wyotech?

-

ellococt

Reaction score
Has anyone ever attented this school? Is it worth the money? Did you like the classes? I'm considering going to this school for I don't really like school as in college and I like working on cars is this a good option I live in so cal if you want to recommend another auto school

My son is going to Wyotech this fall at the Blairsville Pa. campus. It seems like a good school. They have friendly and in constant contact willing o any they can.

Although Wyotech has it's automotive division, in a way, it's like going to college or a university. You have to get all of your undergraduate studies out of the way before you really get into all of the "fun stuff". I hired two young guys from Wyotech and they were both pretty damn good wrenches. They both graduated from Wyo with a focus on Hot Rods/Restoration. BTW: This was up in NorCal & they do offer financial aid.

I have heard mixed reviews about people coming out of the body program from there. It could also just be the people though.

I'm going to WyoTech in Laramie right now. I don't have any real complaints about it. It is kind of pricy. I thought I was just paying for the name but I've heard that my local tech school doesn't scratch the surface of what i have learned here.

WyoTech is set up like a traditional college in the fact that you need to choose your "major" which is automotive, diesel, or collision refinishing. These are 6 month courses that you do need to take before you can take the fun classes.

I'm about 3/4 of the way done with the automotive class and I never thought I could learn that much in that amount of time. The instructors try to give us as much time in the shop as they can which is a bonus.

I can't honestly say it is better or worse than other schools, but i have learned everything I wanted to here.

My nephew went to WyoTech and when he graduated there were folks waiting in line to hire him. I also know a kid who graduated from the autobody school at Wyo Tech and I've seen his work, which is first class. Wyo Tech has a great reputation. Go for it!

I graduated from Wyo Tech way back in 1973! It was the best automotive school back then and I hear it still is. It must have done me well as I have owned my own automotive service business for 28 years now and doing very well.

Remember, this school or any other is as good as what you put into it. I have hired a few grads from Wyo-tech. To be honest, only one was worth his salt.
One actually quit after two weeks to go work for Boyd. If you catch the reruns, he's the one that Duane had shaking a can of flat black paint until the ball quit rattling so it would turn to semi-gloss......
I'm just saying......

Just got out of Wyotech about 4 months ago to come here....hot rod institute. My honest opinion about the school.....and im not bashing it, just an opinion....is that your paying for the name now, they seem to be more focused on getting a check rather than your education anymore. I paid close to 20k just for the initial 6 month auto tech program I completed. Honestly I could of gotten the same education from a local tech for half the price...I know because two of my best friends got done with south east tech. I also completed the ASM program out there. It was like a high school class, but I got some good management info from it. My biggest problem with the school is too many students for the instructors. I was a night student in auto tech and we had the smallest class at the time which was around 45 students....for two instructors... sometimes it was impossible to get a question answered. I was planning on taking chassis fab, street rod, interior..ect... out there until I found hot rod institute and I love it here...much better school. Hot Rod is run by Doug LaRue....the guy that created the Street Rod program at Wyotech back in the early 90's. Now has his own school. It cost less to go here, and you honestly get more out of your education out here.

i go to laramie county community college in cheyenne wyoming. its about 45 min to a hour from wyotech so we are kinda big rivals lol. but we have had plenty of people have to come to our skool sent by dealerships after graduating wyotech to get retrained. now i do think is was a lot the students they probably didnt pay as much attention as they should of. but i am getting a great education for a fraction of the price. i would highly recommend l.c.c.c. over wyotech. i think it is less then 5000 a year with dorms, food and classes. i am not saying if you go to wyotech you need retrained but i dont think you need to pay that much for the education

Like tyler says, check out your local schools as well. Not too far from us here, Contra Costa College in the East Bay (San Pablo) has a tremendous collision training program. Peter Locke has been running the program for years now, gets lots of outside support from local vendors and body shops. Inside it is well equipped with two spray booths, lots of welding equipment, I think a frame rack, too. They also host Saturday I-CAR training courses.
Contra Costa College is a community college and its program is probably a fraction of the cost of Wyotech. Our shop has hired several of their grads, as well as some Wyotech grads.

I have a friend who went then later joined the military. Last time I saw him I asked him how the training was and he said it was ok but he wouldn't spend the money on it again. I went to a local vocational program when I was still in high school and that was one of the smartest moves I made. Something I loved to do and brought my GPA up. I even interned at a local dealership where I was later hired on full time. As most of it will depend on the teachers I would try to talk to some of the students from the particular location your looking at. If you have a vocational program around you check that out too. I know to attend the vocational program here its only a few hundred bucks instead of thousands.

I graduated from wyotech about 5 years ago, and it was a waste of money, you do learn alot, but it's a complete waste of money it's like a big car show everyday pretty much, all the kids want to do is talk about their imports and street race... thats my opinion

but also it may depend on location too... fremonts campus just sucks to be honest. maybe laramie is better? or sactown?

-
Back