XE268 and XE274 cams

-

petreed150

Reaction score
I would like to hear some builds and et's with xe268 or xe274 cams if someones running them!Thanks

I have the XE268H. LA/Magnum hybrid 360 +.040, KB107's 10.58 to 1 compression. roller rockers,M1 dual plane intake,1" spacer, 650 Speed demon,long tube headers, MSD 6AL and billitt dizzy. This combo gives me a little over 400 HP/TQ. Runs on 91 Octane

Jack

It depends on what I am doing. Around home and town I run 4.10's. If I am going on the highway for a trip I take an hour and put a set of 3.23's in.

Jack

I was thinking of 4.10 or lower as mine is going in 4000lb truck.The xe268 is what i was thinking of using in my eddy headed 318 with 10.1 comp,airgap intake,650 holley dp.727 with 2500 stall!The truck is 83 d150 2wd!Mine is just going to be around town.How does the cam sound and i am going to run 28in tire,so which gear do you think would be good?I was thinking 4.30.

..some find comp XE series fast ramp cams noisy but there is no disputing the performance.
..i use xe-268 and like it..
some like the Lunati Voodoo series, but i have not tried one myself so can't say

I was thinking of 4.10 or lower as mine is going in 4000lb truck.The xe268 is what i was thinking of using in my eddy headed 318 with 10.1 comp,airgap intake,650 holley dp.727 with 2500 stall!The truck is 83 d150 2wd!Mine is just going to be around town.How does the cam sound and i am going to run 28in tire,so which gear do you think would be good?I was thinking 4.30.

4.10 would be a nice choice.

I think I would stay with the 4.10's myself. That will give you lots of low end grunt and still be reasonable to drive.Sounds like a nice setup. The cam has a little lope to it, not a lot though.

Jack

Hensleys gonna do phase1 port and polish on heads to but just a little!I cant wait to see what it'll run!

I'm basically doing the same thing right now, looking for a camshaft for my 318 powered '85 Ram. I was thinking of the Comp Thumper series camshafts. I'm leaning toward the 283THR7.

Did the heads need any kind of mods as far as the valve guide go's??? or can it take all that lift. If you can help me with the size of the push rod. I have a set of Magnum heads i would like to use. Thanks for the help guys...

Just got off phone with Hensleys and told me with my heads and pistons,I would be at 9.7 comp,so they asked me if i want them to mill heads and get my comp into 10.1!They said i could go to 10.5 and run pump gas and get more power!What would you guys do?I told them when i came to pay them i would let them know!

What about a lunati voodoo 268 it sits between the xe268 and xe274. here is a [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag-CT1NHP-k"]video[/ame] of a nice freakin challenger on youtube that has the voodoo 268.
it sounds nice. In aluminum headed 318, I think I would use this cam and go 10 to 10.5 to 1.

I thought about voodoo 268 but i dont know about using adjustable rockers yet,I have the mp heavy duty rockers!

It works fine with stock rockers. just need to make sure you have the correct pushrod length. but you need to do that with any of the cams.

I would like to hear some builds and et's with xe268 or xe274 cams if someones running them!Thanks

One of the best features of the Dodge engine is the larger lifter size and almost nobody exploits it. You get a Chevy grind on a Dodge shaft. I have done a lot of research on cams for small Dodge. It's very difficult to compare apples to apples when comparing one manufacture's cams to another because a spec card really doesn't show you the ramp profile. It can be done but you have to look for the data.

The XE cams from comp do have an agressive ramp rate but appear to be designed for taking full advantage of the Chevy .842 lifter. Take a look at the adv duration, duration @0.050, and lift between a small Chevy and Dodge. They are almost always identical. While that is XE is better than the older designs there is a better option. Hughes Cams makes a line of cams that take full advantage of the .904" dodge lifter. Compare a Hughes cam with a comperable cam that has the same duration @0.050, and you will see that the overall duration (advertised duration) is much less and gross lift is much greater. The advertised duration(overall duration), amount of overlap and where the cam is installed dictates the sound, and temperment of the cam but the ramp rates dictate how well the cylinders fill while the valves are open. That means the Hughes will fill the cylinders better and operate at a much lower rpm, retain more vacuum and idle smoother. That equals low speed horsepower and torque! These cams do not disappoint!

