small bit of dirt blocking the bleed hole in the reservoir. If its blocked it can't relieve the pressure when you let off the brakes.

Same thing happen to wife?s PT cruisre bad caliper
If its drum brakes could be broken spring

I have seen pads on drum brakes crack and bust a chunk of pad off and lock the drum in place.

or busted spring or other brake hardware.

if its disc I would check to see if you have a frozen slide.....they get rusty and then if you tap your brakes they freeze in place. (had a jeep once that the wheel locked up on because of this, took some sand paper to it and then greased it and it worked fine).

grime in the master cylinder or proportioning valve

rock slunk up in between pad and rotor

could be numerous things but it shouldn't be to hard to diagnose once you get a chance to look it over

just noticed you said front brake (S) ......so that would most likely rule out a few of my suggestions.

does it have ABS.....if so I would check to see if the ABS locked the front lines some how

first thing you do, open the bleeders, if fluid squirts out and the calibers release, then they are a ok. if not, calipers bad. then you're gonna have to up the line to check for restrictions. sometimes the dist. block gets dirt in it. or more commonly a cup in the master cylinder collapses and doesn't let the fluid flow back into the resivor. Did you add fluid recently or did a brake pad change?

everyones said everything that I coulda said. If the caliper is bad though, they are pretty easy and cheap to rebuild. 8) I hope you get this straightened out. no matter what though, its not a big expensive problem.

If this happened after you applied the brakes I would replace the rubber flex lines. They get old and swell up on the inside and do not release the brake fluid pressure. This happened on my chevy dollie.

If this happened after you applied the brakes I would replace the rubber flex lines. They get old and swell up on the inside and do not release the brake fluid pressure. This happened on my chevy dollie.

You beet me to it :blackeye:, The front brake lines could have leaked fluid in to the brake line liner and blows up like a balloon and holds pressure when he takes his foot off the brake.

Had this happen on my GMC beater. Changed the prop valve before I figured this out. (and I do this crap for a living).

Had that happen on my 71 El Camino in the early 80s. Rotor was glowing cherry red, and melting anything close to it. Put a rebuilt caliper on, problem solved.

Thanks everyone :) This is what makes this site so great is that a lot of people are willing to help :happy7: Later on today were going to put it on the lift but right now the Barracuda is on it. Were going to check the damage. My dad said it probably won't be good because it got so hot that I probably burned the bearings up, the rotors, & calipers so much that they are probably junk. If it helps any it has a very stiff pedal so that you can't even move it. I do not know if in '91 they had ABS.

Did you add fluid recently or did a brake pad change?

I did recently add fluid to it last week. It was half empty and I filled it to the full line.

" It hasn't been on the road for the last 6 or so years"

Betcha both calipers are crudded up and the pistons are sticking in the bores !!

Best to get new (or rebuilt) ones.

And flush all the old crappy full-of-moisture fluid out.

" It hasn't been on the road for the last 6 or so years"

Betcha both calipers are crudded up and the pistons are sticking in the bores !!

Best to get new (or rebuilt) ones.

And flush all the old crappy full-of-moisture fluid out.

Thats the plan :yawinkle: It just sucks :angry4: new rotors, hoses, calipers, pads, & quite possibly bearings :(

sorry to hear. Since there is already a ton of good advice I will be the first to jokingly say... whats wrong?? .... it is a ford.

first thing you do, open the bleeders, if fluid squirts out and the calibers release, then they are a ok. if not, calipers bad.

Before you assume the calipers are bad check for the problems below. Otherwise this is correct. If the calipers do release and are good, check for the many other hydraulic problems that everyone else mentioned already.

if its disc I would check to see if you have a frozen slide.....they get rusty and then if you tap your brakes they freeze in place. (had a jeep once that the wheel locked up on because of this, took some sand paper to it and then greased it and it worked fine).

rock slunk up in between pad and rotor

-
Back