XE268 and XE274 cams

-
Yeah but i was thinking of running 4.30 or 4.56 since closest track is 1/8th mile.Plus the weight!I figure it dont matter what cam on this as there is no torque being made but my eddy heads are getting ported and i am gonna buy adjustable rockers so might as well use a solid!

Wanted to let everybody know that went up to Hensleys to pay for crank and rods and found out i was better of getting 4.00 inch crank so bought eagle cast crank and eagle sir rods so now this is defenitely 318/392 with 10.1 comp!But trade did not go thru for mp 528 cam.So staying hydraulic but Ken told that it was upto me on the cam but it is between the xe274 or the xe275hl cam.Going with either the comp ultra promagnum 1.5 rockers or PRW 1.6 stainless steel rockers.Already have boss hogg 2200-2800 stall so now I just got to make my mind up the two cams.So which one?

If you want to see a little clip of our first time out with a bunch of new modifications to the chassis see the link below. Make sure you get 7 min into the video to see some of faster footage because we were taking it easy trying to find the limits of handling. Also, please note that the video really doesn't do justice. The Mustang is going flat out and as you can hear the Dart isn't having to work on the straights. The Dart is capable of 140+ on the straights. You can also hear the engine overpower the clutch of few times in high gear on the straights. The engine is only at full throttle 2 or 3 times throughout the video but it does illustrate the smoothness of power.

65 Dart vs Mustang.mp4 - YouTube

Hopefully we can post another video this spring/summer.

Great video - the Dart sounds killer!! The guy driving that Mustang was clearly a novice... he had some horrible lines and was not setting himself up very well through the turns..
Can't wait to see another video from you though!! You should get a GoPro ... the new ones are freaking amazing

valiantwaterman,

Enjoyed the video.
Sure would like to play on a track like that.

Finally,Here is the setup as follows!318/392,airgap with 1in 4hole spacer,stage 1 ported eddy heads with comp ultra pro magnum rockers,XE275HL cam with 231/237@50 and 525/525 lift,IC847 pistons,Eagle crank and Eagle SIR rods.Carb is gonna be AED 750HP!Also gonna order Dynamic 2500 stall for 727 as i sold Boss Hogg 2200-2800 because heard they aint that good.Building 8.75 rear,got the housing painted and buying new axle bearings and seals soon but will have to buy 742 or 489 case but need to know if i should use auburn cone type or detroit true trac with 3.91 gear and tire size is 275/60/15!Thanks and I cant wait to run this motor!Hopefully ready by end of the summer!Sorry i kept changing up the setup but now I have it figured out and satisfied!

Dynamic suggested 2500 stall? If you tell them your setup they will suggest one for you, if they have nto already.

The 275HL is a litle small for a 4" stroke engine, especially one with 10:1 compression. If you want to stay hydraulic the 285HL would be my first choice, with the solid XS282S solid being 2nd. In both cases make sure Hensley fixed the valve job during thier porting, the correct matched springs are being used (the RPM supplied ones are not enough), and that they do not assemble the heads with the inner springs. You need to break in the cam without the inners.

If you are going stroker with 10:1 should look at the solid cam then brian made me or look at the came he used in his stroker article that made 480-500 hp

Well I have thought about xe284 cam but way Ken talked with this going in my 83 D150 shortbed He thought i needed to step down to the 274 or 275HL!Just gonna be mostly street duty!He said he has used the xe274 in alot of sb strokers and performs well but I came up with the xe275hl cam and he liked the idea so we agreed on it!If I dont like the cam I am gonna switch to a Voodoo cam!Thought about solid cam but dont think I want to have to adjust valve lash alot!Plan on driving it as much as i can!Almost everything in the motor and heads is from Comp Cams so i wanted the cam to be Comp!The heads have double springs matched for the cam and is getting valve job!How many rpms does the cam come down in stroker?

You need to just contact someone who builds engines for a living, like Brian at IMM or Mike at MRL Performance or Hughes. And just get it done with.

I was going to let Mike at MRL do it but i live in TN and couldnt afford to take it up there and Hensley Performance is only 30mins away!Heard they are good and they did the machine work on my 360 that i sold!Brian at IMM also used voodoo 268 cam in stroker and its smaller than the xe275hl and it put up good numbers!Wished i could afford for one of them to do it but I am doing this Walmart supervisor pay and a family Lol!

Plus with 4000+ lbs I looking for torque!This combo i hoping for 460-470hp and 490-500ft torque!I know 4in stroke is big but i feel it still has small bore and under 400 cubes!Thats why i am staying on small side on cam,rather be under than over!

I just said call them and ask them for help. I did not say purchase a cam from the. They would be more then willing to help you with advice.

Oh yeah I know,Ive talked to mike quite a bit and he was gonna do the work for me but my funds didnt allow me.Thats why i posted on here to see thoughts on the cam.Ken Hensley likes nothing but Comp.MRL said he loves the voodoo cams and they make torque but brought it up to Ken and he said he makes more power with comp!I feel the cam is small but dont want it to radical either.I aint bought the cam yet but I buying it from Hensley.He said i could run which ever one he just recommends them two for street.I want never see track but I will run it hard when i can.The HILift cams is based on mopar lobes and xe are chevy but The xe284 cam sounds interesting.I wouldnt trying to be a butthole or anything but Ive been trying to figure out cams?

Also heard couple of cars on youtube with xe275hl,both are 408 strokers,and still sounded pretty healthy!Oh and my exhaust is 2.5 with cheap turbo muffs but gonna get Dynomax UltraFlos!

Plus with 4000+ lbs I looking for torque!This combo i hoping for 460-470hp and 490-500ft torque!I know 4in stroke is big but i feel it still has small bore and under 400 cubes!Thats why i am staying on small side on cam,rather be under than over!

You asked what affect the longer stoke has... The difference in stroke length is a hair over 20% longer. Using just that figure, if you were looking at a cam for a 318 with an intake duration at .050 around 220°, then the equivolent cam for a 390 would be 264° at .050. Assuming the ports and intake/carb are upped the same percentage. This is an over-generalization, but you can get the idea. Strokers like duration. If you run a cam around 245° to 250° @ .050, you will have torque AND horsepower. If you run much less, you will have torque.
You'll have to let us know how it goes. I think HP-wise it won't make your number with that cam. But the torque will be strong, that's for sure.

Also heard couple of cars on youtube with xe275hl,both are 408 strokers,and still sounded pretty healthy!Oh and my exhaust is 2.5 with cheap turbo muffs but gonna get Dynomax UltraFlos!

youtube is useless. I can hear a honda that sounds healthy or not, but still runs 10s. Sounding healthy can mean nothing. :eek:ops::violent1:

Mine is an XE274. My build is on the last page of the 12 combos in the Racer section. Nothing done to heads except a bit taken off the face. Works good for me... I'm really happy with the performance considering the stuff that's in it.... especially with 3.55 and a big tire. Street driven everywhere... its in the parking lot here at work right now....

This truck will probably not see 10's!But I will eventually get cal-tracs for it but right now only gonna have homemade slapper bars and MT Et streets.Eventually this truck is gonna get bb 383 stroker with either 440 crank or Muscle Motors 450 stroker kit!Thanks Moper for stroke advise!I thinking of looking at xe284 or xe285hl!

-
Back