Yet another 7260 yoke question: yoke/strap hole center-to-center dimensions

-

mcmlvii

Reaction score
So the 8-3/4 differential in my car was pieced together from multiple sources. The problem is, the straps that hold the u-joint into the 7260 yoke seem to be a wee bit on the large side, such that the u-joint has a very small amount of play (I know, not good). I'm thinking the straps are maybe for a 7290 yoke. The straps are date-coded also, and I've read that possibly only the 7290 straps were date-coded, which also gives credence to my notion.

Anyone have center-to-center dimensions for both the 7260 and 7290 yoke/strap holes? I've searched and found lots of info on yoke differences but couldn't find the dimensions for the holes.

Thanks.

According to Denny's Driveline website the c-t-c of the 7260 straps (Neapco part # 1-0023) is 1.500" and 7290 straps (Neapco 1-0018) are 1.530"

The c-t-c is real close but keep in mind the cap diameter is also different on 7260 and 7290 u-joints so the proper 7260 strap will clamp down on the cap much tighter

That's what I'm hoping. I am going to order some 7260 straps and hopefully fix the problem. Thanks again.

Got the new straps from Denny's Driveline. Nice fit. Thanks again Fishy68 for the info.

The photo below shows the larger (presumably 7290) strap on top and the new correct strap on the bottom.

20190503_133730.jpg

The end play wasn't as loose as it would appear to be in the top photo. The shoulders of the old strap held in the caps fairly well. Forward/aft movement was just a few thousandths, but the larger straps definitely did not belong.

Do you have all the clips on the cups? It shouldn't move side to side, or did I read that wrong? And your cross caps, why do they stick out so far?

Yes, all four snap rings are in place. The movement was never side to side. With the old straps the movement was front to back by just a few thou.

Regarding the cross caps sticking out so far, I don't know. I presume the rear driveshaft yoke is original to the car. The snap ring can be in the photos below.
20190505_141853.jpg
20190505_142318.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back