wth - another prob. torsion bars wont go back in

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
i have them market front to rear and drivers/pass. all from the 76 V8 going into the 67 car. just spent 3 hours between having car jacked up/not jacked up, control arms under pressure/no pressure. pulled the shocks / left the shocks in. and all combinations of these and still cannot get the ffing torsion bars in. they slide in through the first hole but no angle will let them seat into the control arms.

i am really REALLY beginning to detest the car.

I think I JUST read a thread about this a week or so ago.... I think if you look in the archives, you might find some help! :wave:

Lift the front end off the ground.
Loosen the nut on each lower control arm,but leave the nut on.
Stick a pry bar between the lower control arm and k-frame. Push them out a little,freeing them up a bit.
I will also take a pair of channel locks and spin the torsion bar mounting hole of the control arms,so they are in the right position for the bars.
They should now slide in.If they are close a slight nudge with a small sludge hammer should seat them.
Make sure you have grease in both torsion bar mounting holes.

add on to johnny dart note also back off adjusting bolt so that you get all loose

To properly preload the torsion bars you'll need to remove the bump stop under the upper control arm so the assembly can rotate down farther.

got em in - thanks for the tips! loosened em up and used the channel locks to spin into position. thanks again FABO!

-
Back