Yet again more W2 360 talk

-
I have thought about having the heads welded up to be closed chamber when I send them in to be repaired. (Now I realize 100% that I can just buy new heads for way cheaper but the whole point of this build is to use sentimental parts I have so that's why I am going the route I am on) maybe with the welded up close chambers I could reached 12.5:1 or even 13:1? Thoughts?
What is wrong with the heads that needs repairing? Cast iron is extremely difficult to repair as well let alone welding up the head. I am using quench done pistons in mine. Kieth black and icon both have dome pistons for open chamber heads

My question is what do you think these would bring for CR? They are also part of the sentimental part. I looked and asked around and was told the 12:1 part but I could be wrong
You’re asking a very vague question and any answer you get will be wrong because no one will know what chamber size you end up with after welding without measuring them. There are way too many variables involved to guess at a compression ratio.

I ran a custom Venolia to get 12.5:1
My W2s were 810 castings as well .
Jut run a flat top zero deck and a cometic .028 gasket . That should get you to 11.5 . If its a pure race car you will be running 100+ octane and squish really wont make a big difference.

I have thought about having the heads welded up to be closed chamber when I send them in to be repaired. (Now I realize 100% that I can just buy new heads for way cheaper but the whole point of this build is to use sentimental parts I have so that's why I am going the route I am on) maybe with the welded up close chambers I could reached 12.5:1 or even 13:1? Thoughts?

You are better off sticking the deck of the piston out of the hole of you want quench. Welding the head makes no sense.

There is way more to making power and detonation resistance than closed chambers and tight quench.

You are better off sticking the deck of the piston out of the hole of you want quench. Welding the head makes no sense.

There is way more to making power and detonation resistance than closed chambers and tight quench.

Who makes a + deck flat top piston ?

What is wrong with the heads that needs repairing? Cast iron is extremely difficult to repair as well let alone welding up the head. I am using quench done pistons in mine. Kieth black and icon both have dome pistons for open chamber heads
They are cracked in quite a few spots. Most most is on a bolt down corner but I have talked to a cylinder head shop in Kansas City that says they can repair them. These are also the aforementioned domed pistons I was talking about. TRW 4007042 pistons.

272717678_630252898301859_5035014285694694800_n.jpg

272937291_618963896036487_8737436809580795783_n.jpg

They are cracked in quite a few spots. Most most is on a bolt down corner but I have talked to a cylinder head shop in Kansas City that says they can repair them. These are also the aforementioned domed pistons I was talking about. TRW 4007042 pistons.

View attachment 1715863386

View attachment 1715863387

That piston is supposed to be out of the deck .018 with a shim gasket. I’ve run them as far as .054 out to get some quench and then milled the dome off a bit to get the compression where I wanted it.

Who makes a + deck flat top piston ?

They don’t that I know of. You have to do some math. I think a small dish with the piston coming out of the bore can get you some quench and keep the compression ratio where you want it. I suppose if the CR is high enough you can just stick the flat top out of the bore.

View attachment 1715863386

View attachment 1715863387
The first thing you should do is throw those heads in the closest scrap dumpster. Nobody in there right mind would try to weld a head with "multiple cracks" and a corner broken like that. They are probably just wanting to take a bunch of your money, for a head that WILL break as soon as you torque it down.

The first thing you should do is throw those heads in the closest scrap dumpster. Nobody in there right mind would try to weld a head with "multiple cracks" and a corner broken like that. They are probably just wanting to take a bunch of your money, for a head that WILL break as soon as you torque it down.
As I've said, they have sentimental value and that's the theme of this whole build. I could get way lighter 12:1 pistons than these lead slugs of TRW pistons but these have sentimental value, the block is uber rare because of the casting date but it was the block from my mom's childhood pickup, the heads my grandpa has had since the late 80s. A lot of things don't make sense on this build for today's day and age but being feasible is not the point of the build. The heads I checked to see if they can get fixed and they can so I will save them solely to stay on the theme of this build. Lots of people have had themed builds, this is one of them

As I've said, they have sentimental value and that's the theme of this whole build. I could get way lighter 12:1 pistons than these lead slugs of TRW pistons but these have sentimental value, the block is uber rare because of the casting date but it was the block from my mom's childhood pickup, the heads my grandpa has had since the late 80s. A lot of things don't make sense on this build for today's day and age but being feasible is not the point of the build. The heads I checked to see if they can get fixed and they can so I will save them solely to stay on the theme of this build. Lots of people have had themed builds, this is one of them

What’s the date code on those heads. I have a pair here for sale that are in very nice shape. Shipping is the killer but I’d bet the cost of welding and then machining them after all that heat would be more than the cost of the heads plus shipping.

What’s the date code on those heads. I have a pair here for sale that are in very nice shape. Shipping is the killer but I’d bet the cost of welding and then machining them after all that heat would be more than the cost of the heads plus shipping.
never knew W2 heads had a date code on them, where should I look?

Realistically I only need one head because the one is the issue that has all of the cracks, the other is perfectly fine. One was store in the machine shop and the other got separated from it a long time ago and shoved in the back of an old barn where all of the damage occurred

You can probably tell which one got stored in which location LOL

261784493_308675591086246_3950568745497231820_n.jpg

The exhaust ports on the left head look like they have been ported on a bunch
Correct. One has been heavily ported, the other has not. My grandfather got them from his machinist friend that ran sprint cars. He started working on these back in the late 80s (before they went into my grandfathers possession) and ported one before deciding to move up to W8's (I believe?)

I am confident the machine shop I am talking with can repair them. Hell this is a Small Block Ford Brodix head he is repairing right now

257991612_4659689160759616_7470510482322837730_n.jpg

That’s aluminum. That’s fairly easy. Cast iron not so much.

There is a date code cast somewhere on the top of the head.
Right, I understand cast iron welding is almost a lost art but doesn't hurt to try at least

Correct. One has been heavily ported, the other has not. My grandfather got them from his machinist friend that ran sprint cars. He started working on these back in the late 80s (before they went into my grandfathers possession) and ported one before deciding to move up to W8's (I believe?)

so you've got a head that needs welding to repair (and have to be lucky for it to last) and you still have to port it to match your other head. there's probably a reason that one head was tossed in the barn to rot away...

so you've got a head that needs welding to repair (and have to be lucky for it to last) and you still have to port it to match your other head. there's probably a reason that one head was tossed in the barn to rot away...
It got the damage from sitting there........

I think this is a bad rabbit to chase down the hole.

I did just find a singular 810 casting head for sale so I may be able to replace the bad head? As I stated it's just the one that has the damage

s-l1600.jpg

-
Back