Yep,another 67 Valiant resto/mod for me this time :)

-
I scored some oo2/003 leaf springs and drag shocks from CL over the weekend. I am thinking of selling the 488 a body Dana I picked up for this car and just build one the way I want. I will be tubing this car and it would be better to narrow a different housing then cut up one already set for an a body. I may keep the power lock from it to use in the other one unless I can find a deal on one.

I spent most of the day installing a Signet dash in it,column,wiring harnesses and plugged most stuff in,speedo cable and took out the e braje stuff and installed a plug. I have 3:54 gears for the dana now. The doors are now bolted back to the hinges and DS door glass and wing window assy put back in,put the rear seat in. The transport company is not returning my calls about the damage they did to my car.

Picture 4074.jpg

Picture 4070.jpg

Picture 4071.jpg

Picture 4072.jpg

Picture 4073.jpg

Picture 3685.jpg

Picture 3641.jpg

Looks like you're making some great progress but what kind of transport company damages a car like that, usually they do a great job handling cars since that's their job...

Thanks. I'm selling off what I don't need to get the parts I do need. I'm going with an 89-91 roller cam 360 that I'm pulling at the junk yard with 71,000 miles. The car was on 4 swivel casters when it was shipped and by the looks of the 1/4 they didn't have it secured properly and it bounced off the wall. This car was a bare shell when I got it and is now mostly back together and rolling.

Think i have enough tail lights? I kept 2 sets for each of my cars.

Picture 4078.jpg

lol,yeah. This car is getting a roller 360,904 and 354 dana60. I located a 71,000 mile 91 360 at the junk yard in a church van. I'm still trying to figure the best way to remove it since the yard limits my methods. I spend 5hrs removing the front of the van and removing all of the unneeded crap from the motor. I am going back today to remove the starter,linkage,trans bolts,motor mount bolts and converter bolts and see if they will let me bring my hoist. The roller LA 360's were factory for 89-91 only. Is the efi throttlebody worth grabbing?

Sounds like a chore with that van. Good luck. It'll be worth it in the long run. I can't really speak to the throttle body. I've read where some use them no problem and some upgrade to newer technology.

It's a pretty primitive removal process to say the least,but I at least got it to the front bumber area and bring my hoist to pluck it out.

They supply an a frame hoist but it's pretty useless on vans when the engine is back under the dash. I brought my long pry bar,chain and a ratchet strap to see if it would work to walk it to the front and it kind of did but it couldn't pull the back of the engine over the crossmember. I decided to get creative and found a truck axle near by and locked the wheel end into the cowl and the other end laying on the bumper. It made for a good strong attachment point and worked pretty good until I couldn't get it any farther so then I started hooking the strap ends to the cowl and it is now sitting in the bumper area at least. They also said I could bring my hoist in so the rest will go quicker. I spent about 10 hours labor,4 hours of driving in 2 days getting this engine ready to come out. If it didn't have 70,000 miles I wouldn't have bothered.

How she looks at this moment. I have to go back and grab the 360 from the junk yard and swing by my storage garage for the trans. I am just going to set it in the car as storage for right now. I'm just accumulating everything I need for it so when I am ready to tear into it I have everything I need. I'll post some pics later of the primitive engine removal process from the van.

pics are before the purge and after. I can at least walk around the sides of the car now.

Picture 3795.jpg

Picture 4083.jpg

I finally got the engine out of the 91 church van at the yard and it's clean and has 308 heads. The block has a very minimal ridge at the top so I think the 71,000 on the odometer is correct.

I picked up a 91 roller cammed 360 with 70,000 miles on it in a church van at the u pull it. It only took me 3 days,300 miles of driving and some searious creativity to get it out by myself. This motor is super clean inside and out and even came with a windage tray. The guy at the yard felt sorry for me having to go through all of that just to get an engine and just charged me for the block lol. It has 308 heads and barely any ridge in the cylinders. The other u pull it had a 79 Cordoba in it with a 360 so I robbed the mounts. I needed a car pan and found one (Milodon) from a fellow member but had to order a pick up. I took the pan off of the motor and see that it has a reusable gasket,score. The valve covers also had reusable gaskets. I took a sawsall to the pick up and removed it and dropped the windage tray before putting the pan back on. I am installing a new pump when the pick up goes on and the pan gets here. I threw the 308 heads back on it for now.

I was trying to set the engine today but the Mildon pan really sucks for clearance. I just left it sitting on the k frame and put a ratchet strap across the T bars to support the trans for the time being. It's just going to the other garage. I did change the oil pump and added the Mildon pickup and windage tray though

Picture 4129.jpg

Picture 4130.jpg

Picture 4131.jpg

Picture 4132.jpg

Just installed the same pan and K member set up on a Duster, removing the trans dip stick tube and pulling the tail shaft to the drives side from under the car got it to clear but it was tight.

I was just informed that your supposed to notch the k frame. It's staying wedged in there until I pull the motor back out and I get a stock pan.

It will go, you could drop the k member down as well.

yanked that F'r back off,found a 360 car pan (876) and turns out it has a different offset stock center sump pick up than the 392 pan. The 876 sump is only 2" from the front of the pan and the 392 is 4" back. I wonder how many times I can remove the oil pump and retorque it before I should replace the gasket.

After all of the oil pan hiccups the engine and trans is finally in place. The 876 pan requires the 72-S4 pick up which was special order. The standard pick up is the 72-S2 for the pans with the sump 4" from the front. The 876 is only 2" from the front.

Picture 4232.jpg

Picture 4233.jpg

Picture 4234.jpg

It's going into storage tomorrow and this is what it looks like at the moment. I figured out how the transporter damaged my tail light section. He put the tie down hook in the opening and ratcheted it. It took me a while while looking at it today to figure out why only the one side of the opening has damage and none to the deck lid. I'm 90% certain I have everything needed when I start on it...maybe next year

Picture 3685.jpg

Picture 4259.jpg

Picture 4260.jpg

Picture 4261.jpg

Picture 4262.jpg

I also located a narrowed 8 3/4,large bolt and with springs moved into the frames that I'm picking up when this Dana sells.

Still gathering parts. I picked up a Hurst shifter set up and the correct 360 flex plate for 360/904 combo and another Sure Grip center.

Picture 4351.jpg

Picture 4299.jpg

Thats gonna be an awesome val when done. Subscribed. I would love to get a set of 67 vintage stock non commando valve covers.

Do you have a spare set to sell?

-
Back