X head/valve guide and reconditioning price?

-

Russ H

Reaction score
I am going to have a set of X heads gone over. What can I expect to pay for a performance type valve job which would include replacing all guides, seals, retainers?

Russ

Depends on what needs to be done,the condition of the cores.And what you want. Base valve job,150 to 300.Most likely ,replace all 16 valves. Expect, 800,fo 1200 out of pocket.

Don't forget the hardened exhaust seats. It's cheaper just to buy an aftermarket head. Sell the X heads to someone who's restoring a 340 car. That's what I'm doing with mine.

Indy X heads w/ 2.02 valves $1100
Sell your X heads <300>
Difference $800

Mine cost a grand to do everything to them. With the exception of the intake valves, they reused those. Brian T, I disagree with selling them. Even though there are people who will want them, with the cost of redoing the heads, you'll come out ahead if you just go ahead and redo them. People aren't willing to pay that much for the heads.

I thought I was a little conservative on my pricing of the X heads.

Cheaper to get aftermarket heads. RHS heads or eddy aluminum is the way to go.

Really? I looked up the price for Eddy heads. 1500 per a set. I spent 1000 on the heads to get them done, I couldn't sell them for what I have in them and then I'd have to spend another 500 to get the heads.

I just had a set of X heads done last year, with all new hardened seats ( intake and exhaust), all new guides, and all new stainless valves, with 5 angle valve job. and had the spring pressure checked, and installed new keepers, and seals, for a total of 525.00. Of course then I brought them home and before I bolted them on, I decieded I really wanted a set of aluminum heads, so I bought a set, and now the X heads sit here in bags on my bench. I should probably just sell them.

Really? I looked up the price for Eddy heads. 1500 per a set. I spent 1000 on the heads to get them done, I couldn't sell them for what I have in them and then I'd have to spend another 500 to get the heads.

But you're leaving out an important point. Those two sets of heads are not "comparable."

as in?

I'm saying, I couldn't have sold the heads for 300 in the condition that they were in. They took 1000 worth of labor and parts to get them where they are now. I can't sell them for 1000. Maybe 600. Now I have no heads and am still 900 away from Eddy heads or 500 from the RHS. It just wasn't worth it to try and sell them and buy a new set.

My point is you don't HAVE Ed or RHS heads. You have factory stock heads. To be fair, and convert apples to oranges, could you have ported, etc, worked your factory heads to the equivalent of RHS/ Ed heads?

-
Back