Wtf?

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
The other day I told my wife I needed new leaf spring bushings for my Dart.
She say's "Ok, that will be your birthday present then."

Hm, Hm
I say "Hold on. I didn't call the four wheel brakejob I did on your BMW your Birthday present"

I drive my car every day to all my onsite computer related service calls, so it's not just a hobby car.
This is normal maint type stuff, not something cool or pretty for my car that I don't really need.

Really couldn't care less about a Birthday present, but it kinda pisses me that she acts like anything for my car is just an option and not a necessity.

I gave her a netbook for her Birthday last month.
Now I think I'll take it back and sell it for cool Dart stuff like I was thinking to do with it in the first place, and tell her the parts and labor on her BMW is HER Birthday present.:wack:

It's a part that can wear out, just like ball joints, motor mounts, control arm bushings, brakes, etc. It's a simple fact of automotive life she needs to understand and accept. But try to be diplomatic about it because it sounds like it could get ugly. Good luck.

I use to tell mine everything, it took me years to find out she really didn't care. Now I do as I please without telling her, and as long as the bills are payed and her car is taken care of, no problem.

Mine said that to me too. Actually from time to time still does. Also makes and issue out of my hunting trips(the farthest trip i take is 4 times a year, 130 miles from home in a 1976 camper.). She's a pack and a half a day smoker who works part time at BP. Me 2 jobs. Oh well, unless she splits that is just our normal. We have a 13 year old daughter.

Well in her defense, maybe she things "those things" are a huge expensive addition like a great big 'mota'

Unfortunatly I can't not tell her.
You see, I give all the money I make to her, and she knows damn close to what I made each day since we are co owner/operators.
She pays the bills, and it freakin sucks to have to ask for some of my money back for something and have someone else decide whether or not it's a worthy cause.

"Sounds like it could get ugly"
That was good. :)

You said you didn't really care about the present.....just go with that. I don't know how long you have been married but I have been long enough to know my presents don't really matter (OK with me) but hers better at least have some half assed thought to them. I also agree with other posters that you just get yourself a gift from time to time without making it known. As long as it doesn't affect the family finances everybody is much happier.

and 27 years with this one.
The other two tried to tell me what to spend my money on.:cheers:

You said you didn't really care about the present.....just go with that. I don't know how long you have been married but I have been long enough to know my presents don't really matter (OK with me) but hers better at least have some half assed thought to them. I also agree with other posters that you just get yourself a gift from time to time without making it known. As long as it doesn't affect the family finances everybody is much happier.

Dude,
You need a paycheck every week and after you buy your parts,hand her the receipt and tell her it is an expense of the business...She should be happy you spent it on something that is deductible but do not take this advice from someone that is recently single like me ...LOL

Yeah, my wife does the same thing.

When I told her that I needed to rebuild the front end of the Valiant she was like, "How much is that gonna cost?" "Do, I get to spend that much on clothes or shopping or...?":banghead:

I'm like, whoa, whoa!! :protest:I drive this car every day, it's 46 years old!! Parts need replaced and updated. Then, I throw the fact that she drives and fully loaded like new 2006 Jeep Commander w/Hemi every day to work. Next time something goes wrong with it, I guess I get to spend how ever much it costs to fix on whatever I desire then, fair is fair, right? lol :happy1:
That usually takes care of it!:bootysha:

Yeah, my wife does the same thing.

When I told her that I needed to rebuild the front end of the Valiant she was like, "How much is that gonna cost?" "Do, I get to spend that much on clothes or shopping or...?":banghead:

I'm like, whoa, whoa!! :protest:I drive this car every day, it's 46 years old!! Parts need replaced and updated. Then, I throw the fact that she drives and fully loaded like new 2006 Jeep Commander w/Hemi every day to work. Next time something goes wrong with it, I guess I get to spend how ever much it costs to fix on whatever I desire then, fair is fair, right? lol :happy1:
That usually takes care of it!:bootysha:

My wife's daily driver is a 91 BMW 325i vert.
I tease her when she says "I have to drive all the way over to wherever) and I say "Oh you poor girl, you have to drive that car all the way there and back?":bootysha:

If she's just watching every penny with your's and her future in mind then that's actually a great thing. My wife does the same thing but she doesn't blow a bunch of $$$ on Manicure's, Facials, More shoes etc... I'm lucky to have someone who's my team mate working toward the future. Maybe that's the case for you too??

I know for a fact that this is what she is doing.
She rarely even gets a new top or shoes for herself even though she will take the grandkids out for dinner.
Gotta love her, and trust her too. Right?

If she's just watching every penny with your's and her future in mind then that's actually a great thing. My wife does the same thing but she doesn't blow a bunch of $$$ on Manicure's, Facials, More shoes etc... I'm lucky to have someone who's my team mate working toward the future. Maybe that's the case for you too??

Just let it go. We need to understand that we get the sort end on gifts especially after kids.

Last year my buddy was really excited his wife got him a snow-blower for Christmas. I asked him if he got her a vacuum cleaner or ironing board. He said no, we laughed and we discussed that it wouldn't go over well at all and that he liked where his spleen was currently located.

Quote: I gave her a netbook for her Birthday last month.

Next time buy her an I-ron for her birthday!

Did you read all the posts or just the first one or two and comment on it.
Not being a baby, just noticing the way some things are and bitchin about it a little.
Which by the way I almost never do, since it doesn't apply to our cars.
You must be part female or something if you read the posts and think that.

Sounds fair to me. Stop being a baby about it. :poke:

Attachments

• poke.gif
    755 bytes · Views: 195
I think the issue is that to people outside of the hobby, anything you spend on your car is frivolous to them. It looks like you are just spending money because you like to spend money on your car. It's not the reality of it all the time, but it is their reality. If you weren't in the car hobby, and said you needed parts for your car, it would be a maintenance expense, but because it's your hobby, it's not a necessity.

On a side note, I think it should be a team effort in life. Keeping things secret and tricking your spouse seems counter productive to me. But then I have a supportive wife of 21 years, and barely enough money to keep the household afloat, so it's not like we have to talk about it much.

I know for a fact that this is what she is doing.
She rarely even gets a new top or shoes for herself even though she will take the grandkids out for dinner.
Gotta love her, and trust her too. Right?
Yep, Sounds like you got a good one. These days you need to be a team. Sometimes we all want stuff that's a bit out of reach but we keep each other in check.

-
Back