We have a '65 Dart with a 340 and a set of econ w-2 heads. THis is not a professional tune job, just a box stock 750 dp Demon with a jet change. The heads are basically box stock with the exception of 11/32 stem 2.08/1.60 valves and is topped with an M1 single plane intake. 12:1 static compression and H beam rods. Headers are 1-5/8 Hooker super comp headers. We are using a solid variety of a Hughes cam multiplied with 1:6 rockers. The car makes 404 HP @ 7000 rpm (roughly 480 hp flywheel hp) at the tires routed thrugh a 4 speed, 3.55:1 and 28" tires. What's more impressive is the low end torque and smoothness of power.

The car weighs 3300lbs, you can dog it thru the corner until you can start to hear the cam, stand on the throttle and it'll shove you into the seat. On the street, a little too agreesive with the throttle shifting into 4th gear (near 90mph) and the 315/35/ZR17's DOT road race slicks will go up in smoke (in a straight line).

This is the 2nd cam for Hughes in this engine. The first was a bit smaller in the same engine on pump gas. Although we didn't dyno that one, it was no disapointment either. I will not buy anything but hughes for a Dodge.

If you want to shell out for a roller cam, then do your research, but if you want top performance without spending a fortune, pay a little extra and buy a Hughes.

If you want to see a little clip of our first time out with a bunch of new modifications to the chassis see the link below. Make sure you get 7 min into the video to see some of faster footage because we were taking it easy trying to find the limits of handling. Also, please note that the video really doesn't do justice. The Mustang is going flat out and as you can hear the Dart isn't having to work on the straights. The Dart is capable of 140+ on the straights. You can also hear the engine overpower the clutch of few times in high gear on the straights. The engine is only at full throttle 2 or 3 times throughout the video but it does illustrate the smoothness of power.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=109L5WHZULM"]65 Dart vs Mustang.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

Hopefully we can post another video this spring/summer.

The comp lobe is made for the bigger lifter. The cams are made from cheap chinese ****, and the profiles are a "fit all" type. Voodoo's are made for a certain combo in mind, ask them. Hughes are supposed to be great, but, I can call ISKY and talk to the man, and get what I want, down to the very degree, so why bother with Comp. Comp thumpr cams run like crap too.

I used the cam dyno on the comp cams site and the thumper cams lose a lot of power. On the mild combo I put into the dyno it lost 30 hp compared to an XE cam.

People would be a hell of a lot cam smart if they would get rid of those dumb computer dyno things...........

Yeah, the thumper cam is made to sound cool, think T bucket with (yet another) chevy smallblock. No need for power, the thing would wreck, but it sure sounds cool!

Problem is, from what I have learned, there is no off the shelf pre-made ready to go cam that is perfect for anybody. Headflow, cubic inch, compression, carb, car, converter, tranny, driver style, even right to the damn air cleaner type has a certain role in cam selection. So while ordering a cam from comp is easy, why not talk to the place that will listen to what you need, and grind it for you, ISKY, Hughes, etc. Not only are you getting something custom for YOUR engine, you are getting a quality American piece from a company that spends more on quality that advertizement. Lunati cams are your best bet I think for off the shelf, however, it may work well for a 340, but if you put it in a 360, maybe you want more exhaust duration, and to spread the lobes a couple degrees, or, in a 318, maybe less exhaust duration, and maybe tighten the lobes a bit? Trust me, 2* somewhere means a LOT.

I traded some parts and ended up with new in the box sb mopar 284/528 solid cam with lifters.How good would it be in my 318!

-
Back