X Head Assembly & Installation - Comments Requested

-
How is the FSM wrong and where did you get the other value from?

I don't pull these things out of my arse when I post on this forum. I have experienced or tested this stuff.

Go to the factory service manual and look at the torque reference for every 5/16-18 bolt. It will be 200-210 in-lbs, 10 (oil pan bolts)-18 ft-lbs. And like mentioned above the rocker shaft bolt for the 318-340 is said to be a 3/8-16 and it is actually 5/16-18.

I was with my Dad in his grouchy old age when he and my son were building a 340 for the boy. When it came time to bolt the rocker shaft down, Dad told Cody to torque them to 30 ft-lbs per the service manual. I thought at the time that was way too much, but you didn't argue with Pop. Cody torqued them to 30 ft-lbs and one went 'snap'.

Dad said to Cody, "Now you've f**k'd up!" Probably thinking that the boy had use more torque than 30, Pop was pissed.

So we went over the service manual and I showed Pop the torque references and we pulled all the bolts. On some you could actually see the stretched threads. We replaced them all and torqued them to 200 in-lbs. No problem'o.

Was this directed towards me?

Unfortunately, your first question, quoted above, exposed a childish and arrogant side of me. In my immaturity I over reacted.

To answer the second question.........It was directed at the world, but mostly at you that moment! And I was out of line. Forgive?

Unfortunately, your first question, quoted above, exposed a childish and arrogant side of me. In my immaturity I over reacted.
LMAO! No worries. It happens. I actually thought I quoted YR!

To answer the second question.........It was directed at the world, but mostly at you that moment! And I was out of line. Forgive?
Again! NO WORRIES! All is great as normal. Again, I thought I quoted YR and I wasn't sure on the response delivery.
YR and I will throw sarcastic responses and questions at each other. Ones that don't need answers. I myself at that time, had I realized it was you and it YR, would have wrote in "Sarcasm" as a dead give away.

Example;
"OMG! The FSM is wrong?!?! ("Sarcasm!")
How can that be!!!! Gasp!

We all have the moments. I Work overnights as a norm, add in an extra 2 or 3 shifts on top, lack of sleep, horns honk, wake to children screaming, dog pops at the foot of the bed, etc, LMAO ... you get the drill....

It happens... again, noooooo worries!

-
Back