Yet again more W2 360 talk

-

gagembassett

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm a flat tappet guy but I've been debating on going from my original planned solid flat tappet to solid roller. What's everyone's input? It'll only be spun up to 7,000 so it's not some wicked high rpm engine. What's everyone's thoughts?

Solid cam specs vs roller cam specs as well as the engine build particular in what vehicle doing what for a purpose?

It’s actually hard to beat a good solid flat tappet cam.

Solid cam specs vs roller cam specs as well as the engine build particular in what vehicle doing what for a purpose?

It’s actually hard to beat a good solid flat tappet cam.
Stock stroke 360 with 12:1 CR, ported 59 degree w2 heads probably either a Holley Strip Dominator or a Super Victor intake. Drag race build. Hoping for a shift point around 7,000. I'm going Bryant crank and K1 rods. 600 Hp is the goal The 360 is going in a 3,700 pound D150 pickup, 8 3/4 with 4.56 or 4.89 gears. 2.98 first gear ratio A833. I am guessing Racer Brown will do about .650ish for the cam specs and probably 310 for duration, just a guess though.

From what Hughes advertises, they can supposedly compare to a solid roller with a flat tappet using their light weight valve train components. I'd like to see the dyno results, though.

Stock stroke 360 with 12:1 CR, ported 59 degree w2 heads probably either a Holley Strip Dominator or a Super Victor intake. Drag race build. Hoping for a shift point around 7,000. I'm going Bryant crank and K1 rods. 600 Hp is the goal The 360 is going in a 3,700 pound D150 pickup, 8 3/4 with 4.56 or 4.89 gears. 2.98 first gear ratio A833. I am guessing Racer Brown will do about .650ish for the cam specs and probably 310 for duration, just a guess though.
Sounds like it going to be a Brutal smallblock!

I ran a 360 W-2 Challenger when I bracket raced regularly. 750 DP on a Holley Strip Dominator, 4-hole space, cams in the .575" range and about 11.5-1 compression. But I footbraked a 727 and weighed about 2,800+ lbs w/driver. Started shifting at 7200, but it ran just as good at 6,800. 5.13 Dana 60 with 14x32 tires. Converter was rated at 4,200, but forgot what it actually flashed to. Ran 10.30's - 50's over the years with a best of 10.22 when I had a template ported set of heads.

Good combo, but I'd watch for cap-walk at higher compressions. I'd strongly suggest a Dana 60 considering the weight and the stick...edit...with a Pro gear & possibly 40 spline axles if you will race it a lot!

Last edited:
You can do a solid cam at this level for less money than the roller for about dead equal performance.

Edelbrock has a “Super Victor” for W2 heads?
Are you sure about that?

Basically more tq everywhere-throttle response gets crisper...and itll pull further in the rpms.
Solid flat taps are fine .. but a roller is better.

Ditto on the Dana rear. If you elect to go with a roller, you'll want to run a set of lifters with larger than a .750 roller wheel. Since you're planning on talking to racer brown anyway, you're probably better served by their input on which way to go. One item that we are missing here is what are your goals concerning ET out of this brick?

You can do a solid cam at this level for less money than the roller for about dead equal performance.

Edelbrock has a “Super Victor” for W2 heads?
Are you sure about that?
Custom piece that a friend of mine has, similar to the small block STR-12 that a buddy is modifying for his W2 heads as well

Intake **** pics? Please?
This is the aforementioned STR-12. Only one I got from him, his engine builder is a former world champion pro stock racer, my friend is being pretty secretive about whatever is done to it for obvious reasons. :lol: I'll get some of the Super Victor

FB_IMG_1643601807931.jpg

How big are the ports? That looks mean Man!
That's a good question, I'll see if I can pry anymore info out of him. I think he's trying to go full ported W2 square port size on it. He said his engine builder "just grinned" when he asked how much it was going to cost to do it so he's gonna be in it deep lol

There is NO flat tappet cam that will outperform a modern, aggressive, high lift roller cam. But there are consequences such as more stress on the valve train & since roller cam valvetrains have more component parts, more chance of failures....
A FT cam ground for Mopar's larger 904 lifter size allows for a more aggressive profile & narrows the gap between it & a roller cam. Cheaper too. Depends on budget & ultimate goal.

I ran a 360 W-2 Challenger when I bracket raced regularly. 750 DP on a Holley Strip Dominator, 4-hole space, cams in the .575" range and about 11.5-1 compression. But I footbraked a 727 and weighed about 2,800+ lbs w/driver. Started shifting at 7200, but it ran just as good at 6,800. 5.13 Dana 60 with 14x32 tires. Converter was rated at 4,200, but forgot what it actually flashed to. Ran 10.30's - 50's over the years with a best of 10.22 when I had a template ported set of heads.

Good combo, but I'd watch for cap-walk at higher compressions. I'd strongly suggest a Dana 60 considering the weight and the stick...edit...with a Pro gear & possibly 40 spline axles if you will race it a lot!
Man, that sounds like Fun! And we'll all know the hard work and cash part... !

I'm thinking of running an 850 cfm Thermoquad with 110 octance race fuel on top of this combination. Spice it up and make it a little different than just a Quickfuel or 950 double pumper. How's that sound? Or should I throw all the balls in and just go dominator?

I'm thinking of running an 850 cfm Thermoquad with 110 octance race fuel on top of this combination. Spice it up and make it a little different than just a Quickfuel or 950 double pumper. How's that sound? Or should I throw all the balls in and just go dominator?

Dominator and don’t look back. How much compression do you have?

I am building a similar engine, 1967 340 block, stock crank and rods, TRW dome pistons, W-2 heads and a Holley intake. I got the short block from a friend awhile ago, it was built years ago and one of the W-2 heads was leaking. So he took the heads and had them repaired, and I got the short block. I got the Crane .600 lift solid lifter cam but no lifters. I sent the block out to get the lifter bores bushed, so I can run a roller cam with the W-2 heads.

-
Back