X heads on 318

-

Hyper Kevin

Reaction score
When I purchased my barracuda, it came with a standard bore 318 with X heads and intake manifold from a 340. This car will never hit the strip, so I don't need to make crazy power, but I would like a little more HP than a standard 318. Does it make more sense (cost-wise and performance-wise) to buy a set of 302 or magnum heads and sell the X heads, or keep what I have and try to increase compression with flat-top pistons, milling the deck, etc.?

keep the heads. Get a comp xe 262 or xe 268 cam, and KB167 pistons or equal.

Whats your budget? what size carb?

If your willing to have machine work done.

Have your block decked to 9.588 and the KB167's to a zero deck.

I've done it. The smaller bore does impede the flow a bit through the valves, and compression could be bumped up some like sublime said.I had a 262 comp cam, actually, and it worked quite well on the street. This was in a 72 Barracuda. Intake was off the same 340, with a Carter carb. I never did put headers on it, like I planned.

The 302's will give you more Tq and low end Hp and for street they would be a plus over the X heads as a 318 can't and won't ever utilize the ports or valves to there potential. But this is JMO

gained 1/2 second from stock 318 heads to stock 340 x heads on my old 318. it was soft down the bottom end to begin with and they didnt seem to affect it much.

-
Back